Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,882 times

Advertisements

I was there a couple weeks ago again. I like Dino also. They are very similar. With the nature of smoking meat either place can have a hot or not so hot day.

For NY Q both are pretty darn good. I'd compare both favorably to the Southern chain Sonny's though both are much smaller and more expensive.

Due to our weather good Q is tough. Down South some of the best Q is a couple of crackers smoking meat in some old oil tanks on the side of the road.

If your options are limited to NY, a crime since NC is the best place on Earth, Brooks is the way to go.

Brooks' Original BBQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
I like Limp Lizard - never had any issues with their food at all. I would really have to eat it side by side to Dino to see which one I like more. Dinosaur has more options in the way of other foods and sides (love those fried green tomatoes), but otherwise they are essentially the same to me.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I'm a little skeptical about extremely negative reviews of food (of which, sadly, there is no shortage among the internet crowd of Central New York). People love to get caught up in comparisons (Dino v. Limp Lizard) and are quick to make absolute statements about the quality of places.

That said, my one Limp Lizard experience was so horrid that I'd be very reluctant to go back. The food was just so terrible (and a few of us were pretty eager to share, so I'd say we got to experience the breadth of that kitchen's abilities). Burger, fish, Cuban sandwich, pulled pork, ribs, every side we sampled - all were like airport food. Bland and overcooked. I don't doubt that a few of those things started the day as frozen food. It was truly stunning.

Second chances are nice, but Syracuse is a really good food town and there are too many quality places to have a meal. If I'm in Liverpool and nobody wants Heid's or Indian food, maybe I could be persuaded to try Limp Lizard again. But it's not likely.
Eventhough I've never been, I hear that Santangelo's is pretty good. Canale's isn't too bad either. Some like the Retreat too. I'm probably forgetting some other Liverpool area establishments.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I was there a couple weeks ago again. I like Dino also. They are very similar. With the nature of smoking meat either place can have a hot or not so hot day.

For NY Q both are pretty darn good. I'd compare both favorably to the Southern chain Sonny's though both are much smaller and more expensive.

Due to our weather good Q is tough. Down South some of the best Q is a couple of crackers smoking meat in some old oil tanks on the side of the road.

If your options are limited to NY, a crime since NC is the best place on Earth, Brooks is the way to go.

Brooks' Original BBQ
Dude, you are one funny mo fo

Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 AM

When down South the first thing ya gotta do if you want good food is get away from all the Yankees. Yankees wouldn't know good food if it slapped them upside the head. Get out in the swamps for good food. Be careful they don't serve you gator though, it does not taste like chicken it tastes like gator.

As Upstate NY slowly gets dragged into the modern World and more people have traveled and tasted real food we are seeing more places that serve decent stuff. Got a few places here smoking meat in old tanks now. The tanks are new BTW its just a handy size to make a large scale smoker. If fact a place right in Wampsville is open for the Summer and I think I talked meself into some pulled pork for dinner!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
When down South the first thing ya gotta do if you want good food is get away from all the Yankees. Yankees wouldn't know good food if it slapped them upside the head. Get out in the swamps for good food. Be careful they don't serve you gator though, it does not taste like chicken it tastes like gator.

As Upstate NY slowly gets dragged into the modern World and more people have traveled and tasted real food we are seeing more places that serve decent stuff. Got a few places here smoking meat in old tanks now. The tanks are new BTW its just a handy size to make a large scale smoker. If fact a place right in Wampsville is open for the Summer and I think I talked meself into some pulled pork for dinner!!!
What you are talking about, Black folks around here have been doing this for years. Given that most either come directly from the South or have pretty recent roots there, you can find some good BBQ around here. You just have to know where to go. I don't know he if still does it, but J.D. Patterson used to have a stand at Thompson Road and Erie Boulevard East. He has or had a store on South Ave and may have a stand there.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:12 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
That's why I can no longer see myself moving to New England- I love it there, but the food in most areas suck. Except seafood, of course. Its that Yankee belief that food is only for sustainence, like English food thats horrible but makes you full. Used to love driving through the South to rural BBQ roadside pits, and rural Black folks and rednecks (and even Black rednecks) would be cooking that sh*t hardcore. Taking pride in their food and making fun of my Yankee a$$, all good natured. I love the culture. Glad to hear there's a little tiny slice of Appalachia and good old fashioned country folk up there (black or white, doesn't matter). I also love drive-in's, old car shows, muscle cars, Bluegrass music, rodeo's etc. Things uncommon in New England but still a cherished way of life as you travel south and west.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
That's why I can no longer see myself moving to New England- I love it there, but the food in most areas suck. Except seafood, of course. Its that Yankee belief that food is only for sustainence, like English food thats horrible but makes you full. Used to love driving through the South to rural BBQ roadside pits, and rural Black folks and rednecks (and even Black rednecks) would be cooking that sh*t hardcore. Taking pride in their food and making fun of my Yankee a$$, all good natured. I love the culture. Glad to hear there's a little tiny slice of Appalachia and good old fashioned country folk up there (black or white, doesn't matter). I also love drive-in's, old car shows, muscle cars, Bluegrass music, rodeo's etc. Things uncommon in New England but still a cherished way of life as you travel south and west.
Minus the rodeos, we have the other stuff in the area or close by. You would probably like the Syracuse Nationals: Syracuse Nationals

CNYBA Festivals

Drivin' To The Drive-In

I guess this could count for the rodeo fix: Attica Rodeo & Show Association

Championship Rodeo, Texas Style BBQ And More In Lake George, New York

Rodeoz | New York Rodeos - Search nearby rodeos, PRCA and PBR bull riding events and riding schools. New York

Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 PM

I didn't see any need to mention race but yeah, many Southern BBQers are black. Many of the best too. Segregation in Upstate NY is basically 100% or so. I have never seen a Southern black BBQ place up here and more then likely I never will. If I ever do see one you can make bank I'll be stopping.

And VS I agree Northerners don't like good food (in NY this is only true Upstate, NYC has everything under the Sun). But alot of it is we only get 2-3 months of decent weather so its tough for anyone serious about BBQ to make a living. So alot of its the year around outside living in the South that make the best.

For car shows its kinda boring up here. Most things rust out in just a couple years so only high dollar items are kept. I like the little impromptu car shows at flea markets and such in the South. I don't like seeing a row of muscle cars, I'd rather see a bunch of old cars that looks like a slice of life at a past time.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I didn't see any need to mention race but yeah, many Southern BBQers are black. Many of the best too. Segregation in Upstate NY is basically 100% or so. I have never seen a Southern black BBQ place up here and more then likely I never will. If I ever do see one you can make bank I'll be stopping.

And VS I agree Northerners don't like good food (in NY this is only true Upstate, NYC has everything under the Sun). But alot of it is we only get 2-3 months of decent weather so its tough for anyone serious about BBQ to make a living. So alot of its the year around outside living in the South that make the best.

For car shows its kinda boring up here. Most things rust out in just a couple years so only high dollar items are kept. I like the little impromptu car shows at flea markets and such in the South. I don't like seeing a row of muscle carshf, I'd rather see a bunch of old cars that looks like a slice of life at a past time.
Look at one of my earlier posts in regards to BBQ. I have to check to see if the business is still open or if there is a stand still around during the summer.

I don't see how segregation is 100% around here, BTW. Same with the Car Show
comments. Many people store their cars around here and bring them out for the Car
Shows.

P.S.-You could go here too: Facebook

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-03-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area