U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,214,783 times
Reputation: 1858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I am soooo sick of summer and there's still three months to go - I just don't see the appeal of endless sunshine and 90+ degree heat every single day. You can't hardly buy a cloud around here, let alone an overcast day, or the holy grail, an actual rainy day - that's just a wintertime treat down here, unfortunately. It's painful seeing the lush green of spring wither into dusty brown - if you do any sort of meaningful gardening, you'll be paying through the nose for the water bill - not to mention the cost of running the AC 24/7. So yes, I think the cloudier, rainier, and *much cooler / colder* climate of Syracuse will suit me just fine and then some. You have no idea how much I crave a summer in which I can get out and do the things I enjoy - 14 hours 20 minutes of sun here daily and here I am sitting trapped inside the house, as it's too damn hot to do anything - even a 15-minute stroll will result in sweat-soaked clothes and an aggravating 30-minute cool-down period as I just sweat and sweat.
Complaining about the weather in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm not moving just for the climate, however, although it's a huge consideration. I'm moving for better work opportunities - hardly a day goes by that I don't see a carpentry-related job opening on Indeed dot com - down here, forget it, with the 20% unemployment rate in the construction industry we have around here.
Complaining about economy in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
what few lakes we have down here are man-made (very "spidery") and almost completely surrounded by overpriced McMansions, severely limiting recreational opportunities on the water.
Complaining about the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I don't even think they're doing the once-popular "screenings on the green" anymore, outdoor movie showings in the park on weekend summer evenings, due to a massive gang battle that took place last summer at one of them. Sounds like fun, huh?
Complaining about the crime and gangs in Atlanta.


Oddly, it sounds like the same complaining we do here. But of course, it is different because we don't praise Syracuse. I don't see you telling the original poster that he/she is negative and won't be happy anywhere or that the grass is always greener, bla, bla, bla. It is only negative if the poster's opinions don't match your own. Sounds like bigotry to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
 
270 posts, read 636,365 times
Reputation: 157
Hey OP...you sound like a miserable prat and I daresay you'll be as miserable here as you are in GA.

Better, Toe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,973,691 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Oddly, it sounds like the same complaining we do here. But of course, it is different because we don't praise Syracuse. I don't see you telling the original poster that he/she is negative and won't be happy anywhere or that the grass is always greener, bla, bla, bla. It is only negative if the poster's opinions don't match your own. Sounds like bigotry to me.
Hmmn.

Sounds like respect, to me. Notice that they're here, NOT in those forums, telling everyone what a $hithole they live in?

I detest the fact that there are enormous homes with 1000-2000+ sq/ft. of space for each person, seeing chemical trucks coming to spray the neighbors' grass because dandelions and clover dare to grow, and watching someone DRIVE a block down the street. It's wasteful, at the least, and enormously harmful (in the grand scheme of things) at the most.

Still, I'm not standing on their lawns, yelling at them for it. That would be enormously DISrespectful.

That's what you're doing... but worse, because people liking the Central New York region - loving it, even - does no harm at all. It's as if one of those oversized house/chemical and gas-loving people came and decided to yell at me for NOT doing those things.

You're on my lawn, yelling at me for being happy with being happy here. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,669 posts, read 2,386,445 times
Reputation: 1684
NYS Assembly approves creating authority to run Syracuse's airport | syracuse.com

The state Assembly on Monday passed the (Airport Authority) legislation which would take the airport out of the city’s control and put it under a state-created authority. The Senate passed the same legislation last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,973,691 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
NYS Assembly approves creating authority to run Syracuse's airport | syracuse.com

The state Assembly on Monday passed the (Airport Authority) legislation which would take the airport out of the city’s control and put it under a state-created authority. The Senate passed the same legislation last week.
Thank goodness! Now- maybe we'll actually gain some sort of edge through people who know what they're doing, rather than the current "We have planes! You can land/take off here... wheeee!" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,669 posts, read 2,386,445 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Complaining about the weather in Atlanta.

Complaining about economy in Atlanta.

Complaining about the area.

Complaining about the crime and gangs in Atlanta.


Oddly, it sounds like the same complaining we do here. But of course, it is different because we don't praise Syracuse. I don't see you telling the original poster that he/she is negative and won't be happy anywhere or that the grass is always greener, bla, bla, bla. It is only negative if the poster's opinions don't match your own. Sounds like bigotry to me.
Its called the "Syracuse Forum" toejam, NorthStarDelight speaks highly of Syracuse/CNY and desires to relocate to CNY. You should be proud of that fact. NSD is giving reasons for moving to CNY. If you are defending Atlanta, then go to the ATLANTA FORUM! As I said before, NSD views does not conform to your disdain for CNY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,214,783 times
Reputation: 1858
This is the Syracuse relocation forum, not the I HEART SYRACUSE forum. Maybe you should go find one of those forums where you can all sit around and kiss each others...well, you know.

I live in Syracuse and I will state my opinion as I please. Sorry you don't agree with it or you have a different perspective, but that doesn't make my opinion less valid than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,973,691 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
This is the Syracuse relocation forum, not the I HEART SYRACUSE forum. Maybe you should go find one of those forums where you can all sit around and kiss each others...well, you know.

I live in Syracuse and I will state my opinion as I please. Sorry you don't agree with it or you have a different perspective, but that doesn't make my opinion less valid than yours.
Actually, it's both. It's just the Syracuse forum. Lovers and haters and everyone in between can discuss whatever Syracuse-related topics they wish... and if you say something that isn't true and/or is especially inflammatory, you're going to be called on it. Yes, even called on your mindset when it's as habitually negative as yours... you shared it. It's a forum... the nature of the beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,669 posts, read 2,386,445 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Thank goodness! Now- maybe we'll actually gain some sort of edge through people who know what they're doing, rather than the current "We have planes! You can land/take off here... wheeee!" lol
lol...I agree, but my only concern is the make-up of the Airport Authority. Seven (7) of the 11 members are appointed by the City of Syracuse. The remaining three include 1 (county), 1 (East-Syracuse Minoa) and not sure about the last one. I am not opposed to the 11 member board, but I think that City represenation should be be reduced to 5 or maybe 4 members, increase County representation and include a regional representative(s), i.e. north country/southern tier to emphasize the regaional nature of the AA. In any event, I am delighted that AA has become a reality. Its only a matter of implimentation, we can see how the current make-up goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,214,783 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Lovers and haters and everyone in between can discuss whatever Syracuse-related topics they wish... and if you say something that isn't true and/or is especially inflammatory, you're going to be called on it. Yes, even called on your mindset when it's as habitually negative as yours... you shared it.
Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top