U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,894 posts, read 37,849,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
You are right about that. I have lived here for 4 years and it seems when I tell someone where I went they ask, "Where is that?"

My distaste for the area has nothing to do with lack of trying. This weekend alone I was at the Funky Flea, Taste of Syracuse, walked through Skaneateles, and drove to Homer to go to Bobs BBQ. I get out plenty and continue to look for new things to do, so your theory is a load of crap. Yes, there are things to do, but if you have lived anywhere else, you know that the options are limited around here and there isn't a whole lot that you can't find anywhere else.
I went to college in Michigan and was in GA for a time while in the military. On top of that, my parents are from the South and I would go down many a summer. So, I've been outside of the area.

To compare Syracuse to LA is silly and you would think people would purt such a comparison into proper perspective.

As for Sean, have you considered taking your kids to sporting events, considering that you have at least one child that participates in sports? What about a trip to Fort Ontario, the Harriet Tubman home, the Seward home, Peterboro, the Onondaga Historical Association, and other area historical sites in the area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM

655 posts, read 1,269,844 times
Default Exaggerations, Distortions, and Misleading Statements And Lack of Knowledge

Exaggerations, distortions, and misleading statements always have to be debunked/exposed as intentionally incorrect or lack of knowledge OPINIONS.

People living at a distance from Metro Syracuse/Central New York deserve honest, objective, knowledgeable information about our Region as opposed to the rantings/ravings of negative people who have PERSONAL PROBLEMS with living here even though they continue to reside here. GO>> PACKUP>> MOVE IF YOU WANT TO>> YOU HATE METRO SYRACUSE/CNY; > WE < ARE NOT KEEPING YOU HERE>> IF YOU WANT TO STAY HERE AND CONTINUE TO COMPLAIN; THAT"S OKAY TOO>> All of the rest of us will continue to correct any and all inaccurate information that anyone posts!!

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-06-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,894 posts, read 37,849,021 times
BTW- If someone from LA moves to this area, why would you move to Marcellus? That's not anything against Marcellus, but I hope they know that it would be a little bit different.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,122,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
BTW- If someone from LA moves to this area, why would you move to Marcellus? That's not anything against Marcellus, but I hope they know that it would be a little bit different.
I am not comparing Syracuse to LA. I have lived in other states and they all have what Syracuse has to offer and then some.

grdnrman, you seem angry.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM

655 posts, read 1,269,844 times
Default Transparent Goading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post

grdnrman, you seem angry.
I realize what you are doing as I'm sure everyone else on C-D can interpret your motives 100%. You are VERY transparent. Goad any of us into arguing with you. I have no interest in that juvenile foolishness.

No anger here. Just setting you STRAIGHT that the rest of us will continue to correct any exaggerated, distorted, misleading PERSONAL OPINIONS that you have and you try to "pass-off" as true FACTS to People who live in other areas of the country. Overblown falsehoods - YOUR >> PERSONAL IMPRESSIONS << - are NOT knowledgeable information; they are only YOUR >> "PERSONAL MENTAL FEELINGS" << about our Area.

It's unfortunate if YOU did not do adequate research for yourself before you moved here so you would KNOW whether or not you would like living in the Central New York Region. But that's YOUR fault/responsibility for doing inadequate research/study/investigation before you moved here. Now you prefer to negatively rant and blame us POSITIVE Syracuse C-D Members for YOUR failings and you repeatedly bad-mouth the High Quality Of Life - Low Cost Of Living Metro Syracuse/Central NY Region when you could look in the mirror and see who brought you here and see who is actually at fault for your current life/living situation.

I have no interest in your silly goading attempts. You can go back to negatively bad-mouthing Metro Syracuse. And I will go back to providing C-D Readers with objective, in-depth, knowledgeable, factual, honest information about Syracuse/CNY.

Have a pleasant, enjoyable, quality, sunny day here in beautiful Central New York; I'm positive that I WILL.

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-06-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM

I did my research before moving. I figured how bad could the weather really be? I was assured it isn't that bad. It may not be that bad to people that have lived here and don't know any different, but, it is miserable.Months without seeing the sun and snow that never seems to end. In the summer you get humidity and rain. Today is a perfect day, but they are few and far between. There are people that is important to, you just are not one of them. It is something to consider when moving here.

My motives are to give people a balanced opinion of the area. If it were not for me and a few others, that wouldn't happen. I work with plenty of other people who are only in this area for contract work and even those who are from the north east talk about how bad this area is and how they can't wait to leave. These are skiers and snowboarders who thought this area would be perfect for them. They all say the ski places around here are a joke and travel to go to to a real hill to ski.

While there are a few sunny days and a few interesting things to do around here, I would prefer these things to be part of my daily life and not something that happens a handful of times a year.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM

269 posts, read 389,538 times
Actually, it was beautiful and sunny all last week and so far this week. We had a brief rain on Saturday. And I don't believe it's supposed to rain much, if at all, the rest of this week.

The weather here seems pretty identical to the weather we had in RI.

I don't see what's so bad about it. Seems like a pretty good balance to me. Otherwise, too much sun and heat would dry everything out and hinder growth.

I've mentioned this before...there's a huge difference between stating objective facts and subjective opinions. I actively participate in the RI forum. We left RI because it wasn't right for us there. But you certainly won't see my RI posts talking about how horrible it is there and how much of a scumhole it is.

Seems to me as though certain of you are just negative, pessimistic people. I hardly believe you'll be happy anywhere. Make the best of what you've got, learn to be content with what you've been given.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Your "facts" are based on your opinions, much like mine are. I too was happy living here for the first year. Everything was new, different, and exciting. Once that wears off, you see what you are really dealing with. We have completely different lifestyles and while this may be a good fit for you and your family, it isn't for everyone.

Do you people not see the same negativity towards certain posters here as the same negativity many of us feel for this area? Hypocrisy is a word that comes to mind.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Will this make my opinion more valid or will you just tell me how the forecast is wrong?
So in the next 10 days, you might have 3 clear days with sun. If you will notice, the weekends are usually rain. That makes a big impression on us working folks.

Tonight
Jun 6

Mostly Clear

Tue
Jun 7

PM T-Storms

Wed
Jun 8

Isolated T-Storms

Thu
Jun 9

Scattered T-Storms

Fri
Jun 10

Partly Cloudy

Sat
Jun 11

Few Showers

Sun
Jun 12

Showers

Mon
Jun 13

Showers

Tue
Jun 14

Few Showers

Wed
Jun 15

Partly Cloudy

Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 PM

269 posts, read 389,538 times
So again, toe, as you just said...your lifestyle isn't a good fit for this state. That does not make the state, region, or city you live in a scumhole. It makes it a poor fit...for you. And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I've said before...what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another.

But...you are making ot sound as though it is your duty to warn prospective transplants of how horrible it is here. Well it's obviously horrible for you and for Sean but it's obviously not horrible for others. I daresay ALL of Syracuse is riddled with crack addicts and abandoned houses.

Geez...if my husband and I had based our opinion on this region by what we saw in Elmira, we'd never have moved here. But the region is bigger than Elmira. And your region is bigger than Syracuse city limits.

Now...as to the weather...I see four days of rain. I see three days that were just like last week...beautiful all day long and a popup thunderstorm in the evening.

It's Spring...seems pretty typical to me.

Somehow though, I get the impression you'd be one of those folks that would complain if it was sunny everyday and your lawn died because of lack of rain. Just an observation.

It's gotta be tough...being so miserable in life. Never seeing the good and only focusing on the bad. I feel for ya.

Me? I learned to make the best of what I had when my husband and I thought we'd forever be stuck in our 700 sq ft apartment in RI with our four kids and dog. We learned a valuable lesson on contentment there. And ironically, only after learning that lesson and truly feeling content with what we had, only then did the good Lord see fit to open the doors for us to have more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area