U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM

31,940 posts, read 37,944,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Despite technical terms, the Valley IS only where people see and perceive it to be. You wouldn't say that the reservation is "the valley" purely because of topographical location. Technically, the south side is IN the valley but we know it's not the same area. They do, however, heavily bleed into each other.

I would neither live there nor advise anyone else to live there. It would seem that you would, from your defense on the subject. This is, as I said, where we strongly disagree. And I'm okay with that... but I still reserve the right to retain my own position on the matter, which is the same as before.

Yes- you are safe to drive through the south side and valley area. I just wouldn't live there or make a habit of stopping.
That's fine if you disagree, but I just wouldn't call it "ghetto". While some parts of the Valley neighborhood(s) get some spillover in crime(mainly near Ballantyne Rd.), there are many neighborhoods that are perfectly fine(especially south of Seneca Turnpike). I just get irked if the people don't get to know the area outside of just stopping by. If one doesn't want to get to know the neighborhood, that's fine, but that would limit one knowledge of such. That's not personal, but goes for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 PM

350 posts, read 516,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's fine if you disagree, but I just wouldn't call it "ghetto". While some parts of the Valley neighborhood(s) get some spillover in crime(mainly near Ballantyne Rd.), there are many neighborhoods that are perfectly fine(especially south of Seneca Turnpike). I just get irked if the people don't get to know the area outside of just stopping by. If one doesn't want to get to know the neighborhood, that's fine, but that would limit one knowledge of such. That's not personal, but goes for anyone.
I guess I feel the same way. There are actually sections of the Valley that are very nice and have some really beautiful homes and neighborhoods that are well taken care of. On the subject of the South side, I actually have met several people who live in the South side. They may be poor but beyond that they are not involved in crime and want the same for their kids that anyone would want, a safe childhood.

But Proulxfamily, I can understand not wanting to recommend any of those areas to outsiders due to not wanting those areas to be the first impression a person has of an area and I agree with you about that. The issues that bother me more are the life long residents of CNY who only complain about the South side but don't want to really "see" the area for what it truly is and that is an area with a lot of poverty. There might be a lot of poverty but there are truly some wonderful people who live in poor areas.

On side note a personal pet peeve of mine is the term "ghetto". I never did like the term "ghetto" which was used as the area Jews were forced to live before being sent to the concentration camps. But I know people use it to describe poor urban areas in the US now, it just doesn't sit well with me.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 PM

2,389 posts, read 3,099,929 times
Agreed- on all counts.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 PM

17 posts, read 15,478 times
Your discussion has freaked me out a little bit, but I understand about cities, there are poor areas, areas overcome by crime and areas one wouldn't stop in, frequent or choose to spend time in unless called to minister there.

I just want my daughter to be safe at OCC if this move takes place. I don't want to constantly have to think about if I am safe in my home, since my husband travels. I don't want to have a sense of foreboding when I pull in my driveway and unlock my door.

And, I don't want a cookie cutter house in the burbs like they have all over DC, Dallas - other big cities we have lived in before.

Thanks for all the good conversation. I hope you are all good friends - I have noticed you post a lot across the boards, always trying to help folks. You would have a great time at a dinner party, comparing notes on what you all think the other looks like based on their posts. I bet you've thought about it!

Have a great evening. I may ask more questions later.

Tahma

Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
I guess I feel the same way. There are actually sections of the Valley that are very nice and have some really beautiful homes and neighborhoods that are well taken care of. On the subject of the South side, I actually have met several people who live in the South side. They may be poor but beyond that they are not involved in crime and want the same for their kids that anyone would want, a safe childhood.

But Proulxfamily, I can understand not wanting to recommend any of those areas to outsiders due to not wanting those areas to be the first impression a person has of an area and I agree with you about that. The issues that bother me more are the life long residents of CNY who only complain about the South side but don't want to really "see" the area for what it truly is and that is an area with a lot of poverty. There might be a lot of poverty but there are truly some wonderful people who live in poor areas.

On side note a personal pet peeve of mine is the term "ghetto". I never did like the term "ghetto" which was used as the area Jews were forced to live before being sent to the concentration camps. But I know people use it to describe poor urban areas in the US now, it just doesn't sit well with me.
Very good points and I agree as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahma Nash View Post
Your discussion has freaked me out a little bit, but I understand about cities, there are poor areas, areas overcome by crime and areas one wouldn't stop in, frequent or choose to spend time in unless called to minister there.

I just want my daughter to be safe at OCC if this move takes place. I don't want to constantly have to think about if I am safe in my home, since my husband travels. I don't want to have a sense of foreboding when I pull in my driveway and unlock my door.

And, I don't want a cookie cutter house in the burbs like they have all over DC, Dallas - other big cities we have lived in before.

Thanks for all the good conversation. I hope you are all good friends - I have noticed you post a lot across the boards, always trying to help folks. You would have a great time at a dinner party, comparing notes on what you all think the other looks like based on their posts. I bet you've thought about it!

Have a great evening. I may ask more questions later.

Tahma
Don't worry, as there are some fine neighborhoods in and outside of the city of Syracuse that I think you would like. So, there are options.

Maybe something near the church in Eastwood or in Sedgwick could work. You would be close to highway access(I-690) as well. In Eastwood, streets like Shotwell Park, Hickok, the western half of Sunnycrest Rd and Nichols, along with some others, would fit the bill. Sedgwick itself is an old money neighborhood with some of the nicest homes in the area, imo.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:24 AM

Even with the worst parts of the city, I feel perfectly safe driving near/by/through any of them.

University/Westcott is, imo, the safest-feeling part of the city. The valley/south side is across the natural barrier of the I-81 overpass. In general, the higher your elevation, the better the city neighborhood. Sedgewick is at the top of the long, plateaued hill on the north side. Strathmore is at the top of where the south and west sides meet. University/Westcott is even higher, on the east side. I wouldn't worry about living in the Univ/Westcott area at all. When you visit, you'll see what I mean... the higher up, the nicer it is. Again, it's another natural barrier.

The south side/valley area lies in the long valley to the south of Syracuse's downtown- Strathmore/Onondaga Hill flank it to west and University Hill/Westcott flank it to the east.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 10-15-2010 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Even with the worst parts of the city, I feel perfectly safe driving near/by/through any of them.

University/Westcott is, imo, the safest-feeling part of the city. The valley/south side is across the natural barrier of the I-81 overpass. In general, the higher your elevation, the better the city neighborhood. Sedgewick is at the top of the long, plateaued hill on the north side. Strathmore is at the top of where the south and west sides meet. University/Westcott is even higher, on the east side. I wouldn't worry about living in the Univ/Westcott area at all. When you visit, you'll see what I mean... the higher up, the nicer it is. Again, it's another natural barrier.

The south side/valley area lies in the long valley to the south of Syracuse's downtown- Strathmore/Onondaga Hill flank it to west and University Hill/Westcott flank it to the east.
Also, if you do go with the University/Westcott/Meadowbrook area of the city, check out historic residential districts like Scottholm and Berkeley Park. Both have nice older homes that have plenty of character and are safe. Salt Springs, another Eastside neighborhood has some similar homes between LeMoyne College and East Genesee Street. Same with the Meadowbrook neighborhood near Nottingham High School(Bradford Heights) along Euclid Ave. This continues into DeWitt, an adjacent suburb, in the Orvilton Dr./Jamesville Road area around East Genesee Street.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 15,478 times
any opinion on Geddes?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahma Nash View Post
any opinion on Geddes?
Do you have a zip code or street name? There are North and South Geddes Streets (NO! to both), sometimes Solvay (another no) is called Geddes, and then an area in Liverpool/North Syracuse (blue collar, a lot of winding roads and little ranches but is absolutely fine), near the city-end of the Onondaga Lake, that is (I believe) in the Town of Geddes. Real estate listings will say "Geddes" when it's really in Solvay or Liverpool/North Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area