Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM

379 posts, read 509,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Well then you'll like it x9! lol - there are 9 Wegmans within half an hour of me, the closest being 5 minutes away. No matter what suburb or part of the city I've lived in, I don't think I've ever been more than a 5 minute drive from a Wegmans!
I love it! Huge plus for Syracuse. I can't believe that Wegmans doesn't have a single store in the Albany metro. It was a pretty big downside when I was researching that area as a potential relocation spot. Having been to Wegmans for the last 10 years, I'm not sure if I can do without it, for dietary reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 02:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Is it possible to find a 3 bed, 2 bath in decent condition in the nicer burbs for around $125k? Is a garage very important due to the high snowfall? Are basements and fireplaces common in Syracuse area homes?

Here are some homes in the town of Camillus (includes hamlet of Fairmount) that meet your criteria:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S234343
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S239474
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243400
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243433
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S240867
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243128
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S240669
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S238957
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S239562
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S242999
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243494
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243274
http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Search/info.cgi?mlnum=S233687

Here are some homes in the town of Geddes that are in the hamlet of Westvale (adjacent to Fairmount/ Town of Camillus)
http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Sear...?mlnum=S243466
http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Sear...?mlnum=S236095
http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Sear...?mlnum=S237640
http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Sear...?mlnum=S232611

Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM

97 posts, read 260,178 times
Union Federal-

Dont worry, the type of home your looking for is extremely easy to find in Syracuse suburbs. Pretty much all of the major suburbs that kind of selection, however some more than others, but you certainly have aton of options. I would highly recommend a garage and if you are getting a house around that price range, then pretty much all homes like what you described come with a garage here. I'm sure you already know this, but $125K will get you much more here than in NJ or the NYC suburbs.

Here's are great site that may help you if your looking at whats available here:
cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

As far as Wegmans, they are beginning to expand east, but Albany looks pretty far away from getting one, but the rest of NY, including Syracuse, has several. 4 in the northern suburbs, 2 in the west, 2 in the east, and there's one or two stores located in the city.

And on a personal note, dont worry, there are aton of good looking single women here. Of course thats for you to decide. But I never found Jersey Guidos to be that attractive haha.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,736,141 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if Pittsburgh was Appalachian or Midwestern in feel ( I said Midwestern because I went into eastern Ohio and it had the same feel as PGH), but I do know that it did not, in any way, seem like a NYC or Philly, Boston, or DC. I've spent most of my life around NYC and the Philly burbs, and the feel out there was significantly different, and much more in line with my personality. I have also spent a lot of time in western Virginia and eastern West Virginia, and it didn't feel close to that either. People in that region were friendly as well, and laid back, but extremely impoverished and a bit weary of outsiders and especially Northerners.

Based on what has been described here, I'm thinking that I might put Camillus at the top of my list of places to visit when I come. Sounds perfect. First, I like that it is blue collar and down to earth. Also, looking on a map, it looks easily accessed from the south, which I need because I will be going into NJ a couple of times a month. Marcellus and Elbridge look nice too, but perhaps a bit too rural for what I'm looking for. I would like to have access to downtown Syracuse within 20 minutes drive. I'm assuming that Syracuse doesn't really have southern suburbs due to the Indian reservation? I will also def. check out Manlius and Fayetteville as I hear nothing but good things about these towns.

Is it possible to find a 3 bed, 2 bath in decent condition in the nicer burbs for around $125k? Is a garage very important due to the high snowfall? Are basements and fireplaces common in Syracuse area homes?
I'm in the village of Manlius and we bought our home 2.5 years ago for $120K. It needed lipstick for my fairly-fussy self, and a few upgrades, but nothing more than a few thousand dollars since purchase, doing everything ourselves. I'll send you a link to my Facebook album, via PM, of the first tour we took through this house. It wasn't bad but we've made a LOT of changes since then.

There are probably a dozen homes under $125K, at any given time, between zip codes 13104 and 13066. Manlius and Fayetteville, respectively. I prefer the site of Prudential Real Estate, as they list a lot of photos, a ton of details about the house and the taxes... separated and then the total. These homes usually just need a coat of paint and some elbow grease and you end up having a decent moneymaker on your hands.

Example- $99,900 with cheap taxes of $3237. Annual homeowner's through Skeele Insurance in the village would be around $500. On .41 acres and in THE area for elementary/middle schools in the district, even for this area. Easily walkable to everything. Property Details: Additional Photos

We have a 400sq.ft. garage but, like most people I know, we don't keep our car in it. If you drive around the eastern 'burbs, you'll see more cars outside the garages - at any time of day - than inside. We use our garages for workshops and storage. The northern 'burbs seem to have fewer people parking their cars outside, although North Syracuse seems to have a sweet custom of putting garage doors made of screening, to make their garage a social space. lol - garages are more used (as in, people put their cars inside) in the northern area. Parking outside isn't THE issue... salt is the issue, if any, since cars aren't made of metal EVERYWHERE like they used to be. A good $8 ice-scraper/snowbrush makes cleaning off the car quick work... even faster if you make a habit of starting your vehicle and starting the defrost 15 minutes before you intend to leave. The snow mostly just falls off then. If there's a storm forecasted, parking near the end of the driveway and you can usually just pull out with a sudden hit, in reverse, on the gas, and hope it's mostly melted by the time you get home. lol

Last edited by proulxfamily; 10-22-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 03:31 PM

92,018 posts, read 122,173,887 times
I believe that the reason that you don't see Wegmans in the Albany area due to Price Chopper having it's HQ's in Schenectady and there is supposedly some agreement between the two in terms of crossing each others home territory(Wegmans is based in Rochester). Interestingly, we have both supermarkets in our area. We also have Buffalo based Tops, which bought out the P&C markets(based in Syracuse).

As for homes, you should be good and like others said, you can go pretty much anywhere with that budget. You might also like something in or around the village of Liverpool, which has quick access to I-81 to Syracuse. It's a nice village that has a nice business district and a great park(Onondaga Lake Park). The greater Liverpool area has about 55,000 people and has a range of people economically. It's also known for being one of the more diverse suburban areas in other ways too.

You might also like the East Syracuse area, which also has a range of people economically and in terms of having a mix of a blue collar vibe and some very nice suburban areas.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Here are some homes in the town of Camillus (includes hamlet of Fairmount) that meet your criteria:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S234343
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S239474
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243400
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243433
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S240867
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243128
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S240669
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S238957
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S239562
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S242999
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243494
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243274
http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Search/info.cgi?mlnum=S233687

Here are some homes in the town of Geddes that are in the hamlet of Westvale (adjacent to Fairmount/ Town of Camillus)
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S243466
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S236095
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S237640
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S232611
Wow- thank you so much for posting this! Some real nice homes here in that price range. These homes would be $280k or more in this part of NJ. Taxes are surprisingly high, but it is offset by the cost of the homes here, so its still pretty cheap. I'm assuming that towns with lower taxes are probably outside of Onondaga county and extremely rural.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,736,141 times
Quote:
Wow- thank you so much for posting this! Some real nice homes here in that price range. These homes would be $280k or more in this part of NJ. Taxes are surprisingly high, but it is offset by the cost of the homes here, so its still pretty cheap. I'm assuming that towns with lower taxes are probably outside of Onondaga county and extremely rural.
It depends on every.single.house. Even on the same street. You NEED to check the taxes on every home you're interested in. We have a beautiful 5bd, 2ba cape colonial on a third of an acre in one of the nicest suburbs in the metro... the $59K 2bd, 1ba that needs a TON of work, inside and out, a block down has taxes of $1500 more than ours. Previous homeowners need to have challenged the tax increases to keep the taxes low. And, as a rule, the older the home, the cheaper the taxes. Not always but typically, that's the case.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese522 View Post
Union Federal-

Dont worry, the type of home your looking for is extremely easy to find in Syracuse suburbs. Pretty much all of the major suburbs that kind of selection, however some more than others, but you certainly have aton of options. I would highly recommend a garage and if you are getting a house around that price range, then pretty much all homes like what you described come with a garage here. I'm sure you already know this, but $125K will get you much more here than in NJ or the NYC suburbs.

Here's are great site that may help you if your looking at whats available here:
cnyrealtor.com | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

As far as Wegmans, they are beginning to expand east, but Albany looks pretty far away from getting one, but the rest of NY, including Syracuse, has several. 4 in the northern suburbs, 2 in the west, 2 in the east, and there's one or two stores located in the city.

And on a personal note, dont worry, there are aton of good looking single women here. Of course thats for you to decide. But I never found Jersey Guidos to be that attractive haha.

Ha ha- neither do I. I'd rather smell the Dinosaur BBQ rather than Axe body spray....Good to hear that their are a ton of good looking women in Syracuse, instead of good looking women that are a ton :-)

Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It depends on every.single.house. Even on the same street. You NEED to check the taxes on every home you're interested in. We have a beautiful 5bd, 2ba cape colonial on a third of an acre in one of the nicest suburbs in the metro... the $59K 2bd, 1ba that needs a TON of work, inside and out, a block down has taxes of $1500 more than ours. Previous homeowners need to have challenged the tax increases to keep the taxes low. And, as a rule, the older the home, the cheaper the taxes. Not always but typically, that's the case.
Just from briefly looking around, I can see that the tax rates vary greatly. Like you said, even homes nearby. Generally speaking, it looks like a home in my price range will be a $4k tax bill, give or take. But, I'd much rather have a cheaper home with higher taxes than an expensive home with low taxes. Obviously, because you can make double payments and pay the house off much quicker. As well as you get something back for your taxes (good schools, garbage pickup, police, etc)

Old 10-22-2010, 04:03 PM

92,018 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Actually, the town of Salina is a suburb with lower taxes. There is a website that shows averages for towns and SD's. Just Google "Democrat & Chronicle Tax Rates", which is from the Rochester newspaper. You can check any county in the state and by the price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area