U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,176,304 times

Advertisements

Onondaga County Property & School Taxes

County taxes for houses assessed at $100,000

Town/City.....Tax
Geddes........$634
Van Buren.....$632
LaFayette.....$625
Lysander.......$614
DeWitt......... $606
Syracuse......$605
Pompey........$571
Spafford.......$565
Otisco..........$564
Skaneateles..$560
Cicero......... $545
Onondaga.... $536
Tully............$525
Manlius.........$516
Camillus........$514
Marcellus......$497
Clay............$492
Salina..........$485
Fabius..........$478
Elbridge........$473

(Source:Syracuse Post Standard)

Town taxes for houses assessed at $100,000
Town/City.....Tax
Fabius........ $761
Camillus...... $733
Syracuse..... $686
Otisco........ $574
Marcellus..... $530
Van Buren.... $515
Tully........... $513
Geddes........ $470
Elbridge....... $466
Salina......... $447
DeWitt........ $434
LaFayette.... $411
Cicero......... $366
Spafford...... $305
Onondaga.... $257
Clay............ $239
Pompey....... $216
Lysander..... $165

(Source: http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ (broken link) )

School Taxes on a $100,000 house by school district (Only the most populated areas listed)

City of Syracuse ~ $3,544

Town of Manlius
Fayetteville-Manlius ~ $2,577
East Syracuse-Minoa ~ $2,416

Town of Pompey
Fayetteville-Manlius ~ $2,577

Town of Lysander
Baldwinsville ~ $2,483
Phoenix ~ $2,535

Town of Salina
Liverpool ~ $2,613
North Syracuse ~ $2,158

Town of DeWitt
Jamesville-DeWitt ~ $2,141
East Syracuse-Minoa ~ $2,416

Town of Onondaga
Westhill ~ $2,429
West Genesee ~ $2,275

Town of Camillus
West Genesee ~ $2,273

Town of Clay
North Syracuse ~ $2,067
Liverpool ~ $2,615
Baldwinsville ~ $2,484

Town of Cicero
North Syracuse ~ $2,068
Central Square ~ $1,831

(Source: http://php.democratandchronicle.com/tax_rates/ (broken link) )

Total Taxes for houses assessed at $100,000

City of Syracuse ~ $4,835

Town of Manlius
Fayetteville-Manlius ~ $3,525
East Syracuse-Minoa ~ $3,366

Town of Salina
Liverpool ~ $3,545
North Syracuse ~ $3,090

Town of Camillus
West Genesee ~ $3,520

Town of DeWitt
Jamesville-DeWitt ~ $3,181
East Syracuse-Minoa ~ $3,456

Town of Pompey
Fayetteville-Manlius ~ $3,364

Town of Lysander
Baldwinsville ~ $3,262
Phoenix ~ $3,314

Town of Onondaga
Westhill ~ $3,222
West Genesee ~ $3,068

Town of Clay
North Syracuse ~ $2,798
Liverpool ~ $3,346
Baldwinsville ~ $3,215

Town of Cicero
North Syracuse ~ $2,979
Central Square ~ $2,742

Villages aren't listed yet.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 10-25-2010 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Interesting and I wonder how other counties match up.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM

1,668 posts, read 2,380,754 times
For comparative purposes, here are some numbers for Orange County, Florida. It is comparing apples to oranges (lol) and I am not rubbing salt in any wound, but your schools are better than ours by far!

County Property Taxes:

last year, taxes were approximately $488 for every $100,000 of taxable value in Orange County — plus about $51 in taxes for voter-approved debt. The rate will go up to about $515 per $100,000 this year.

School Taxes:

Last year, taxes were about $743 per $100,000 in value, taxes will increase slightly to $763 per $100,000 in value. For the average $300,000 home, expect to pay $2,289 for the school board portion of your tax bill.

NOTE: There many senior citizens who vote against school tax increases which impact the quality of education in this state.

Question: do you pay County AND Town property taxes?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
Everyone pays county and town taxes. If you live in the City, I believe you pay county and city taxes. (City taxes are HIGH, in comparison to most towns.) If you're outside the city, you pay county and town. If you live in a village, you pay county, town AND village taxes. But you also have access to village services. For us, that includes garbage/recycling pickup, water supply/waste output, snow removal/salt on sidewalks and roads *in addition* to what the Town of Manlius does, organic debris pickup, free or low-cost access to the village community center. And our village taxes also pay for the Manlius Village Library.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
For comparative purposes, here are some numbers for Orange County, Florida. It is comparing apples to oranges (lol) and I am not rubbing salt in any wound, but your schools are better than ours by far!

County Property Taxes:

last year, taxes were approximately $488 for every $100,000 of taxable value in Orange County ? plus about $51 in taxes for voter-approved debt. The rate will go up to about $515 per $100,000 this year.

School Taxes:

Last year, taxes were about $743 per $100,000 in value, taxes will increase slightly to $763 per $100,000 in value. For the average $300,000 home, expect to pay $2,289 for the school board portion of your tax bill.

NOTE: There many senior citizens who vote against school tax increases which impact the quality of education in this state.

Question: do you pay County AND Town property taxes?
Do you pay a vehicle tax/fee in Florida? Are there other taxes/fees that are in Florida that we don't have or are lower in NY? I know some Southern and Midwestern state have things like vehicle taxes or toll taxes that we don't have in NY or at least to the same degree. Can't forget about HOA's too.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM

405 posts, read 1,265,736 times
Taxes are very high, no doubt. Too high. We pay over $8k in school taxes, and we don't have kids! I don't begrudge them, though. Great schools cost money, and good county services are not cheap either. Coming from Long Island, we are paying about the same in taxes for a house that cost 2/3rd s as much. It should be pointed out that our house here is much bigger, on property 10 times larger. We also enjoy much better services such as parks and road maintenance.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Another thing is can you even get a decent house for 100k in Florida or Long Island? It's not out of the question at all here and that's in good school districts too.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:18 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,380,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you pay a vehicle tax/fee in Florida? Are there other taxes/fees that are in Florida that we don't have or are lower in NY? I know some Southern and Midwestern state have things like vehicle taxes or toll taxes that we don't have in NY or at least to the same degree. Can't forget about HOA's too.
There are a number of taxes and fees that we pay in Florida to compensate for a lack of income tax (which is nice, but it has a price in poor services). You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned HOA's. What ever I am saving in taxes, I am making up in HOA maintenance fees.

To compound the issue, those of us living within our means, paying our taxes and mortage are now expected to pay the maintenance fees of those who have gone into forclosure. Since there are a limited number of judges to handle the landslide of forclosures, those individuals can live in their homes.

lTo make matters worse, there are many who are paying their mortgages, but not paying their maintenance fees. The worst that can happen to those individuals is a lien on their property. The HOA then expects the rest of us to pay their mainenance fees as well.

As a result, those on limited incomes, who moved to Florida to retire, may not be able to affordt the added expense. At least in NYS, you know were you stand. Here it is totally legal!!!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,589,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
There are a number of taxes and fees that we pay in Florida to compensate for a lack of income tax (which is nice, but it has a price in poor services). You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned HOA's. What ever I am saving in taxes, I am making up in HOA maintenance fees.

To compound the issue, those of us living within our means, paying our taxes and mortage are now expected to pay the maintenance fees of those who have gone into forclosure. Since there are a limited number of judges to handle the landslide of forclosures, those individuals can live in their homes.

lTo make matters worse, there are many who are paying their mortgages, but not paying their maintenance fees. The worst that can happen to those individuals is a lien on their property. The HOA then expects the rest of us to pay their mainenance fees as well.

As a result, those on limited incomes, who moved to Florida to retire, may not be able to affordt the added expense. At least in NYS, you know were you stand. Here it is totally legal!!!
It's stuff like this that makes me awfully glad to be out of Florida...lol. I never lived in an HOA community, but I sure had my fill of "condo commando" stories in the paper, and how vets couldn't fly the American flag in front of their own home, etc, etc.

Urbanplanner - since I see you hanging out on the Syracuse forum a lot, I'm wondering if you're planning to move back there someday, or if you like Florida enough to stay there indefinitely. Do you wish you'd never left Syracuse in the first place, or are you happy to have been able to move to a warmer climate, etc?

Although I had fun in Florida in my younger years, I certainly don't miss being there now. It was nice while the economy was booming, but when I saw the end of the housing bubble coming, I was desperate to unload the house and get on out, although it meant getting into what is turning out to be a 6-year detour on my way to CNY...hehe. At least the CNY winters won't be quite so shocking moving up from Atlanta as it otherwise might have been - to be honest, I was being a bit of a chicken back in '04 when it came to thinking about the long, cold winters I'd be facing coming directly from Florida, although I'm sure I'd done just fine once I started having fun in the snow.

Keeping true with this thread subject, the high property taxes commonly found in New York do have some advantages, like decent services and proper street maintenance. Sure, taxes may be lower around here, but I can't help having the feeling that things are just falling apart, and that much higher taxes will be required later just to "catch up" with what should have been done all along. So there is a price to be paid for lower taxes, believe me.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
When you compare taxes and homeowner's insurance together, Florida still often comes out higher in non-loan expenses for the escrow/mortgage payment (M/T/I.) And one would obviously be paying both of those. My friend pays $5K in homeowner's insurance (hello hurricanes and bug infestations!) and $2200 in taxes. I pay just barely over half of that, total. And then there's her $200/month HOA fee. And bug sprays during the year. And servicing the AC that's on almost year-round. I don't have HOA fees and this area generally DOESN'T have them for single family homes either. I don't spray for bugs. The heat is on for 4-5 months a year and, with the way I have this place insulated and "buttoned-up", it doesn't cost me much more than $150/mo. on average for heat/hot water/cooking gas/electricity. I can open the windows to nice breezes for 7-8 months a year and snowboard/sled/ice skate/play outside comfortably the rest of the time.

I'm not a big fan of very warm/hot weather but still, I've never gotten the allure of Florida. My family went to Disney and Cocoa and Ormond Beaches a LOT when I was little... I never liked it. When I was 8, I asked if we could NOT go to Florida for vacation for a long time and none of us have been back at all! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or