Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times

Advertisements

Syracuse area residents can finally watch local news in high definition widescreen!

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=553817
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 01:32 AM

Hopefully, Channel 9 and YNN aren't far behind.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-15-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
Just to clarify - enhanced widescreen isn't really High Definition - it's just widescreen. HD requires new equipment that they haven't purchased yet :-)

Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Aside from the widescreen, I am quite impressed with Channel 3's new set. While the graphics are a slight improvement, the set is comprable to those in many mid-sized markets. Finally, Syracuse has caught up with other cities. Just replace most of the on-air staff and we're good to go. I would keep Laura Hand, Lisa Spitz, Wayne Mahar, Megan Coleman, and Jim Kenyon, though.

I have a feeling Channel 9's new set will be underwhelming. WSYR-TV's sister station in Rochester replaced their set in the fall as part of the transition to HD. The new set looks very bland, although the graphics package and new logo are excellent. Considering both stations are in roughly the same size television market, I doubt there will be a major difference between the two HD sets. I actually like WSYR-TV's current set as it is dynamic and includes a nice backdrop of the Syracuse skyline. As local stations try to convey a more regionalized approach, particuarly in their quest for viewers in more exurban/ rural areas, a skyline shot of big bad Syracuse seems to go against their marketing strategy. Channel 3 doesn't even use "Syracuse" in the station ID. CNY Central is perhaps the most redundant phrase I've heard. I liked Action News much better.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 12-16-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Just to clarify - enhanced widescreen isn't really High Definition - it's just widescreen. HD requires new equipment that they haven't purchased yet :-)
Thanks! Didn't look into it.

Channel 3 & 5 still look pretty good for non High Definition. Much better than most SU games at the Dome!

RollsRoyce, I miss Andrea Bullard. One of the only reasons I watched Ch. 3.

YNN (News 10 Now) used to be my favorite local news channel.... before the studio moved to Albany! LOL Since then I've probably watched it a total of 4 or 5 hours and most of that was this past summer when there was coverage of the NY State Fair in Syracuse Live. I just can't bring myself to watch local news reporting from Albany. YNN Central New York is more like Upstate New York news done from Albany.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:17 PM

If News Ch 9 desires to know why “I” can not make it through a whole news broadcast without turning the channel…the answer is the commercials. The local commercials done with any type of “blue collar” voice. This is probably just me though. As I’m much more aware of what disturbs my peace than the average person.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-07-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 03:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks! Didn't look into it.

Channel 3 & 5 still look pretty good for non High Definition. Much better than most SU games at the Dome!

RollsRoyce, I miss Andrea Bullard. One of the only reasons I watched Ch. 3.

YNN (News 10 Now) used to be my favorite local news channel.... before the studio moved to Albany! LOL Since then I've probably watched it a total of 4 or 5 hours and most of that was this past summer when there was coverage of the NY State Fair in Syracuse Live. I just can't bring myself to watch local news reporting from Albany. YNN Central New York is more like Upstate New York news done from Albany.

I definitely agree. Andrea Bullard was by far the hottest Syracuse TV anchor. She also seemed to like the area and didn't look down at the community like the current weekend anchor on WSTM with the tipsy head and droopy eyes.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I would keep... Wayne Mahar, Megan Coleman, and Jim Kenyon, though.
For Channel 3, Jim Kenyon's investigative segments are just about the only break from non-stop sports, weather, health, charity/donation stories, national canned stories and crime reports. At least Channel 9 has "What's in Store" (which I try not to miss if I'm watching the news that day) and "Your Stories" to break up the monotony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area