U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
 
2,299 posts, read 2,621,778 times
Reputation: 1602
It looks like University/Westcott (frequently called the "Westcott Nation" lol) would be a good choice for you, then. 690 and 81 intersect near the base of SU Hill and Teall Ave is across the valley to the north, perpendicular to where Erie Blvd. and 690 run parallel along the length of it. It would be a 5+-minute drive to Teall.

At the top of your price range... there aren't too many with a range of $200-$300K. This is the only one with a reasonable value to the cost, that I could see. Property Details: Additional Photos

$172,500 Property Details: Additional Photos

$179,500 Property Details: Additional Photos

Just outside the Westcott neighborhood area but still in a safe, established "nice area" around the area of the Syracuse/Dewitt border. Searched for with zip codes of 13210, 13214 and 13224.

$159,900 - Property Details: Additional Photos

$159,900 - Property Details: Additional Photos

$164,500 - Property Details: Additional Photos

$168,500 - Property Details: Additional Photos

$169,900 - Property Details: Additional Photos

$214,900 - Property Details: Additional Photos
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 day ago)
 
27,143 posts, read 30,635,648 times
Reputation: 5423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahma Nash View Post
Everything is good

Closer to OCC. Husband is a triathlete; I'm a writer who needs to be more of an exerciser, like to walk, especially with friends - so a park with some distance is nice. He has to both run and bike, so likes a nice, safe place to pound out some miles - 50+ on bike riding. He hates road riding unless the city is very bike friendly. Our church would be on Teall Ave. so that is important to not be so far away for multi-events. Not terribly inconvenient to the airport. Love the idea of university area with the shops, eateries. Looking in the $250-300 range most likely, but not opposed to less of course . Making sure taxes don't add another $1K to payment. Do not want to live in housing that all looks the same, no "builder quality" junk.

thanks for all the help.
You might also like some homes in Eastwood, which is closer to the airport and your church. Here's a website for that part of the city: Walkable Eastwood

Eastwood Neighborhood Association

Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
 
17 posts, read 13,780 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks, I like those houses, the more expensive one is appealing from the outside, but sort of dark inside for me. A bit like a cave, but I bet it's spectacular in person.

I love architectural uniqueness and detail. The older homes that have leaded glass, transoms, great mouldings. Just love all that stuff.

The University area looks appealing, how far is it from OCC? It's strengths vs. Strathmore?

Now, if only the National Guard people will call my husband back, perhaps we will get somewhere.

Hope you are having a great day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 day ago)
 
27,143 posts, read 30,635,648 times
Reputation: 5423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahma Nash View Post
Thanks, I like those houses, the more expensive one is appealing from the outside, but sort of dark inside for me. A bit like a cave, but I bet it's spectacular in person.

I love architectural uniqueness and detail. The older homes that have leaded glass, transoms, great mouldings. Just love all that stuff.

The University area looks appealing, how far is it from OCC? It's strengths vs. Strathmore?

Now, if only the National Guard people will call my husband back, perhaps we will get somewhere.

Hope you are having a great day.
It's not that far from OCC and you can get across town in 20 minutes. So, you aren't really far from anywhere in the area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM
 
2,299 posts, read 2,621,778 times
Reputation: 1602
It's across the south-side valley from OCC but, after thinking about it, your daughter is more likely to cross the south-side anyway (going to shows and getting to I-81), from Strathmore. That's to go... ohhhh- just about anywhere but the northern suburbs and Carousel Mall.

In that case, University/Westcott is a great choice. It's maybe 15 minutes from OCC.

In stengths, University/Westcott is, by far, most appealing, imo. In weaknesses... not as many Tudors? lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM
 
17 posts, read 13,780 times
Reputation: 10
ProulxFam, You said you were homeschooled and went to OCC. Did you finish high school at OCC? She will be a new driver, so I'm just checking on drive-times for that reason. Is the campus safe?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:18 PM
 
2,299 posts, read 2,621,778 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahma Nash View Post
ProulxFam, You said you were homeschooled and went to OCC. Did you finish high school at OCC? She will be a new driver, so I'm just checking on drive-times for that reason. Is the campus safe?
Do you mean did I go to OCC while in high school? No. Since Seton (www.setonhome.org) is a nationally accredited curriculum with it's own grading system, the typical set up of standardized tests and even high school codes for financial aid in college, I didn't need to tier-in to get matriculated. There are some who do, however. The school is definitely aware of how to incorporate homeschooled students so that the transition is painless and yes, taking classes while in high school is one way to get credits before hs graduation and slip into the standard college experience.

OCC is at a kind of unique edge of the city... down the hill is flat-out ghetto. lol - it gets nicer, as you drive up the hill and the other side of OCC is rural. Perfectly safe. I drove it from 17-19 years old, from a suburban/rural area on the other side of central NY without issue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
 
300 posts, read 444,382 times
Reputation: 264
I lived in the University area and attended OCC for my first two years. It's an easy commute and there are two main ways to get there from the University area. Both are easy, one is through the valley and the other is through the South side. The south side is considered to be the poor area but I never had any issues driving through that part of town. However, if your more comfortable with your daughter driving through a "safer" area then I would have her stick to the drive through the Valley.

As far as OCC is concerned, I was suprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. I guess I was not preparing for much but rather found it to be a very good education. It was a great way to get all my core classes done much cheaper then at a 4 year school. Also, I had not done very well on my SAT's but after getting excellent grades at OCC, every single 4 year school I applied to accepted me and none of them required my SAT scores. It was an interesting little tidbit of information to find out that once a person has some college courses under their belt that 4 year schools rarely require SAT's to be admitted as a transfer student.

I know a number of people who were homeschooled and a couple of them went to OCC. They had no issues being accepted into the school.

Oh and if you buy a house for less then what you have budgeted for then a lot of times you can set money aside to refurb parts of the house to your liking. I find that this is especially true for older homes which have had many owners who each have had their own styles. When looking at older homes to buy a lot of times you have to see the house beyond things like big floral wallpaper
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 day ago)
 
27,143 posts, read 30,635,648 times
Reputation: 5423
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Do you mean did I go to OCC while in high school? No. Since Seton (www.setonhome.org) is a nationally accredited curriculum with it's own grading system, the typical set up of standardized tests and even high school codes for financial aid in college, I didn't need to tier-in to get matriculated. There are some who do, however. The school is definitely aware of how to incorporate homeschooled students so that the transition is painless and yes, taking classes while in high school is one way to get credits before hs graduation and slip into the standard college experience.

OCC is at a kind of unique edge of the city... down the hill is flat-out ghetto. lol - it gets nicer, as you drive up the hill and the other side of OCC is rural. Perfectly safe. I drove it from 17-19 years old, from a suburban/rural area on the other side of central NY without issue.
That is not true.....Going down Seneca Turnpike into the Valley is not ghetto at all. Going down South Ave. doesn't start getting rough until Brighton Ave.

If she is coming from the University area, all you have to do is go down Comstock to Ainsley. Then, take a left onto Brighton and a right onto Seneca Turnpike and go across the Valley to Onondaga Hill, where OCC is located.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 1 day ago)
 
27,143 posts, read 30,635,648 times
Reputation: 5423
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I lived in the University area and attended OCC for my first two years. It's an easy commute and there are two main ways to get there from the University area. Both are easy, one is through the valley and the other is through the South side. The south side is considered to be the poor area but I never had any issues driving through that part of town. However, if your more comfortable with your daughter driving through a "safer" area then I would have her stick to the drive through the Valley.

As far as OCC is concerned, I was suprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. I guess I was not preparing for much but rather found it to be a very good education. It was a great way to get all my core classes done much cheaper then at a 4 year school. Also, I had not done very well on my SAT's but after getting excellent grades at OCC, every single 4 year school I applied to accepted me and none of them required my SAT scores. It was an interesting little tidbit of information to find out that once a person has some college courses under their belt that 4 year schools rarely require SAT's to be admitted as a transfer student.

I know a number of people who were homeschooled and a couple of them went to OCC. They had no issues being accepted into the school.

Oh and if you buy a house for less then what you have budgeted for then a lot of times you can set money aside to refurb parts of the house to your liking. I find that this is especially true for older homes which have had many owners who each have had their own styles. When looking at older homes to buy a lot of times you have to see the house beyond things like big floral wallpaper
I totally agree and good point about the home price, as you can get a home you like for less around here and have some money left over to do what you want.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top