Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 10:00 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times

Advertisements

I travel all over the United States for work and for personal travel. Everywhere I go... when I tell people I'm from Syracuse they know of the city because of the university. Only a handful of those folks ever mention sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
See you stated that as your personal experience.

I can tell you that having a set of NY plates on the left coast is a wildly different experience then anything I have ever had when I flew in somewhere. Most times it never comes up when flying. Happens everywhere I stop this time and the times I used to ride my bike out.

Personal experience's. Sports I care nothing about so if like Toe said people know about sports I don't and never speak of them.

Question- "is that were the SU basketball team is from??"

Me-"I don't have the slightest idea, it could be."

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
That last part doesn't make sense.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
The overwhelming majority of my experience talking to people more than a state or two away from NY in those places more often than not don't recognize much of anything beyond NYC - and then, more or less, identifying Manhattan as NYC. Upstate, pretty much the only thing anyone knows offhand are cities with major sports teams at the college or pro levels, and half the time they still guess that it's a 20 minute subway ride from those places to Manhattan

Old 06-08-2011, 11:00 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That last part doesn't make sense.

A lot of these posts don't make sense...lol.

Yes, I know there's no such thing as a "perfect place" - if there was such a place, everyone would move there and then it'd not be perfect anymore - it's be wall-to-wall people...LOL. So, it's my interest to find a place that a lot of people (or most, rather) would *not* care to move to, as that's the kind of place I'm looking for - a modest-sized city surrounded by rural, non-developed countryside that hasn't been experiencing decades of rampant growth. If I wanted to live in a place like that, then I'd just stay here and just deal with the heat in the summertime. As for the climate, it's good for *me*, as I *like* cloudy summer days and I *adore* snow, the more the better. And constantly overcast days in the winter is just fine when everything's snow-covered - try spending a week down here in the depths of our winter, cloudy, wet and cold, grey and brown everywhere, now, that's depressing. And this is the sunny South...lol. A wet, drizzly cold sucks way worse then a dry, snowy cold - snow you can play in, drizzle just sucks...lol.

So yeah, Syracuse and CNY fits *me* the best - I couldn't care less about what others think - if they hate it, fine by me - I just think if you really despise a place so much, then *do something about it*, rather than dissing your area on the forums, as what good does that do? Just go to whereever makes you happy and then complain to the good folks there about how much your former locale sucked...lol. But dissing on people who *like* where they live serves no purpose - that's just taking your frustration out on others, it's rude and impolite, if you ask me.

Much thanks to the good folks on this forum for providing such great, helpful info, it's very much appreciated.

Oh yeah, I love Syracuse basketball, always have. Go Orange!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM

270 posts, read 732,691 times
What a silly set of comments concerning whether folks outside of NY have heard of Syracuse or not. Really?

So what's the point? People in California have never heard of Syracuse. And?

For what it's worth, when we tell people we are from RI, invariably, they hear Long Island. Even my husband's new boss....told all of his new coworkers the new guy was coming from Long Island.

But who cares? Quite a few folks outside of New England don't even know where RI is.

I guess you could chalk it up to the stellar public school systems...or, you could acknowledge that for most people, "out of sight" means "out of mind."

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
The overwhelming majority of my experience talking to people more than a state or two away from NY in those places more often than not don't recognize much of anything beyond NYC - and then, more or less, identifying Manhattan as NYC. Upstate, pretty much the only thing anyone knows offhand are cities with major sports teams at the college or pro levels, and half the time they still guess that it's a 20 minute subway ride from those places to Manhattan
I agree ack, I have had people (from outside NYS) ask if I take the subway into NYC when I visit Syracuse, or how long is the subway ride into Manhattan. It is not a slight against Syracuse, many think that Rochester is a suburb of NYC (they may be thinking of Westchester). It doesn't matter what City you live in upstate, some I have met think that Buffalo is only an hour or two from NYC and don't understand why they have a football team.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM

127 posts, read 271,891 times
Hey! I saw my name mentioned. I haven't been on here at all lately, since, well, I now live in Manhattan where I actually see people everyday, attractive ones at that. It's so nice being around other young business professionals at all times. At peak hours, there's about 20 people walking around downtown Syracuse. I now see more than that walking home from the bars at 5 am. And the best part is a dd is no longer needed.

I do not miss Syracuse one bit and hope to never have to return.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
Hey! I saw my name mentioned. I haven't been on here at all lately, since, well, I now live in Manhattan where I actually see people everyday, attractive ones at that. It's so nice being around other young business professionals at all times. At peak hours, there's about 20 people walking around downtown Syracuse. I now see more than that walking home from the bars at 5 am. And the best part is a dd is no longer needed.

I do not miss Syracuse one bit and hope to never have to return.
Considering I get up close to 5 am rather than going to bed at that time, I'll pass up on your life in Manhattan thank you very much. I don't need to hang out with "young business professionals" either, not my kind of folk...hehe. Besides, I dunno how anyone can afford to live there unless they have a very high-paying job or just happen to be independently wealthy, or totally poor and living on the dole - is there even a middle class in NYC? I think not.

Anyhow, I do appreciate you moving away from Syracuse, just that much more room for me for when I move up there.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
When I head South some people have heard of Syracuse, some are even from there.

But headed West most everywhere I stop people see the NY plates and strike out a convo.

In the past 3 days not one person has even heard of Syracuse. All know the city and many know Upstate but nobody has heard of Syracuse.

Must just be bad PR. Its in my mind to say Syracuse because its bigger then Oneida but actually due to the silverware more people have heard of Oneida then Syracuse by far.
Hmmmm- when I was 14, I went to Spain and France for the summer. We went to Port Aventura, somewhere in Catalonia, and a couple we spoke to knew of Syracuse from business they'd done there. When we were in Paris, at some community dinner/dance, an old man knew where it was... he was a restaurant owner and visited the Syracuse China plant. He used only their pieces because they're so hard to break.

I have little experience with The West but... Syracuse is hardly unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area