Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times

Advertisements

Jamesville Dewitt School District
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Fayetteville Manlius School District
http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowPr...ID=&ML=S246944

West Genesse School District
http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowPr...ID=&ML=S245674
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Hello Colleen, husband, & family,

AMAZING!! I never thought there would be anything as good as the 2 homes that ToeJam found for you to consider. Both the homes are in decent locations too. Both school districts are good too. These are WAY BETTER single-family rental homes than what I've seen in the past.

These homes should rent real quick if renters see them on this listing site.

GREAT JOB ToeJam!!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
You can go to cnyrealtor.com and choose residential rentals and sort by city, school district, and price. Realtors also have a "book" of rentals which may or may not be posted on the MLS.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 10,694 times
Thanks so much Toejam! That first one in Dewitt sounds perferct! I will definitely have the hubby set up some appointments! Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello Colleen, husband, & family,

AMAZING!! I never thought there would be anything as good as the 2 homes that ToeJam found for you to consider. Both the homes are in decent locations too. Both school districts are good too. These are WAY BETTER single-family rental homes than what I've seen in the past.
There are plenty of great single-family listings available. I'm not sure where you were looking before?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
I agree, your 2 best bets are Craigslist or independent realtors.

Just an FYI - there have been alot of scams popping up on CL recently, but they're pretty obvious to spot. They'll say something like "delightful home" and have pictures of a fully furnished gorgeous house with no actual real description available besides saying something like "amenities available."

I seriously would be lost without Craigslist

Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
There are plenty of great single-family listings available. I'm not sure where you were looking before?
It's been several years since I looked for a single family home for myself. I was only looking in the good suburbs. The way I was looking was by driving along streets, as you mentioned to gemgirl earlier in this post section, noticing For Rent signs on houses. Unfortunately when I'd go to see the interior of the homes, the interiors just weren't up to par for me (and certainly not acceptable to a lady-friend of mine). I can overlook a lot of inferior conditions but the places I looked at, I could never have friends or family visit me; that's why I didn't rent any of them. Either the carpets would be old and in need of replacement 5 years earlier OR the kitchen appliances were past their life-span OR bathroom items were too stained and dingy; things that I could not correct. I could paint walls and clean windows and spackle wall cracks, etc. But those were the small things that I could improve whereas it was the BIG things that needed updating that I couldn't do anything about--too expensive for a renter to do. Maybe the better places are handled/offered for rent through realtors and the ones the have For Rent signs on the house are the ones in need of updating; at least that was my experience. I ended up renting a brand new soundproof apartment where the complex was completing construction. That complex even let me choose the color appliances I wanted, the color carpets, and the paint colors for the interior of my apartment. That apartment was SO MUCH BETTER than the single family houses I found by looking for For Rent signs. I was never embarassed to have friends or family visit me at my apartment whereas I would have been with the houses I saw.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 AM

13 posts, read 16,142 times
I am wondering the exact same thing as the original poster. We are moving from Horseheads to Syracuse, also looking to rent a home in the same areas. We have the huge obstacle of having two small (under 25 lbs.) dogs. They are crate trained, not destructive....mid-age so no puppy/young dog issues. Because of this, most of the townhomes are not an option, that's why we are focusing on single family homes for rent w/ a bit of a yard. I have been looking at CL everyday, and am also a bit dismayed re. all of the scams, which really muck things up! (Yes, easy to spot, for the most part, but still a pain....) We are looking to stay right around 1,100/mo. We plan on coming up next week to look and it seems as though talking to a realtor might be the thing to do.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycorgi View Post
I am wondering the exact same thing as the original poster. We are moving from Horseheads to Syracuse, also looking to rent a home in the same areas. We have the huge obstacle of having two small (under 25 lbs.) dogs. They are crate trained, not destructive....mid-age so no puppy/young dog issues. Because of this, most of the townhomes are not an option, that's why we are focusing on single family homes for rent w/ a bit of a yard. I have been looking at CL everyday, and am also a bit dismayed re. all of the scams, which really muck things up! (Yes, easy to spot, for the most part, but still a pain....) We are looking to stay right around 1,100/mo. We plan on coming up next week to look and it seems as though talking to a realtor might be the thing to do.
Hello,

I know how difficult it is when you have 2 dogs and want to rent a place. I have 2 Labrador Retrievers and I could never give them up for any reason. Fortunately I own my own home.

Anyway, this is what I found for you. Two or three of these seem perfect for you. If you like any of them I'd try to rent one right away if that is convenient for you. Unfortunately, some of these are above your price range OR some distance from Syracuse city.

Click on the following Link Lines to see these homes.

BREWERTON - Good close location. These people probably want to try to sell this place in the Spring, that's probably why they mention short term rental. You could ask them for a 18 month lease. That would take them & you into the SPRING of 2012--whatever you think. I don't imagine they want to try to sell it in the wintertime. Yes pet.
Click here>> http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...47620&AgentID=

SKANEATLES - Located between Skaneatles Falls & Skaneatles. Listing says no pets but it doesn't hurt to inquire anyway and explain your situation.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...36015&AgentID=

CAZENOVIA - Says Yes possible dog; No cats. Close to Syracuse.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...47270&AgentID=

GEDDES - At the west edge of Syracuse city, zip code 13219. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...47558&AgentID=

SYRACUSE City - North side location, zip code 13208. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...47611&AgentID=

SYRACUSE City - North side location, zip code 13208. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...46324&AgentID=

SKANEATLES - Location about 6 miles south of Skaneatles village, on the west side of the Lake. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...37496&AgentID=

CICERO - Good suburban location. Higher price. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...47006&AgentID=

LIVERPOOL - Good suburban location. Higher price. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...46649&AgentID=

BALDWINSVILLE - Good suburban location. Higher price. Says yes pet.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...46558&AgentID=

TO SEE A STREET MAP OF WHERE THESE HOMES ARE LOCATED, CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK LINE AND ENTER THE STREET AND TOWN NAME. Then click on "GET MAP". .. www.mapblast.com/

Sorry I could not find more homes for you to consider but that's all I found within a reasonable drive from Syracuse. You should also check with realtors in the Syracuse area. If you find a place that you like, you probably better take it as soon as you are able. Maybe you want to have photos of your small, quiet, well behaved dogs in a >relaxing pose< with you, in case you need to show them to anyone.

For your information, Mattydale zip code 13211, East Syracuse 13057, Minoa 13116, Fairmount 13219, & Solvay 13209 might have single family homes in your price range that were NOT listed on the internet site I used. You can always drive around streets in those towns to see if there are any "For Rent" signs on any homes.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by grdnrman; 02-12-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 14,092 times
A lot of the houses in the village of Fayetteville are for rent. If I catch one driving by, I'll send the phone number along to you. Also, they just announced plans for a new development in Manlius across from the firehouse, it's going to be one of those live where you work mini-town type developments that are popping up all over. I believe they just stated apartments on the top, however it could mean lots of new real estate popping up in the area. Since your husband has family here, you should see if they'll send you some newspapers. The local neighborhood papers like the pennysaver, and the neighbors east, west, and north always have classified listings, as well as the Post Standard which is available online, as someone stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area