Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 PM

127 posts, read 271,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It was not 20 below this weekend. Where did you get that from?

Also, the heat can be unbearable in the South for a large portion of the year too. It's bad when the Army tells it's soldiers to pull up their pants up and to take their shirts off during Basic Training. This happened to me at Fort Jackson SC and Ft. Gordon GA during AIT.
Below 20, not 20 below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM

92,598 posts, read 122,890,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
Below 20, not 20 below.
Still, I don't think it got that low.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,745,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Still, I don't think it got that low.
Bar-hopping hours would explain those temps, for sure. It was definitely "Dog- you'd better get your business done FAST" cold this weekend, at night. lol

When I went to the flea market on Sunday at 7am-ish, the Mony building read 13. At the beginning of February, 13 is warm enough that you don't NEED your gloves and you might even think, "Thank goodness it's warming up a bit." After being teased by high-50's temps recently, 13 at the end of March starts to feel more like "Where the he!! are my gloves?!!!"

Let's be clear, Imj- the cold is just as cold to you as it is to me. I want warmth back just as much as you do... to get the mail in my bare feet and lie in the sun on a sunny, plush bit of grass... it's just that our expectations are different. I always assume that it's going to snow on Easter, Mother's Day, on Halloween, etc. This is Syracuse, after all. When it's warmer than that? Hallelujah! When it's exactly what I expected, that's just part of living here and being used to it.

I'm probably like you about our weather, in reverse... when it's 98 degrees, my face is inches from the turbo-fan and I can still hardly feel the air moving, and we're stripped down to the basics, I think "WTH, Syracuse?!! Where are the clouds? Where's your stormfront? Where are the mother-effing cold spells to bring us back down to a respectable high-70's?!!" haha

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM

357 posts, read 965,956 times
On a side note, for those of you thinking the problem is only in Syracuse, it's not! Their expecting snow here in TN this week. This winter hit the entire east hard this year. Were not getting as much snow as Syracuse but our temps are still colder than usual. It's been a long and hard winter for everyone, so stop complaining and acting like Syracuse is the only place that gets cold and snowy.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Every city forum on here has people who love their location and those who hate it. That's pretty much what these boards are for. People can see a balanced opinion of good and bad about an area. If it weren't for those of us who are negative about Syracuse, the pro-Syracuse people would have nothing to talk about and this board would be pretty dead.
I dunno about that... there are an awful lot of relocation inquiries, especially in the past year or so.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM

92,598 posts, read 122,890,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I dunno about that... there are an awful lot of relocation inquiries, especially in the past year or so.
I was going to say that too. You also get those that come to the area that might look for restaurants, hotels and things to do while in town.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,609,193 times
I visit quite a few of these boards and they are all for lovers, haters, and people asking questions about moving. The relocation topic is not just in Syracuse and the number os inquiries are no higher here. The only thing that changes is the location.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I visit quite a few of these boards and they are all for lovers, haters, and people asking questions about moving. The relocation topic is not just in Syracuse and the number os inquiries are no higher here. The only thing that changes is the location.
What's regular on other boards isn't the same for all. I don't read other boards, generally... but I have noticed a trend, in stark comparison to before, of people relocating to central NY. It's been a huge jump, relatively, to how it was before. People relocate to all over the nation and the world... it's new to have so many people finding this site to ask about relocation. And I'm really appreciative of that.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:59 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,257,019 times
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you don't see this often in April Downstate.............

Quote:
.. WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS... ALL OF NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA... CATSKILLS... SUSQUEHANNA REGION OF NEW YORK... THE UPPER MOHAWK VALLEY.

* HAZARDS... HEAVY WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... POTENTIAL FOR AT LEAST 7 INCHES OF SNOW. HIGHEST ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. LESS SNOW WILL FALL IN THE VALLEYS.

* TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP THURSDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED LATE THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES... FROM THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.

* WINDS... NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS TO 25 MPH POSSIBLE FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS... HEAVY WET SNOW IS EXPECTED TO HAMPER TRAVEL AND COULD LEAD TO SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES DUE TO THE WEIGHT OF THE SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT BECAUSE HEAVY SNOW IS A POSSIBILITY... BUT NOT A CERTAINTY. AT THIS TIME... THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 INCHES OR MORE. TRAVEL CONDITIONS COULD BECOME VERY HAZARDOUS... SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO TRAVEL IN THE WATCH AREA. PERSONS SHOULD ALSO PREPARE FOR POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:05 PM

357 posts, read 965,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here and guess you don't see this often in April Downstate.............
In TN snow flurries are expected starting tomorrow night and into Friday! So you betcha, it happens all over the country. Upstate NY is not the only place that gets winter weather in March/April. Friends of mine in Northern CA got a major snow storm just last week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area