Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,052 times

Advertisements

<my best Spongebob narrator's voice> Seex ow-eurs lay-tere...

Pretty pitiful, eh? Hey- I'm pretty sick of cold and snow too but this? Is nothing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190564_10150463722180697_543140696_17570642_623162 5_n.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
I LOVE how post after post, the naysayers completely ignore me when I show that yes you can move to Syracuse and like it. Guess when they generalize, it means everyone, except me, since I would be going against their thoughts.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM

127 posts, read 271,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I LOVE how post after post, the naysayers completely ignore me when I show that yes you can move to Syracuse and like it. Guess when they generalize, it means everyone, except me, since I would be going against their thoughts.
You have said before that you like it wherever you go, so you're not a good data point.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Quote:
You have also mentioned that you move a lot. It is easy to like a place when you know you won't be there long. I am sure Syracuse is great to those on an short stay, but not so great in terms of providing an environment I would want to call home.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
You have said before that you like it wherever you go, so you're not a good data point.
My point exactly - I don't fit your "mold." So if I wouldn't necessarily like everywhere I lived, THEN I would matter? Gimme a break. Life is what you make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
You have also mentioned that you move a lot. It is easy to like a place when you know you won't be there long. I am sure Syracuse is great to those on an short stay, but not so great in terms of providing an environment I would want to call home.
Actually, I really don't. I lived in south Jersey until I was 15 and my dad got a new job in the Boston area, so I was only up there to finish out highschool and then on to college, which was in Florida. My first job out of college was in Hawaii, but I knew I wasn't going to be there forever. It just so happened that my "lifetime career" was in Syracuse. I am more than happy here and if I was given the opportunity to move again, I wouldn't. Hawaii was more my transitional place and Syracuse is definitely my home.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
My point exactly - I don't fit your "mold." So if I wouldn't necessarily like everywhere I lived, THEN I would matter? Gimme a break. Life is what you make it.
Yes. You are the type of person that is happy anywhere they go, so by you liking Syracuse gives us no additional information.

If you didn't like everywhere you've been BUT like Syracuse, then you would have a point.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Yes. You are the type of person that is happy anywhere they go, so by you liking Syracuse gives us no additional information.

If you didn't like everywhere you've been BUT like Syracuse, then you would have a point.
If Syracuse was A Miserable Place, then no one would be happy here.

YOU aren't happy here. IMJ isn't happy here. This isn't a situation where one places blame on their area; it's specific only to those who don't like it. Remaining in a place where you're not feeling satisfied is your own choice entirely. Stomping your feet as you go, trying to get as many people to notice your irrate DISsatisfaction, is... gosh, that describes my preschoolers pretty well.

LA is great. I wouldn't be happy there... so I wouldn't move there.

My mother doesn't like going to MA because the people remind of her beloved great grandmother and hearing the accent causes her sadness. It's not that MA is bad... it's just bad for her.

My father in law used to be a Methodist minister in Vermont. He ended up leaving his wife, in a fairly scandalous fashion, while in that parish and the people reacted as one might expect. He hates that town and everywhere directly surrounding it. He badmouths the area, its economy, its people... but it's not fair to them. He had a negative experience there. The area isn't bad.

I suspect that negative experiences, whether caused by oneself or through a stroke or ten of bad luck, make *some* people bitter about the location they were in when it happened. Still, it's not the fault of the locale, no matter how bitter one feels about it.

And with the population GROWTH we're seeing despite the exodus that DID happen at the start of the last decade, enough people returned or moved to this area to more than make up for it... to the tune of 12K+. No other major upstate metro showed a gain in population. Considering the wretched, soul-draining, wrist-cutting weather some of the posters here describe, I find this to be a rather curious result... don't you think? We must have one hell of an area that people aren't being scared off by the weather. In fact, it's the harsh winter itself that has bonded some of my recently-located-here friends to the area even more.

We're PROUD of being able to take it and even have a damn good time throughout. We all bi*** and whine and moan... but we get through it and brag to everyone. During a huge storm, I'll see an absolute onslaught of whining on FB about the weather... but they're all out, having a good time, that night. MY GOD- 2 feet of snow in 12 hours is insane!!! But I made it my Bi***- who wants to meet up at Coleman's later?! It's a serious point of pride. And it looks like enough other people are taking pride in it too, right along with us natives.

Anyone who doesn't enjoy an area's way of life should feel free to not be part of it. It looks like there will be people enough who want to replace them.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-25-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 AM

The US population increased from 281,421,906 to 308,745,538 from 2000 to 2010. An increase of 9.7%. According to the other thread, Onondoga county went from 458,336 to 467,026 an increase of 1.9. And Syracuse's population actually decreased. What does that suggest?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
The US population increased from 281,421,906 to 308,745,538 from 2000 to 2010. An increase of 9.7%. According to the other thread, Onondoga county went from 458,336 to 467,026 an increase of 1.9. And Syracuse's population actually decreased. What does that suggest?
Actually, the Syracuse population increased later in the decade, as the estimates were under 140,000 at one point. So, it actually fluctuated this decade, with gains later in the decade. I'll take any growth that is steady, as long as it doesn't ridiculously change the area into massive sprawl like some areas.

Keep in mind that Onondaga County's peak population, which was in 1970, was around 470,000. So, it's actually approaching that number and might surprass it, if some of these projects come to fruition soon.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-25-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
lol - I think it's rather clear, isn't it? If one's intent is strong enough, he can manipulate any raw data to support his own view.

And that Syracuse/central NY (which is fairly synonymous, given the proximity and easy access with the county) is still the only major upstate NY metro to see a gain in population, not only stopping the previous STEEP declines but also bucking them, in reverse, pretty thoroughly. Considering the enormous amount of people I remember leaving the area in the early part of the decade, which wasn't accounted for since it happened just *after* the last census, I think that even that 12K+ number doesn't come close to documenting just how many people have moved here since.

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-25-2011 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area