U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM

13 posts, read 21,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello seaglassmomma,

Postal zip codes in & around Fayetteville & Manlius. Fayetteville zip code 13066, Manlius zip code 13104, Pompey 13138, Cazenovia 13035, Chittenango 13037, Kirkville 13082, Minoa 13116, East Syracuse 13057, Dewitt 13214, and Jamesville 13078.

There are no "village" taxes when you purchase a home OUTSIDE the INCORPORATED boundries of a village. There are some UN-INCORPORATED (no village taxes) home neighborhoods at both Fayetteville & Manlius; ask the realtor if a particular home is outside the "village" limits/incorporation.

Fayetteville has more OLDER home areas than Manlius although Fayetteville DOES have newer home neighborhoods too.

Manlius has more NEWER home areas than Fayetteville but DOES have some older home neighborhoods too.

Both the Fayetteville and Manlius areas are nice upscale places to live. Children in both towns attend the same High School. Personally I like Manlius better because of the newer neighborhoods. I also like the very center point of Manlius where all the main streets converge even though the traffic at that center point can be heavy during rush hours. I do like the ENDERS ROAD area (nice homes) that you mentioned. At Manlius, you should also check for homes on streets that run off (1) South Eagle Village Road, (2) on streets that run off Pompey Center Road, (3) on streets off Brickyard Falls Road, and (4) on some streets off Sweet Road.

To see a street map of any neighborhood, click on the following Link Line, then enter the street and town name/address or zip code. Then click on "GET MAP".

I suppose that you already researched/considered Skaneatles village; a suburb farther away from Metro Syracuse. Skaneatles is probably the most upscale town around Metro Syracuse.

Good luck to you. Welcome to Metro Syracuse. ...... grdnrman

Thank you grdnrman for the info! We did look at Skaneatles - so lovely, but we feel Manlius a better fit for us. So much to look forward to! CNY seems wonderful - can't wait to see for myself! : )
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Hi again! Maybe we'll be neighbors....good luck househunting when you come up for April break. We will be in CT for a few days that week!

As far as the difference between the schools: My 8th grader tells me the Wellwood school kids tend to be a bit 'rougher'. She gave me an example of a Eagle Hill student who was expelled last year (of course this is all hearsay) and sent to Wellwood. I know a couple of Wellwood kids and they seem just as great as the Eagle Hill kids I know so please take this with a grain of salt. Some of the Eagle Hill kids are materialistic. I'm sure some of the Wellwood kids are also. I don't think you can go wrong with either school.

Enders Rd. is a great school and my little guy likes it very much. The principal is wonderful and very hands on. She lives in our neighborhood and was very kind to us when we first moved in. I can't say anything about the F'ville elem. schools b/c I have no experience with them. I know a teacher from Mott Elementary and she is a wonderful person and I've heard she's a great teacher (4th grade).

Honestly, I don't think there's a huge difference with the schools. As I explained before, we went with the location of our house and how close it was to the schools. I've been busy renovating our house slowly and it's coming along. We usually buy new houses, but I couldn't bear the giant taxes on the new/er houses here. If you find a house you love in either area you will be in good shape as far as your kids' education.

Best wishes!

Hi CTwoman! How funny would that be if we ended up neighbors?!? Thanks for your reply about the schools. Here, in Milford, we have 3 middle and 8 elementary schools. I sub as a para (teacher's aide) in the elementary schools and see such a range of kids in each school, but great kids in all. I know the schools in Manlius are ranked at the top and that Manlius is considered more affluent than not. I am hearing more and more about the kids being a bit materialistic. I guess, without a crystal ball, I can't know really which school would be the best fit for my kids and will just have to have faith that we will end up where we're meant to be! I could make myself crazy trying to compare and contrast the middle schools (since we'll have one of our children in middle school for several years, I feel I need to do this). Anyway, thanks again for your time. Your feedback is appreciated from one Mom to another!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM

654 posts, read 1,182,921 times
Default Street Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Hello seaglassmomma,

Postal zip codes in & around Fayetteville & Manlius. Fayetteville zip code 13066, Manlius zip code 13104, Pompey 13138, Cazenovia 13035, Chittenango 13037, Kirkville 13082, Minoa 13116, East Syracuse 13057, Dewitt 13214, and Jamesville 13078.

To see a street map of any neighborhood, click on the following Link Line, then enter the street and town name/address or zip code. Then click on "GET MAP".

Good luck to you. Welcome to Metro Syracuse. ...... grdnrman
Hello seaglassmomma & family,

Sorry, I neglected to include the STREET MAP website Link Line in my previous message.

To see a street map of any neighborhood, click on the following Link Line, enter the street-town-zip code address. Then click on "GET MAP".>>
www.mapblast.com/

Enders Road, Manlius, NY 13104>> CLICK BELOW>>
http://www.mapblast.com/(frym5155ao2...c+NY+13104|L1|

grdnrman

Old 03-29-2011, 05:52 PM

89 posts, read 105,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaglassmomma View Post
Hi CTwoman! How funny would that be if we ended up neighbors?!? Thanks for your reply about the schools. Here, in Milford, we have 3 middle and 8 elementary schools. I sub as a para (teacher's aide) in the elementary schools and see such a range of kids in each school, but great kids in all. I know the schools in Manlius are ranked at the top and that Manlius is considered more affluent than not. I am hearing more and more about the kids being a bit materialistic. I guess, without a crystal ball, I can't know really which school would be the best fit for my kids and will just have to have faith that we will end up where we're meant to be! I could make myself crazy trying to compare and contrast the middle schools (since we'll have one of our children in middle school for several years, I feel I need to do this). Anyway, thanks again for your time. Your feedback is appreciated from one Mom to another!

Oh, and I L-O-V-E sea glass!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Oh, and I L-O-V-E sea glass!

Oh, me too! I will truly miss the convenience of our beaches here. To be able to get to a beautiful beach in a few minutes has been such a joy. I have learned that lakes can have beach glass, too. Have you found any at the lakes nearby? I hope the lakes become our new beaches! I will miss the ocean.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 21 days ago)

30,309 posts, read 35,014,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaglassmomma View Post
Oh, me too! I will truly miss the convenience of our beaches here. To be able to get to a beautiful beach in a few minutes has been such a joy. I have learned that lakes can have beach glass, too. Have you found any at the lakes nearby? I hope the lakes become our new beaches! I will miss the ocean.
You might find some, but I think a beach your kids might like is Sylvan Beach, which is not too far away on the eastern shore of Oneida Lake. Sylvan Beach, New York

Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Association, Sylvan Beach, NY

The Sylvan Beach Amusement Park

Here are some others you and your family might enjoy:
Verona Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Oneida Shores Park Onondaga County Parks

Jamesville Beach Park Onondaga County Parks

RV Campgrounds - Brennan Beach RV Campgrounds & Resort in New York, Largest RV Park in the Northeast

Fair Haven Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

William Park, Cicero - Erie Canal, Oswego Canal and Champlain Canal Guide

Welcome to Sandy Pond, NY - Enjoy sandy beaches & great swimming, fishing, boating & more.

and more: Central Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Finger Lakes Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Parks, Forests & Nature Centers | Visit Oswego County

Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might find some, but I think a beach your kids might like is Sylvan Beach, which is not too far away on the eastern shore of Oneida Lake. Sylvan Beach, New York

Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Association, Sylvan Beach, NY

The Sylvan Beach Amusement Park

Here are some others you and your family might enjoy:
Verona Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Oneida Shores Park Onondaga County Parks

Jamesville Beach Park Onondaga County Parks

RV Campgrounds - Brennan Beach RV Campgrounds & Resort in New York, Largest RV Park in the Northeast

Fair Haven Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

William Park, Cicero - Erie Canal, Oswego Canal and Champlain Canal Guide

Welcome to Sandy Pond, NY - Enjoy sandy beaches & great swimming, fishing, boating & more.

and more: Central Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Finger Lakes Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Parks, Forests & Nature Centers | Visit Oswego County
Wow! Thanks so much for these links. I have been wondering which lake is closest to Manlius. Green Lake State Park seems close, too. We're an outdoor bunch and like to go kayaking and hiking, etc... I look forward to the exploring ahead of us! As much as I will miss the ocean, I know there is so much beauty there in the lakes. I will be so happy if I can find beach glass, too! In the meantime, I am scouring my beaches here to add to my collection. : )

Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 893 times
This strand is dated but it is very revealing. You will not find anyone saving jelly from donuts in either town. The two towns are really one community and the lines between them are not clear at all. You can live in either town and your kids may end up in an elementary school officially designated as in the other town. The kids make distinctions about the two towns, usually boasting that their own is better. Scores from the schools tend to be similar. There are probably an equal number of BMWs and Dodges in both. Residents of one are no more likely to show their wealthy or their debts then those of the other. Adults making these distinctions are probably recalling the childhood rivalries. People living closer to the Fayetteville's Towne Center Mall are closer to more shopping but some houses in Manlius are closer than some in Fayetteville. Consider it one community.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manliyesbutFayettoo View Post
...The two towns are really one community and the lines between them are not clear at all.... Consider it one community.
Yes! I agree very much with this poster - I grew up on the other side of town, then lived elsewhere in NY for a number of years and moved back here to Manlius a couple of years ago. All the schools in the district are among the best in the state and the nation. The high school is the only one in the country to have an observatory and planetarium. The community has lots of activities for kids not necessarily connected to a particular school.

Fayetteville is technically closer to Green Lakes, which has lovely places for hiking and swimming, and snowshoeing / X-country skiing in winter. There is a TINY ski hill in Fayetteville great for learning on, which also has sledding. Since they are so close, I would recommend that someone moving here would shop for the house they love, rather than the name of the town. Also, the higher taxes within the village of Manlius include trash removal, and are on a par with the price of that service in neighboring communities, without the hassle of a gazillion trucks from different companies coming down the street.

One point of disagreement - the YMCA has a great variety of programs, and the gym facilities are a good size, but the Fayetteville facility itself is far from what I would call "beautiful". There is now a smaller Y in Manlius, with no pool or child care available while working out. This is a much more attractive place, and between the 2, there isn't a big problem with overcrowding. Both have before and after school drop-off care.

Last edited by lovemyvillage; 05-31-2013 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyvillage View Post
Yes! I agree very much with this poster - I grew up on the other side of town, then lived elsewhere in NY for a number of years and moved back here to Manlius a couple of years ago. All the schools in the district are among the best in the state and the nation. The high school is the only one in the country to have an observatory and planetarium. The community has lots of activities for kids not necessarily connected to a particular school.

One point of disagreement - the YMCA has a great variety of programs, and the gym facilities are a good size, but the Fayetteville facility itself is far from what I would call "beautiful". There is now a smaller Y in Manlius, with no pool or child care available while working out. This is a much more attractive place, and between the 2, there isn't a big problem with overcrowding. Both have before and after school drop-off care.
It's just an outright disagreement, then. I finally stopped in at the Manlius Y and found it camp-y looking. lol - I'm a swimmer though, so the fact that there's no pool or that lovely chlorine smell is off-putting right away. And we have children... so there not being a daycare is strike three. When I go to the Y, it's to swim and drop off the kids - the Manlius Y has neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area