Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times

Advertisements

It seems that the City continues to be beholden to special interests (Driscoll did the same thing), despite the so-called bidding process.

The city required bidders to submit proof of “a minimum of three years verifiable experience.” County records show that Conner and Falcone filed a business certificate for B&N May 4, two weeks before bids were due.

Council narrowly approves new company for Syracuse airport contract | syracuse.com

As the article points out, Buffalo, Rochester and Albany airports do not engage in this activity. Those AIRPORT AUTHORITY'S let the airlines choose lost baggage handling. So much for the visionary Stephanie Miner! I question whether there will be an airport authority after this stunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,950 times
And how do you know that Ms. Miner had anything to do with this? The article does not really imply that she had any knowledge of this.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM

Oh come on boom, Syracuse firefighter Bruce Conner and retired United Auto Workers union official Neil Falcone who formed BN Delivery were major campaign contributors to Miners campaign. Both of these fat thugs created the company two weeks before bids were due? Are you kidding me? The article also states qualifications include three years experience. Gee, what a shock, no comment. Come on boom, give me a break. It is typical cronyism like this that is holding back Syracuse and its potential. To add insult to injury, the P-S states that "....the city will not release copies of the proposals or how the committee scored them until after the council approves a contractor" Read the article!!

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...rters_pic.html

Besides, (the article points out)..."operators of other Upstate airports say Syracuse might avoid controversy by following their lead. At the Albany, Rochester and Buffalo airports, the airlines are on their own to select lost-baggage delivery companies. None of those airports gets involved in the selection.
“We have no involvement with that whatsoever,” said Douglas Hartmayer, speaking for the Buffalo airport authority."

Despite some changes in the region, the City of Syracuse is lead by a bunch of small minded individuals.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
I wonder if this contributes to Hancock having some of the most expensive fares out of all of the major upstate cities (it's often cheaper to fly out of Albany, Rochester or Buffalo, compared to syracuse).

Fares at Albany Int'l Airport 34th most expensive in nation - The Business Review (Albany)

Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I wonder if this contributes to Hancock having some of the most expensive fares out of all of the major upstate cities (it's often cheaper to fly out of Albany, Rochester or Buffalo, compared to syracuse).

Fares at Albany Int'l Airport 34th most expensive in nation - The Business Review (Albany)
It depends, as you can take JetBlue to NYC and go anywhere you want to. Besides that though, that is correct from what I've seen. With that said, many Canadians still come to Syracuse to fly.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post

You bet it is! As the article points out, according to the DOT report. Syracuse was ranked the 21st most costliest airport with an average fare of $366.76, an increase of 7.58 percent from the end of 2006 (($340.92) but down 3.5 percent from ($380.04) in 2000. Rochester, ranked 63rd out of 100, had a fourth-quarter average of $305.07, up 5.11 percent from a year ago ($290.23) but down 12 percent from the same period in 2000 ($346.45). Buffalo had the cheapest fares. The average air fare for Buffalo Niagara International Airport increased 5.12 percent in the fourth quarter of 2007 but the facility still ranked among the cheapest of the nation's top 100 airports.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
You bet it is! As the article points out, according to the DOT report. Syracuse was ranked the 21st most costliest airport with an average fare of $366.76, an increase of 7.58 percent from the end of 2006 (($340.92) but down 3.5 percent from ($380.04) in 2000. Rochester, ranked 63rd out of 100, had a fourth-quarter average of $305.07, up 5.11 percent from a year ago ($290.23) but down 12 percent from the same period in 2000 ($346.45). Buffalo had the cheapest fares. The average air fare for Buffalo Niagara International Airport increased 5.12 percent in the fourth quarter of 2007 but the facility still ranked among the cheapest of the nation's top 100 airports.
Syracuse needs Southwest or Airtran (Rochester has Airtran and BUF has both I think). In the meanwhile, hancock passengers get nailed by United and US Airways with sky high fares.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
I found it both ironic and humorous that the Driscoll financial supporter who got the previous contract handed to him on a platter is now crying foul when Miner supporters get the same inside track.

This reminds me of the old taxi system - you needed a medallion to be able to pick up cab passengers at the airport. The medallions were limited in number and sold for big money - back in those days a guy who owned one cab and a medallion could make a decent living just on airport fares. They dumped the whole system and awarded an exclusive airport transportation contract to a "bidder" who just happened to be a major financial supporter of the then mayor (I think it was Young or Bernardi but this might have gone all the way back to Alexander.) Crooked then - crooked now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area