Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Both the MSA and the city have dropped in rankings, so by both measures, the growth of those areas have not kept pace with the rest of the country. And why would you count cayuga as part of syracuse's MSA? You almost could double count that with Rochester if you wanted to. Honestly, it is too far from either city.
Actually, Cayuga County was a part of the Syracuse metro in the previous 2 or 3 censuses. So, what does Rochester have to do with that?

Also, for the current counties, the metro still grew and is still in the top 100, contrary to the article. Syracuse's economic regional impact area is 40th or so in the country and second in the state. I believe that the CSA for Syracuse is in the 50's as well. So, there is more to this than just the city population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Cayuga County was a part of the Syracuse metro in the previous 2 or 3 censuses. So, what does Rochester have to do with that?

Also, for the current counties, the metro still grew and is still in the top 100, contrary to the article. Syracuse's economic regional impact area is 40th or so in the country and second in the state. I believe that the CSA for Syracuse is in the 50's as well. So, there is more to this than just the city population.
40th in the country? Care to back that up?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
40th in the country? Care to back that up?
If you enter into the search box "Syracuse BEA", you see a population list and you will see it. I actually posted this a while back and found this out because of a post on the General U.S. forum. Keep in mind this is in terms of population, from what I've found. BEA stands for Bureau of Economic Analysis.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Wow is that reaching or what??

Syracuse has gone from a tiny dot of a hick town/small city to darn near controlling the World.

But, but you can buy the Post Standard all over <please hold I'm LMAO>, ok I'm back. I can buy the NY Times, News and Post just about anywhere Upstate so I guess we are part of NYC now??

I live in the Syracuse MSA now and I can't deny it. Makes me wanna puke but facts are facts. But I lived in the Mohawk Valley for several decades and trust me nobody from Utica or Herkimer think of Syracuse. I think I was in my 30's before I ever even went to Syracuse. Why would one go to Syracuse?? NYC is a real City. Albany has some nice stuff being the Capitol and all. Buffalo fills the blanks. Wanna say I was in Buffalo last week and was very impressed.

But Syracuse?? Syracuse?? Place is a dump. When asked were I am from I say NY, the Mohawk Valley area, beautiful place you should go.

If I say Syracuse people say "Syracuse?? Never heard of it" or "Syracuse?? Isn't that like Baby Detroit??"

Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
I have lived in quite a few places and I can assure you that most people have no idea where Syracuse is. They assume it is part of NYC. The only ones that know anything about Syracuse are those who like college sports and still most of them assume it is around NYC.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I have lived in quite a few places and I can assure you that most people have no idea where Syracuse is. They assume it is part of NYC. The only ones that know anything about Syracuse are those who like college sports and still most of them assume it is around NYC.
Some do and some don't. It was like that when I was going to college in MI. I was surprised sometimes when people knew where it was, because they've said that they have been there before.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Wow is that reaching or what??

Syracuse has gone from a tiny dot of a hick town/small city to darn near controlling the World.

But, but you can buy the Post Standard all over <please hold I'm LMAO>, ok I'm back. I can buy the NY Times, News and Post just about anywhere Upstate so I guess we are part of NYC now??

I live in the Syracuse MSA now and I can't deny it. Makes me wanna puke but facts are facts. But I lived in the Mohawk Valley for several decades and trust me nobody from Utica or Herkimer think of Syracuse. I think I was in my 30's before I ever even went to Syracuse. Why would one go to Syracuse?? NYC is a real City. Albany has some nice stuff being the Capitol and all. Buffalo fills the blanks. Wanna say I was in Buffalo last week and was very impressed.

But Syracuse?? Syracuse?? Place is a dump. When asked were I am from I say NY, the Mohawk Valley area, beautiful place you should go.

If I say Syracuse people say "Syracuse?? Never heard of it" or "Syracuse?? Isn't that like Baby Detroit??"
Baby detroit. Pretty fitting description, although outside of syracuse, there is plenty of nice natural beauty, unlike detroit.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Baby detroit. Pretty fitting description, although outside of syracuse, there is plenty of nice natural beauty, unlike detroit.
Not even close and I wonder if he's been to Detroit.

Also, there is plenty of beauty outside of that city/metro too.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
I've lived several places outside NY.

And I travel alot over a 25 year period by big truck, car and motorcycle.

I also work everyday with truck drivers from all over the USA.

And that includes Detroit and Cleveland both of which are scary similar to Syracuse. Except size of coarse.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
And I have had a completely different experience so I can assure you that people DO know where Syracuse is. They may not know the exact location in NY state but I have NEVER had one single person ask me if Syracuse is a part of NYC! And ToeJam in all of your other posts you imply that you are in your early 20's. I find it very hard to believe that as an adult you have "lived quite a few places" especially since all you ever refer to is how wonderful NJ/NYC is. I grew up in Syracuse, I have lived in, Boston (1 year), Houston (5 years), DC metro (5 years), and now I'm going on 5 years in Northeast TN, all as a working adult. I have lived quite a few places! And once again NO ONE has EVER told me they have never heard of Syracuse and don't know that it is in NY state. They may not know the exact location in NY state but I don't know exactly where Lexington is in KY, or Salt Lake City is in Utah. or where exactly the Bronx or Harlem are in NYC! But I don't think it really matters as long as I know the state they are in!

Last edited by beckyhuggs; 03-30-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area