U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM

8,080 posts, read 9,522,024 times

Advertisements

Reading the total cost for a 100k valued home I just can't see paying almost 5 times the taxes I pay now, we would pay $870.00 even at $1740.00 for a 200K valued home it's still way less than $4500.

Some posters ask if there are other taxes we do pay personal property tax on our cars but that amount to less than $200 a year and yet it's the most hated tax we have.

I am curious do the extra taxes you pay for gasoline also get applied to home heating oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM

56,341 posts, read 80,600,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Reading the total cost for a 100k valued home I just can't see paying almost 5 times the taxes I pay now, we would pay $870.00 even at $1740.00 for a 200K valued home it's still way less than $4500.

Some posters ask if there are other taxes we do pay personal property tax on our cars but that amount to less than $200 a year and yet it's the most hated tax we have.

I am curious do the extra taxes you pay for gasoline also get applied to home heating oil?
I've never heard of the gas tax being applied to home heating oil.

Also, I thought you also have other taxes on other types of property in VA. I thought that the newer the vehicle, the higher the tax/fee. Do they have a toll tax in VA? I notice that overall cost of living is about the same for Upstate NY areas and VA areas.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,967,639 times
We don't have any vehicle tax besides the sales tax at sale/first registration of the vehicle. Registration is calculated by vehicle weight... ours runs around $40. Again, that's every other year.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM

8,080 posts, read 9,522,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've never heard of the gas tax being applied to home heating oil.

Also, I thought you also have other taxes on other types of property in VA. I thought that the newer the vehicle, the higher the tax/fee. Do they have a toll tax in VA? I notice that overall cost of living is about the same for Upstate NY areas and VA areas.
I didn't know if the extra gas tax in NY applied to all petrolium products, thanks.

You are right with the car tax, the rate is $3.50 per $100 of NADA Value, then 65% of that figure is written off so a new $28,000 vehicle should cost $980.00 - $637 (tax relief) = $343 tax bill for that year.

What is a toll tax? we have very little toll roads.

Link to my areas tax rates:

Approved Tax and Fee Schedule - The Official Website of Henrico County

Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I didn't know if the extra gas tax in NY applied to all petrolium products, thanks.

You are right with the car tax, the rate is $3.50 per $100 of NADA Value, then 65% of that figure is written off so a new $28,000 vehicle should cost $980.00 - $637 (tax relief) = $343 tax bill for that year.

You can

Old 12-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:

You can get tax relief from those averages too. STAR, as long as it's still around, is one thing to look into. If you are a veteran, you also can get a tax reduction. I don't know if you noticed, but the Syracuse area was voted recently as a top 10 location for military retirees. So, there are some things to look into to get a tax reduction.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,727,859 times
There's definitely something off on the Skaneateles village taxes! Last summer I looked at a house priced around $280K and the taxes were over $10K. That amount was based on an old assessment and would certainly go up with the sale of the home. This house was right in the village.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 AM

That is why it is good to fight assessments and many times you can get a reduction that way as well. Keep in mind that these are averages, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, think about you can get in terms of how much home for your price range. Many times, you might get what you want for less, if you know where to look.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,967,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's definitely something off on the Skaneateles village taxes! Last summer I looked at a house priced around $280K and the taxes were over $10K. That amount was based on an old assessment and would certainly go up with the sale of the home. This house was right in the village.
It would NOT certainly go up with the sale of the home... sales' prices, at least here, don't increase the TAX assessment. New homes, where there's no existing basis for tax assessments previously, have that full value tax assessment.

We bought our home for nearly $50K over the then-current tax assessment... it's worth more than that now, at about double the tax assessment. The sale of our home didn't increase the tax assessment... but small improvements on the outside did increase it by $200/year. Our TAXES didn't increase that much... the assessment did. I probably have enough spare change in my coat pocket to cover how much the actual tax payment increase was. lol

Old 12-11-2010, 10:44 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,727,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It would NOT certainly go up with the sale of the home... sales' prices, at least here, don't increase the TAX assessment. New homes, where there's no existing basis for tax assessments previously, have that full value tax assessment.

We bought our home for nearly $50K over the then-current tax assessment... it's worth more than that now, at about double the tax assessment. The sale of our home didn't increase the tax assessment... but small improvements on the outside did increase it by $200/year. Our TAXES didn't increase that much... the assessment did. I probably have enough spare change in my coat pocket to cover how much the actual tax payment increase was. lol
Most places in NY reassess homes when they sell. I went through this when I bought my NY house. Then 4 months later it was assessed again and magically it increased significantly in value. I fought that second assessment and they dropped it back to what it was.

You're lucky your outside improvements only increased your value by $200. That's not true for many areas in NY. Where I lived, just seal coating your driveway could increase your assessment.

Also are in actually in the village of Skaneateles? We were told by the realtor that the house would definitely be reassessed once it sold because the assessment was so old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or