U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 47,812 times

Advertisements

Will be working in the Oswego area and need a place to stay between Oswego and Syracuse.

What would be my options in regards to the better options to make a daily commute to Oswego?

Sure would like a small house instead of an apartment and sure would like to bring my dog with me instead of waiting several months for the house to sell. Yep...wife stays in previous location till house sells

Any help would be appreciated in regards to where to look and what to expect.

Is $1000 a month for rent low or high for the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 PM

715 posts, read 2,139,382 times
I think your best bet would be to stay as close to Oswego as possible. Winter time travel between Onondaga and Oswego Counties can sometimes be next to impossible due to lake effect snow. Make your commute as easy as possible by staying near Oswego. In terms of Oswego County look in to: Oswego, Minetto, Fruit Valley, Hannibal ... $1000 is certainly a high rent for this area.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,965,911 times
I'm going to second the idea of staying as close to Oswego as possible... they get a LOT more snow than Syracuse and don't have a large budget for snow removal/maintenance. The road that extends from Rte. 481 (south of Oswego) is much more frequently closed.

And yes, $1000/mo. rent is high but especially so for Oswego and the areas that directly surround it. You'd probably be able to rent an enormous Victorian right IN Oswego for that much.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Just a side note....the City of Oswego tends to get the LEAST snow out of ANY place in the County of Oswego due to its location to Lake Ontario [right on it] ... Fulton, 10 miles SE of Oswego sees significantly more snow than Oswego during most events. IE: A few weeks ago during a prolonged Lake Effect event, the City of Oswego saw 3-4 inches while Fulton received 30 inches. Continuing South and East, areas in Onondaga County saw in excess of 50 inches. While this always isn't the case, it is safe to say that if you want to see the least snow, at least accumulation wise [if living in Oswego County], stay in the city of Oswego.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,965,911 times
Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As Oswego is located on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario, in the center of the Snowbelt, the region often sees prodigious lake effect snow accumulations. Oswego is one of the snowiest towns in America, with some winters totaling over 300 inches. In 2007, Oswego gained national attention when approximately 130" (slightly less than 11 feet) of snow fell in a two-week timespan. This broke the record of the Blizzard of 1966, which blanketed the city with 102" of snow. As a result of this storm, the school district closed all facilities for a week, effectively shifting the planned winter holiday.

That's why staying somewhere outside of Oswego itself is a bad idea, if you're going to work there. In the winter, I often hear that the road between 481 and Oswego is closed... living between Syracuse and Oswego - even living between Clay, NY and Oswego - would mean not being able to get to work during heavy snowfall. Unless you're ALSO an avid snowmobiler, the number of times a non-native will have to miss work due to weather might easily be unacceptable to an employer.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:38 PM

16 posts, read 47,812 times
Thanks for the informaiton; I have been told that 481 with snow tires means no problem getting to work except for maybe a day a year. Have I been fed a line of BS?

I drive a jeep wrangler....should I still expect white knuckle drives?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Snow tires and the jeep will definitely help....thus far [this winter season] there has only been one morning where travel has been advised against on 481 in Oswego County. That was last Thursday when 12-14 inches fell in a span of 5 hours in both Oswego and Fulton as well as points South and East toward Onondaga County. If you have a good attitude and are a solid driver, you may be alright as long as you allow yourself extra time to get to Oswego. Out of curiosity, will you be working on SUNY Oswego's Campus?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:53 PM

655 posts, read 2,041,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by km5er View Post
Will be working in the Oswego area and need a place to stay between Oswego and Syracuse.

What would be my options in regards to the better options to make a daily commute to Oswego?

Sure would like a small house instead of an apartment and sure would like to bring my dog with me instead of waiting several months for the house to sell. Yep...wife stays in previous location till house sells

Any help would be appreciated in regards to where to look and what to expect.

Is $1000 a month for rent low or high for the area?
km5er,
Because it is wintertime with unpredictable heavy snowstorms/blizzards and because you will have a new job, my best advice is that you find a place to rent in the immediate Oswego City area rather than commute from farther away.

Rent of $1000 would be quite high for the Oswego City & County area. Check the rental ads in the Oswego City newspaper or realtor offices.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact any or all of us Metro Syracuse City-Data members. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area