Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Will this make my opinion more valid or will you just tell me how the forecast is wrong?
Aside from knowing that, more often than not, any weather forecast more than 3 days out in CNY is functionally worthless, I can tell you that the current National Weather Service forecast for the same period says this about the weekend:

Quote:

Friday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

Sunday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
7-Day Forecast for Latitude 43.04°N and Longitude 76.16°W (as of 5:30ish today)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
And ironically, only after learning that lesson and truly feeling content with what we had, only then did the good Lord see fit to open the doors for us to have more.
I can't discuss logic with you anymore after this statement.

Despite your impression of what my life (which you know nothing about) is like, I can assure you I am very happy. I will always strive to better myself and my life without waiting for it to fall in my lap.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM

270 posts, read 732,691 times
Wait, we were being logical? Because I have yet to see an argument from you or from Sean that was steeped in logic. Instead, I've seen complaining and whining about a situation you both are perfectly at liberty to change. I've seen data and opinions thrown around that make absolutely no sense, such as it is unaffordable to live in NY.

My impression of your life is based solely on what you have stated here. You hate where you live. You view your community as a scumhole (wait, that was Sean that said that). You're not happy here.

You state that you always strive to better yourself and your life without waiting for it to fall in your lap, yet you still live in a community you dislike and you seemingly aren't doing anything to make your community better. Instead you're on a forum complaining about how bad it is.

And making no effort to change it.

Seems like a logical discussion to me...or not.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'm still trying to figure out this "balance" aspect, as people have been quite honest about the area, good and bad.

Also, while the weather has been fickle and yucky at times the last couple of seasons( it has been in other areas of the country as well), you sure can't say that we get natural disasters or at least to the degree that other areas get, thank God. We are prepared for removing large amounts of snow and I'll take it considering what other parts of the country has faced in recent months. At least you can play in it, if you want to and it helps with the water supply.

Also, even the cities of Elmira and Syracuse have some very nice areas too. Check out Elmira's Historic Westside and some of the neighborhoods on the South and North Sides there as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
I love how this thread has turned into people trying to convince the OP not to move here and how terrible it is, etc. The OP CLEARLY stated in their first post that they ARE moving here. Obviously they want to be here for a reason, so what is the point of trying to convince them otherwise?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Another maybe good choice might be either Billings or Missoula Montana. They are having 16 and 17 percent growth each.

Billing is about the size of Syracuse and Missoula to Utica. But they are the hubs of larger regions, Billings for 5 states!!

Missoula is by far prettier, a fineline in this area. But Billings growth is based on an oil boom and "they" say the sky is the limit. And its a big sky there. Missoula is based on education and healthcare and government. Those are very bad scarey growth numbers so I SWAG long term failure here.

Temps can get cold. Snow is not bad. An average YEAR in Missoula is one good day in Syracuse. Billings would be two days.

Both cities are right on I-90. With all the growth cannot believe even a passing good carpenter would have any trouble finding work.

And they would be living in such beauty!!!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Another maybe good choice might be either Billings or Missoula Montana. They are having 16 and 17 percent growth each.

Billing is about the size of Syracuse and Missoula to Utica. But they are the hubs of larger regions, Billings for 5 states!!

Missoula is by far prettier, a fineline in this area. But Billings growth is based on an oil boom and "they" say the sky is the limit. And its a big sky there. Missoula is based on education and healthcare and government. Those are very bad scarey growth numbers so I SWAG long term failure here.

Temps can get cold. Snow is not bad. An average YEAR in Missoula is one good day in Syracuse. Billings would be two days.

Both cities are right on I-90. With all the growth cannot believe even a passing good carpenter would have any trouble finding work.

And they would be living in such beauty!!!!!
Billings just got over the 100,000 people hump this census and once you leave it, there isn't much unless you like the outdoors. It is pretty and growing though(unemployment rate at 5.2%). Syracuse has 145,000 in the city and close to 750,000 in the metro area. Billings only has 158,000 in the metro area. So, the city of Syracuse has almost as many people as the Billings metro area. In fact, the county that Billings is in, Yellowstone, has only 2000 more people than the city of Syracuse.

Missoula is a college town(University of Montana is there), but I have heard people on that forum complain about the job market there eventhough the unemployment rate there is 7.4%. It has more of a "free/liberal" vibe and cultural offerings due to the college. Missoula County has 110,000 people. Utica and the towns of New Hartford and Whitestown have roughly the same amount of people as Missoula County.

Central NY has more people than Montana does as a state.

Again, I think what people forget about the Syracuse area is that you have many options outside of the metro as well, as you are close to world class cities in the Northeastern US and Canada. So, it's location is great if you want a variety of things to do close by for those that like big cities and the outdoors. Can't forget proximity to a bunch of history as well. Here's a good website showing things about the CNY region: New York's Creative Core - Home

Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Missoula is a college town(University of Montana is there), but I have heard people on that forum complain about the job market there eventhough the unemployment rate there is 7.4%.
Wait, you listen to the negative "complainers" on the other boards? Aren't they just spewing lies too?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Billings is actually "the City" for a huge area. The innerweb states Missoula metro at 300K.

I have seen a ton of hippies here. Like 100 in 12 hours. Painted micro buses and all. MSU is over my shoulder. The river is VERY high.

They say the weather here is pretty nice but its gloomy today. OTOH lots of people like gloomy. Not me, I'll take the dry heat of Billings. I wandered the downtown of Billings yesterday. Its weird to see people and stores and commerce in a downtown. No sales tax so thats an extra 10% of take home pay. Everything is cheaper including I am sad to say cigarettes. I quit two years ago but could not say no any longer.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Billings is actually "the City" for a huge area. The innerweb states Missoula metro at 300K.

I have seen a ton of hippies here. Like 100 in 12 hours. Painted micro buses and all. MSU is over my shoulder. The river is VERY high.

They say the weather here is pretty nice but its gloomy today. OTOH lots of people like gloomy. Not me, I'll take the dry heat of Billings. I wandered the downtown of Billings yesterday. Its weird to see people and stores and commerce in a downtown. No sales tax so thats an extra 10% of take home pay. Everything is cheaper including I am sad to say cigarettes. I quit two years ago but could not say no any longer.
Cities out West, in the South and even some in the Midwest aren't as dense as cities in the Northeast. So, they will be bigger in land size, but population density will be less due to the bigger city limits.

Missoula's metro population is not that big. That must be a regional population. Missoula Metropolitan Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Montana census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep in mind that no sales tax means that they have to get revenue in other forms. Perhaps property taxes, other fees and taxes and so on. For instance, many states have taxes on vehicles. Here's some more information: Taxes by State

Retirement Living - Taxes by State: Kansas - New Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area