U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM

13 posts, read 9,079 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just accepted a position at SU and I have about 10 days to pack up and move. I really don't want to find a temporary place so I'm looking to find a place in a safe neighborhood with professionals/grad students/families, basically a quiet, low-key neighborhood. I'd prefer house apartments to apartment buildings because I prefer hardwood floors and I'm not a fan of heights.

From what I've been reading, I think I'd like to be within walking distance (along a safe route) to downtown. I'm interested in proximity to good restaurants, coffeeshops, bakeries, etc. When I visited, parking downtown was kind of ridiculous. I'd rather not be right downtown because I need a second bedroom for a home office/guest room and I'm aiming to average $1000/mo (including utilities) for the year.

I'd really like some advice about neighborhoods and streets. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears. Do any of these addresses set off alarms?

428 Lodi St: 428 Lodi St, Syracuse, NY 13203 to S Salina St - Google Maps

825 N Salina St: loc: 825 n salina Street Syracuse NY US - Google Maps

1706 Park St, near Washington Sq: Map

Whittier Ave & Burnet Park Dr: loc: whittier at burnet park dr Syracuse NY US - Google Maps

Court St & Ross Park: loc: Ross Park at Court Street Syracuse NY US - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:44 PM

56,139 posts, read 80,213,622 times
Out of the apartments listed, I'd go with the last two due to safety and proximity to a bus line and are in walkable areas near businesses. You would probably like something in the Westcott/University area or maybe nearby parts of the Meadowbrook or Outer Comstock neighborhoods. Eastwood might work too.

If you don't mind areas outside of the city, Liverpool might have something.

This website might help you find what you are looking for: MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps Just look under Syracuse.

BTW- If the North Salina address is Walier Lofts, that might work too. As long as you stay on North Salina, you should be fine due to some decent activity and it is a well lit street. It gives you that direct route to Downtown too. Actually, you are in the Little Italy area and there are restaurants and some other nightlife in that area as well. I've met people that have lived there and were fine.

With the Ross Park location, there are some businesses on Grant Boulevard that include an Italian restaurant(take out generally), a couple of mini marts, a cleaners, a sports bar(Change of Pace), another bar and another take out restaurant, along with a few others. Shop City Shopping Center isn't too far and you can take a bus there. It has some restaurants, a grocery store, an auto parts store, a Blockbuster and a few more stores. You could possibly walk to it, if one has time. A hidden gem area of the Northside, imo.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-20-2010 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 PM

Also, where at SU would you be working at? To get there from Ross Park, you can take Grant to Teall. Then, take a left onto East Genesee to Westcott. Take a right and to Euclid, take a right to SU.

With the Tipp Hill address, you can West Fayette or West Genesee(preferable) to Downtown. To SU, you can take the 690 exit off of North Geddes Street. You will go Eastbound on 690 to 81 South to the Adams St. exit to SU.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 9,079 times
Thanks, ckhthankgod! That's a lot of helpful information to work through. I'd be working on Waverly, near the campus Sheraton. Transit times aren't really that important to me. I drove through downtown during rush hour in downtown to get a feel for the traffic and it didn't come close to the horrors of rush hour in DC and the suburbs. I just want something in a safe neighborhood where I can walk to dinner and a movie instead of driving everywhere. Of course, when it's in the negatives outside, I'd be driving anyway.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,955,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveches View Post
Thanks, ckhthankgod! That's a lot of helpful information to work through. I'd be working on Waverly, near the campus Sheraton. Transit times aren't really that important to me. I drove through downtown during rush hour in downtown to get a feel for the traffic and it didn't come close to the horrors of rush hour in DC and the suburbs. I just want something in a safe neighborhood where I can walk to dinner and a movie instead of driving everywhere. Of course, when it's in the negatives outside, I'd be driving anyway.
If you want to be able to walk to dinner and a movie, I'd suggest the eastern side of the Eastwood neighborhood. The Palace Theatre is still there. The Hollywood, in Mattydale, is a close drive... they have $1.75 movies and $1 Tuesdays with movies that circulate from what's already been in the big theaters but won't be out on DVD for another month or two.

The Westcott would work as well IF their theatre was currently operated. I don't think it is. :/ Still, they have plenty of non-movie things to do... the Westcott Theatre's shows, for example. (It's not a movie theater- they have concerts of all kinds, small plays, community events, etc.) The village of Manlius also has a movie theater (mostly independent/indie/foreign films) and restaurants in walking distance but that's probably further from downtown than you'd like to be (20-minute commute during rush hour.)

Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
If you want to be able to walk to dinner and a movie, I'd suggest the eastern side of the Eastwood neighborhood. The Palace Theatre is still there. The Hollywood, in Mattydale, is a close drive... they have $1.75 movies and $1 Tuesdays with movies that circulate from what's already been in the big theaters but won't be out on DVD for another month or two.

The Westcott would work as well IF their theatre was currently operated. I don't think it is. :/ Still, they have plenty of non-movie things to do... the Westcott Theatre's shows, for example. (It's not a movie theater- they have concerts of all kinds, small plays, community events, etc.) The village of Manlius also has a movie theater (mostly independent/indie/foreign films) and restaurants in walking distance but that's probably further from downtown than you'd like to be (20-minute commute during rush hour.)
I agree, Eastwood would work. Ross Park isn't too far from Eastwood at all. Just a quick bus ride/drive down Grant to James and take a left turn. The Hollywood in Mattydale isn't too far. Same with Carousel Center.

Manlius would work too. Westcott's theater is now a small concert venue, but there are restaurants, a couple of nightlife spots and some other stores. For a theater, you can take a quick bus ride/drive down East Genesee Street to Shoppingtown Mall in DeWitt.

For the Tipperary Hill location, you could take a bus or drive to Carousel Center for the movies and there is some shopping going west on West Genesee Street into Fairmount.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-21-2010 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 AM

580 posts, read 1,012,409 times
The North Salina location isn't too bad - not the quickest walk to University Hill (I've done it a couple times, never under 35 minutes), but it's reasonably walkable.

That Lodi location is good, though the immediate neighborhood might be a little dicey. I live relatively close to there, and tend favor location over anything else, but depending on your tolerance for these things, you might find that stretch of Lodi to be a touch too "marginal."

Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
The North Salina location isn't too bad - not the quickest walk to University Hill (I've done it a couple times, never under 35 minutes), but it's reasonably walkable.

That Lodi location is good, though the immediate neighborhood might be a little dicey. I live relatively close to there, and tend favor location over anything else, but depending on your tolerance for these things, you might find that stretch of Lodi to be a touch too "marginal."
Is the Lodi location close to Hawley-Green/south of James? If so, I agree that it is a matter of tolerance/taste, as it isn't the roughest part of town, but is rough around the edges. Very working class, with some gentrification in that area. You can see the campus from there.

The Washington Park location is similar to the Lodi location in terms of environment/type of neighborhood. I'd dare say it is probably a bit safer too.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,955,891 times
Downtown might be a good option as well... with the walkway by Limestone Creek being built, between downtown and Carousel (biggest Regal theater in the area), it would be a great place for walkability. You'd have the restaurant/bar/club district within a few blocks to the south (or be right IN it), Carousel to the northwest and SU to the southeast. You'd be smack-dab between them and near enough to the central bus hub to get any way Centro runs fairly quickly. The IMAX theatre is inside the MoST (Museum of Science and Technology) and Landmark Theatre (film festival, special events, shows) is only a block away from there.

Ohhhh- if I was without children... I/we'd be downtown, the more I think about it. I'm loving what the city is becoming! So much growth toward what we SHOULD be... a community that actually communicates with each other. Helping out, seeing each other on the streets on walks and while shopping, getting together for a night of good talks and laughter.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM

186 posts, read 537,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
The Hollywood, in Mattydale, is a close drive... they have $1.75 movies and $1 Tuesdays with movies that circulate from what's already been in the big theaters but won't be out on DVD for another month or two.
More great news! We don't have those in AZ anymore. Not any that I know of anyway.

**Fun Fact** Did you know that movie theaters make absolutely nothing from tick sales? That's why they charge so much for the food and drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area