Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times

Advertisements

Shark fishing just isn't what it used to be and the sea lions and walruses went away. I think the surf will improve when Niagara Falls erodes a little further and Lake Erie drains in one big whoosh. Come to think of it that won't be too good, since that event will push Nine Mile Point up to, say, Clinton Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
Is it possible to surf the great lakes on normal days? Or are the waves only big enough during storms?
I don't think I've ever seen someone try to surf on a lake. lol

Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 AM

127 posts, read 271,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I don't think I've ever seen someone try to surf on a lake. lol
Google it.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Here it is: Lake surfing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is interesting that the Fall and Winter would be the best times to do this, but I'm wondering if the Spring would be good around here, as the weather is still pretty mild and can get pretty windy. I wonder if people that go to the beaches on Lake Ontario have tried this.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,598 times
I know people surf Lake Erie near Cleveland never seen them doing it in the Buffalo/Erie County area though (other than windsurfing).

Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM

257 posts, read 750,814 times
LOL folks. I think we are getting a bit off topic here, but thanks for the feedback. Although I have never yet been to the Syracuse area, I am somewhat familiar with the geopgraphy/weather of upstate. My brother lives in the Albany area, we've been to Lake George over a dozen times (not including this summer) and I did go to Oneonta for college, but only for one year.

Perhaps some of you might be able to give me a better comparison. Is the weather more like Rochester, Oneonta, Albany? or totally different?

I'm not so concerned about the weather itself, but more about how debilitating it is or isn't. I know myself and I am defiantly the type to go stir crazy if stuck inside too long. From what most people are saying it seems that the town takes care of it pretty well. Would everyone agree?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Some of us think a Great Lake is an ocean without the bad smell.
Have to tell you I love the smell of the ocean.... maybe because I have to living so close to it. There's nothing better than the combination smell of ocean, sunscreen and iced tea. Getting excited just thinking about it... soon enough.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
You're going to hate it here. The lakes up here just can't compare to the beaches on long island.
Imj7...Long Islander to Long Islander I have to tell you you're a bit negative, but while I appreciate your honest feedback as someone coming from where I am. Perhaps you should give the area more of a chance. What casued you to move to the area in the first place? I'll be honest with you in saying that young, especially single, people (which I believe you said you were) are leaving here in packs. As much as I LOVE the beaches and convenience to the city it's just sooooo expensive. Not to mention the job market is totally saturated. Most recent college grads are taking jobs in the 20,000 range, which you probably know can't even get you a 1 br. apt in Wyandanch. You could get a second job, but basically then your working too much to enjoy where you live anyway.....that's ultimately why we are considering the move- so we can actually have time with our family.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
I know myself and I am defiantly the type to go stir crazy if stuck inside too long.
You won't be stuck inside because you will be busy shoveling snow unless you hire that job out. the amount of snow that would shut down LI is an normal day here.

The towns clean up pretty good during the week, but they are in no hurry on weekends. Depending on where you live, they may clean the main roads, but the side roads are a mess.

Syracuse has the same job problems as Long Island. Many recent college grads are finding that they are not making the money they thought they would be making and decide to leave town looking for a better opportunity.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM

127 posts, read 271,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Have to tell you I love the smell of the ocean.... maybe because I have to living so close to it. There's nothing better than the combination smell of ocean, sunscreen and iced tea. Getting excited just thinking about it... soon enough.
Same here. My parents live about 1 minute from the North Shore, and a year ago my parents bought a brand new boat. I've only been on in a few times since I don't get to go home too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area