Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

Low housing prices attracting me. I have a college degree. I am getting frustrated with the high housing costs in NJ. Do you think it is a good move? I am a year or two out of college, and would consider anything paying $35,000+ for a job (not picky on the field, within reason)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Low housing prices attracting me. I have a college degree. I am getting frustrated with the high housing costs in NJ. Do you think it is a good move? I am a year or two out of college, and would consider anything paying $35,000+ for a job (not picky on the field, within reason)
I'd say do it, as you are still pretty close to home and the area could use more young people, to be honest. You might like neighborhoods in Syracuse like Westcott, University, Downtown, Tipperary Hill, maybe the Little Italy area of the Northside, Eastwood and Court-Woodlawn. In the suburbs, you might like the Liverpool area, Fayetteville, Manlius and parts of the town of DeWitt, among others. Here's some information that could help you get started on your search:
Central New York Jobs

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Category:Neighborhoods in Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse NY Apartment Finder

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Visit Syracuse :: Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Onondaga County, New York

Onondaga County Parks :: Syracuse, NY
City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs
Search Results - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
There is a reason so many people graduate from SU and the many SUNY schools and leave town. There are whole programs dedicated to finding ways to retain recent grads. People here will tell you it is a great idea, but you have to wonder why students graduate and get out of Syracuse as fast as they can.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
There is a reason so many people graduate from SU and the many SUNY schools and leave town. There are whole programs dedicated to finding ways to retain recent grads. People here will tell you it is a great idea, but you have to wonder why students graduate and get out of Syracuse as fast as they can.
I think a part of that is due to the fact that many of those students hardly know what is in the area to be honest. I work at one of those institutions and can tell you that many of the students, if not most, hardly go to places outside of Carousel Center and Downtown, if they leave the Hill. You also have the perception that the media here displays in terms of a horrible economy, when in fact the unemployment rate is about 1.5-2% lower than the national average. Same can be said about crime in the city, as it is actually average when looking at other cities in comparison. In turn, the whole area/city gets stereotyped based on certain situations in regard to those issues, even if what occurs for one area/person isn't the same situation for another area of town/person. So, I think the media plays a big part in this, as well as a lack of knowledge about the area by the students.

I'd even go as far to say that many locals don't know the area as well as they think they do. I'm not going to lie, as there are parts of the city/county I never knew existed until a few years ago. A part of that I believe is due to people staying in their part of town. Meaning, if you grew up in say Fairmount, you do the bulk of your shopping in the Western suburbs and your knowledge of neighborhoods might only go as far as that area of town. Then, when you get old enough to actually explore the area, you might come across an area or place that you might not have known about if you didn't expand your territory, in a sense. So, that can play a part as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the unemployment rate, housing cost, and crime are all below average, much like everything else about the city. When people are young, they want new, exciting and fun. Syracuse does not offer that. You can tell them all the great things Syracuse has to offer, but other places offer that and more, so they leave because they want more. Well, that and they know for the same job in syracuse, they can make a lot more somewhere else. It cost more to live in other places, but it has more to offer for that cost.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
Syracuse is stable in just about every aspect... there are MANY outlets for one's interests. If you don't have an interest, I can see how Syracuse might seem boring.We tend to NOT cater to the whims of the naturally disinterested and detached. I'm okay with that.

That said, it COSTS to live in places where you feel as though you MUST be continuously entertained... *their* costs of living are the admission fees, so to speak. And the salaries elsewhere are not drastically higher, as you seemed to imply.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Syracuse is stable in just about every aspect... there are MANY outlets for one's interests. If you don't have an interest, I can see how Syracuse might seem boring.We tend to NOT cater to the whims of the naturally disinterested and detached. I'm okay with that.
It's ok, you can say that Syracuse caters to "simple folks" like yourself.

I can tell you from experience that the pay scale in Syracuse is lower than that of the pay scale in other places. Granted, none of them were a small as Syracuse, but we are not comparing apples to apples. I was just explaining why graduates choose to leave the area. Don't knock them because they want more. Who doesn't want more in life? It is the difference between thriving and surviving. They can survive here, but they can thrive elsewhere.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
It's ok, you can say that Syracuse caters to "simple folks" like yourself.

I can tell you from experience that the pay scale in Syracuse is lower than that of the pay scale in other places. Granted, none of them were a small as Syracuse, but we are not comparing apples to apples. I was just explaining why graduates choose to leave the area. Don't knock them because they want more. Who doesn't want more in life? It is the difference between thriving and surviving. They can survive here, but they can thrive elsewhere.
Since you're still living here you must fit the same category: simple and not thriving. The compensation for college grads in the Syracuse area is low unfortunately, however that doesn't in itself make it an awful place to live. While I am a young professional that no longer lives in CNY, I certainly have no bitterness toward the area and don't make it my life's mission to dissuade folks from moving there. If you're so miserable here, I suggest you move as there are a plethora of opportunities in major cities.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM

107 posts, read 219,452 times
I think it depends what your interests are...what you like to do for fun. I went to SU and stayed here after graduation and have absolutely no regrets. The nightlife in downtown is great for a city this size (they just opened a few new bars over the past couple weeks, with a few more on their way....there are about 20 bars in a 4 block radius in central syracuse). Plus you have all the SU sports that are ongoing from September through February. I lived in Eastwood for 2 years after graduation, then moved downtown and have been there ever since.

I think saying you'll make more money somewhere else is also depending on your field you go into. I'm an engineer and I wouldn't make dramatically more anywhere else. The thrive/survive thing is the opposite for me, if i lived in another city i would probably be surviving and renting an apartment, here i'm buying property and living like a king.

I'm an avid snowboarder, hockey player and golfer too. Syracuse is fantastic for all 3.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Since you're still living here you must fit the same category: simple and not thriving. The compensation for college grads in the Syracuse area is low unfortunately, however that doesn't in itself make it an awful place to live. While I am a young professional that no longer lives in CNY, I certainly have no bitterness toward the area and don't make it my life's mission to dissuade folks from moving there. If you're so miserable here, I suggest you move as there are a plethora of opportunities in major cities.
So why did you choose to leave the area after graduation?

I will admit that I am not thriving here. I am stuck here for a few more years on an assignment. I count down the days until I can transfer. It it weren't for the assignment, I would have left here after the first year.

I am not lying to people to convince thm not to live her, I am giving them an honest opinion that differs from most posters on this forum who think Syracuse is the best place on Earth and I am not alone in my opinion, but anyone who post otherwise here is labeled as a troll or someone who is a miserable person and I am neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area