U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM
 
257 posts, read 644,077 times
Reputation: 88

Advertisements

Thanks guys, yes defiantly looking for a walkable suburb. I guess I forget to say that because here that's pretty much every town. So in your opinion Camillus is more remote? Basically I'm looking for somewhere where kids hang out on their stoop and can find a bunch of other kids to play with, and then walk to to get pizza....something like that. Basically I don't want to need to get into my car for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM
 
257 posts, read 644,077 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I always prefer listings on www.prudentialproperties.com because they not only list the total annual taxes but break them down into who gets what. I think you have to sign up on their [thankfully, non-spammy] email list to see them though. 41 listings found with parameters of: $70K-$140K (I went up a little higher as you may very well find something to bargain with), 3+ BD, 1+ BA, 1500+ sq. feet and in the zip codes:

13116
13104
13066
13212
13041
13039

Liverpool (13088 and 13090) is a tall order as it's a very large area with probably an equal number of homes available, on their own. If you're looking for something similar to LI, both in style of homes and lifestyle, Liverpool-Clay-Cicero-North Syracuse are good choices.

Just for fun, put in your ideal home in your ideal price range and see what comes up... real estate is an entirely different animal up here, as opposed to LI.
Thanks again. Basically, I would like to find a town similar to mine now-obviously minus the beach, which I know can't be moved- but without the ridiculous price tag (girl can dream right?). If you want an idea check out Wantagh, NY in Wikipedia. I think it's a pretty accurate description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 03:05 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,959,450 times
Reputation: 1973
Walkable will get you to zip codes 13088 (Village of Liverpool) and 13104 (where we live, in the Village of Manlius.) We're a one-car family and have managed very well that way for the past 5+ years here.

Both exactly what you describe... Liverpool is more urban and Manlius is more rural.

Liverpool has a very large, lakeside park with an impressive number of activities for all ages- you just can't swim in the lake as it's VERY polluted. There are historical museums, sports' fields, running/biking/skating/rowing clubs, miles of paved and unpaved trails, a skate park, water misting tower, HUGE playground, shop for renting pedicabs and sports equipment, marina... lots going on in that park. And of course, there are restaurants, bars, eateries, post office, shops, etc. A locally-owned Nichols supermarket has a great meat and cheese selection. There's the library. The school district is decent, although a bit more urban/ghetto wannabe (so to speak) in the upper grades especially. The big-box shopping is about 10-15 minutes away.

Manlius, as I said, is more rural. It's more solidly middle-upperclass and the focus is more on nature. Lots of park space, streams, ponds, fishing, woods, playgrounds. There are sports' fields, an ice cream shop that opens in the warm season, a village farmers' market twice a week, restaurants, bars, post office, Tops grocery store, GORGEOUS library, community center with lots of activities (they're having a Father/Daughter Valentine's dance in a few weeks) that are subsidized heavily with village taxes, and the big box shopping (and the YMCA) are 5-10 minutes away. The school district is GREAT.

I don't see much up in the Village of Manlius itself, right now, but here are a few-

$109K http://syracuseny.prudentialcnyrealt...5250#tblPhotos Taxes are $3002

$119K http://syracuseny.prudentialcnyrealt...5938#tblPhotos Taxes are $3233

$125K http://syracuseny.prudentialcnyrealt...6190#tblPhotos Taxes are $1563, not sure why but maybe the homeowners are lifelong and REALLY kept on top of their assessments. lol

$135K - http://syracuseny.prudentialcnyrealt...2294#tblPhotos Taxes are $4806... but the grounds are NICE so I can see why.

All very walkable for things like sports' practices, storytimes at the library, quick trips to the grocery store/post office, etc. And Pavone's Pizza is notorious for AWESOME pizza and wings.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 01-26-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
 
56,196 posts, read 80,312,924 times
Reputation: 12387
Villages like Baldwinsville and North Syracuse might work too. You also have areas that have stores and/or other things that you can walk to, but aren't "walkable" in the traditional sense like Bayberry in the town of Clay(Liverpool SD) and the part of Fairmount north of West Genesee Street in the town of Camillus. Fayetteville is another village to consider, as it has a Y, a shopping center, a nice village center that is historic and that has restaurants along with shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,959,450 times
Reputation: 1973
Can someone help with Village of Liverpool listings? A ton of 13088 listings were up but I don't know which ones are actually in the village itself. The ones I posted for the Village of Manlius are ones that I know are in the village because I see them almost every day or I know what block numbers on the really long streets are still in the village. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 4,629,749 times
Reputation: 3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Liverpool has a very large, lakeside park with an impressive number of activities for all ages- you just can't swim in the lake as it's VERY polluted. There are historical museums, sports' fields, running/biking/skating/rowing clubs, miles of paved and unpaved trails, a skate park, water misting tower, HUGE playground, shop for renting pedicabs and sports equipment, marina... lots going on in that park. And of course, there are restaurants, bars, eateries, post office, shops, etc. A locally-owned Nichols supermarket has a great meat and cheese selection. There's the library. The school district is decent, although a bit more urban/ghetto wannabe (so to speak) in the upper grades especially. The big-box shopping is about 10-15 minutes away.
I live in the Village of Liverpool and cannot say enough great things about it! All of what Proulxfamily said above are the many reasons why I love it. We also have a great pizza place - Pizza Villa, not to mention our famous Heid's Hotdog restaurant... next door to it is Sweet Treats, an icecream place that is open in the summer (both are always packed during the summer). If you have pets, there's the Liverpool Village Animal Hospital that's a very large facility and has great vets as well. Everyone in the Village is very friendly - it's the kind of place where you know you're safe and your kids will be fine playing outside, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Can someone help with Village of Liverpool listings? A ton of 13088 listings were up but I don't know which ones are actually in the village itself. The ones I posted for the Village of Manlius are ones that I know are in the village because I see them almost every day or I know what block numbers on the really long streets are still in the village. lol
Proulxfamily - the website that you used in your last post does not have any listings in the Village of Liverpool (they were all in Clay/greater Liverpool)

I found these, all of which are in the Village of Liverpool:

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...246372&AgentID=
($149K)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...246834&AgentID=
($149K)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...246425&AgentID=
($132,650)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...234880&AgentID=
($124,900)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...246980&AgentID=
($124,900)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...246520&AgentID=
($124,500)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...243137&AgentID=
($109,900)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...244577&AgentID=
($106,900)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...246551&AgentID=
($99,400)

http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...37813&AgentID=
($72K)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,959,450 times
Reputation: 1973
Thank you! Prudential divides the areas into towns only... so if you don't know the zip code and the village name and/or postal area, you'll choose the wrong listing. Gah. I like the listings' displays better but it's not much help for non-locals who are looking to find something in a specific area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: 213, 310, 562, 909, 951, 952, 315, ???
1,537 posts, read 2,207,579 times
Reputation: 1858
Kid friendly groups and activities in or around Camillus. There are youth sports in every town in CNY.
I prefer Camillus because it is family friendly with everything you could need and it lacks the pretentiousness that a lot of the other towns have.

Indoor arena for soccer and lacrosse The Ultimate Goal Family Sports Center, Marcellus, New York
Indoor bounce houses: http://www.cjshouseofbounce.com/
Camillus Youth Center: Town Shop Youth Center
Camillus Mom' group- Camillus Moms | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114513978586912 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Capitol Hill - Washington, DC
3,168 posts, read 4,629,749 times
Reputation: 3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Thank you! Prudential divides the areas into towns only... so if you don't know the zip code and the village name and/or postal area, you'll choose the wrong listing. Gah. I like the listings' displays better but it's not much help for non-locals who are looking to find something in a specific area.
No prob! I know how confusing it can be - when I was looking for apartments back when I first moved here, I was very confused as to what was technically Village and what wasn't.


To the OP - I forgot to mention - some of those listings I gave you are on Second Street and are literally across the street from the elementary school. Don't know how old your kids are, but that could be convenient. The only downside is that it's not really walking distance from the business district (located on Tulip St)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
 
56,196 posts, read 80,312,924 times
Reputation: 12387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Kid friendly groups and activities in or around Camillus. There are youth sports in every town in CNY.
I prefer Camillus because it is family friendly with everything you could need and it lacks the pretentiousness that a lot of the other towns have.

Indoor arena for soccer and lacrosse The Ultimate Goal Family Sports Center, Marcellus, New York
Indoor bounce houses: http://www.cjshouseofbounce.com/
Camillus Youth Center: Town Shop Youth Center
Camillus Mom' group- Camillus Moms | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114513978586912 - broken link)
I know what you are getting and actually agree. I also think that the Fairmount/Westvale(town of Geddes), is similar to something you might see on Long Island. Liverpool is fine too. To be fair, the F-M area, while relatively more affluent than most parts of the area, it still has it's share of down to earth folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top