Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times

Advertisements

I look at the jobs & products surrounding me and I strongly believe that 50%+ of the American work force should be on welfare providing basic food, shelter etc. or means (like land etc.) to produce those for themselves. This way the next generations might leave our corpses in the ground instead of conducting mass public posthumous executions.

What OP doesn't want to realize that bottom of the wealth pyramid own virtually nothing, since bulk of the wealth is being sucked to the top. I don't know why it's so hard to check easily available statistical data showing that bottom 40% own 0.4% and earn 4% in income (+/-). If extraterrestrials will snatch 40% overnight, guess what, OP will have almost nothing to split with other "hardworking" Americans. Whatever public assistance $ thrown at the bottom 40% is immediately sucked to the top while providing many middle class jobs & upper class fortunes in the process. One of those jobs could be OP', even if he/she doesn't realize it.

OK, let's assume there are some jobless welfare schemers out there. OP solution? A ruggedly individualistic entrepreneur coming up with an utterly useless and/harmful (in the larger sense of the words) product, secures capital, build a plant/office, hires a PR expert to generate a want for that product. Voila, former welfare recipients are working, management is supervising, engineers are designing, builders are building, truckers are trucking, bankers are lending ... mountains of pollution & waste are being generated to produce a junk we don't really need to survive, frequently "the junk" sends us to earlier grave. Everybody is "making his/her living", everybody even folks at Heritage foundation and OP is happy. Everybody, really? What about your kids & their unborn kids, are they happy you are such a straight arrow antiwelfare, free market kinda guy? I seriously doubt that.

Besides it takes a critical mass of dependent & easily manipulated automatons thoroughly devoid of autonomous inner life etc. to keep such an economy going. Automatons don't just hatch in the womb, they need to be raised & properly conditioned. Here we go, there are excellent career opportunities for ya in media, public education, marketing, entertainment & public safety. Everybody is working, everybody earns his living

I recollect Bush II giving some kind of a reward to a "Latina" woman who advanced from welfare to jump starting her $1,000,000 business on the wave of post 911 patriotic frenzy (there is strong thirsts for rag to riches stories out there). Her business? Patriotically schemed cell phone covers. I believe from a standpoint of future generations or ours for that matter, it's much more patriotic & sensible to provide a Latina woman and her 5+ employee with life time welfare.

The problem is that as wealth concentrates & productivity grows, (employed) wage slaving masses are squeezed into unessential/silly or fraudulent (to different extent) industries & services, private & government. Most of wage slaves, ahh, hard working Americans do not share directly fruits of the productivity growth (just a kick in a butt) and marginalized by wealth concentration. Since the cow creating this state of affairs is sacred and cannot be kicked, there are two realistic alternatives more Waste&Pollution or Welfare. What would you pick?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:53 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
WE the taxpayers bailed-out these Corporation leeches
I'm just curious how the taxpayers who do NOT pay FULL price for their Imperial Federal & State governments (that's how FEDs are 12 trillions in the red) bailed out these Corporate leeches? Using what money? I'm just curious what you think about "mechanics" of salvation. Whatever bail out was, taxpayers had little to do with anything.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
You chose to take each of the stats by "Total" which really doesn't tell the whole story whereas if you just click the next tab to "per capita" it gives a much better idea of what is really going on in comparison to other states. NYS and California come out as number 1 and 2 under the "total" tab due to the simple fact that they have larger populations then most states but the "per capita" tells the real story because it shows how many people are on welfare for every 100 people.
Exactly!!! It's easy to have a high total when you are the third biggest state in population.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
I love how easy it is to get some people's panties in a bunch. If you saw what I see on a daily basis, you would be a little hardened too. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink no matter how hard you shove their head into the water. There are exceptions to every rule, many of these stereotypes exist for a reason.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I love how easy it is to get some people's panties in a bunch. If you saw what I see on a daily basis, you would be a little hardened too. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink no matter how hard you shove their head into the water. There are exceptions to every rule, many of these stereotypes exist for a reason.
This brushing off is a poor attempt at diminishing your callous judgement of an entire class of people. All stereotypes exist for a reason, obviously... what a non-statement. It is solely your own choice, and a reflection of your own character, to live by such stereotypes and reinforce them.

I still cannot believe that you judged a grocery store parking lot worth of people on payday.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
That's why they are called stereotypes, because they are the exception and not the rule. Besides, using the lame snow excuse to bring the issue up is kind of weak. Just get to the point, like you probably would on syracuse.com , where that is common.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
This brushing off is a poor attempt at diminishing your callous judgement of an entire class of people.
I am not brushing it off. I stand by what I said. I just say what many people think, but are afraid to say it because it is politically incorrect or because they will be seen as insensitive. I am a realist and that isn't just from a distance. I also volunteered at the OnCenter at Christmas to sign people up for the give away. There were people that touched my heart, but any good feeling I got by helping those few people was overshadowed by the greedy ones that just want free stuff. I have also done work with center that helps people work on their homes. I won't be doing that again either for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just get to the point, like you probably would on syracuse.com , where that is common.
I love the comments on Syracuse.com. It is the only entertaining part of that joke of a paper. The only stories worth reading are copied from the AP.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 AM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default WE the Taxpayers are Paying the bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I'm just curious how the taxpayers ........ bailed out these Corporate leeches? Using what money? Whatever bail out was, taxpayers had little to do with anything.
WITH BORROWED MONEY, as we all know! Taxpayers have a lot to do with the bail-out, WE-our children-our grandchildren-our great grandchildren-maybe children beyond that get to repay the bill. Yes, WE taxpayers have a lot to do with the bail-out!! "WE the taxpayers bailed-out these Corporation leeches"; regardless of who-the U.S. Government-borrowed the money from China and the Middle-East Oil nations, WE the taxpayers for several generations to come will be forced to repay the borrowing. SO, it is WE the taxpayers who bailed-out the Corporation leeches! That's right, and as usual WE had NO-SAY in the matter. We all know that Corporations are not going to repay anything towards the borrowing. The Millionaires-Billionaires are not going to pay anything toward repayment. Those catagories have endless tax loop-holes, dubious accounting practices, and tax-havens to hide their fortunes.

Just watch the news. There's MOUNTAINS OF MONEY available to give Millionaires/Billionaires tax reductions, MOUNTAINS OF MONEY to allow Corporations to pay Z-E-R-O taxes, MOUNTAINS OF MONEY to pay for infinite supplies of bombs-bullets-weapons to conduct endless wars, MOUNTAINS OF MONEY for our U.S. Government Leaders to "bribe"/"prop-up"/"pay-off" our dictator friends like Sadam Hussein-Iraq (our "friend" who our U.S. Government Leaders armed with all kinds of weapons), Hosni Mubarak-Egypt, Hamid Karzai-Afghanistan and other U.S. dictator friends until those dictators become publicly "INCONVENIENT" to be our friends; then our Leaders self-righteously "denounce" those dictators.

On the other hand, our U.S. Government has NO MONEY for Social programs (Social Security-medicare-healthcare) to benefit average middle-class and poverty class U.S. Citizens, NO MONEY to spend on infrastructure modernization, probably NO MONEY to make sure that our nuclear power plants are safe to operate, and etc. .. We've got to cut these programs that benefit average American citizens, otherwise how is the Government going to SHOWER MONEY on the Millionaires/Billionaires, SHOWER MONEY on our dictator friends, SHOWER MONEY on the Pentagon-Military-Industrial Corporations. How can the Corporations in concert with the military and the U.S. Government enslave the American citizenry unless Congress+President cut all citizen support programs, outlaw Unions, create long-term wide-spread unemployment, do away with minimum wage laws, make/made it legal for Corporations to "buy" our Government Congressional Members & the President, eliminate rules-regulations of Corporations, and on and on. I'd say that all these leeches are well on their way to enslaving the American people. Corporations and the very-wealthy are advancing their way down the road, one step at a time, with the ultimate goal of dictatorial rule of the whole world through MONEY HOARDING and MONEY MANIPULATION. Ordinary people, get ready to become Corporation owned destitute serfs, slaves, and peasants.

Last edited by grdnrman; 04-03-2011 at 01:25 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 AM

162 posts, read 274,296 times
Quote:
I am not brushing it off. I stand by what I said. I just say what many people think, but are afraid to say it because it is politically incorrect or because they will be seen as insensitive.
The only people that will stand by that statement, and, apparently, have done the volunteer work that you have done, are people that fail to think critically about the situation. It's a free country, say what you want, but there is no excuse to see what you say you have seen and believe that it is so easy to lead the life you lead or that believe that people should lead.

Are you a Christian man? Have you never heard the famous line in the hyme, "if today you hear God's voice, harden not your heart"?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post
It's a free country, say what you want, but there is no excuse to see what you say you have seen and believe that it is so easy to lead the life you lead or that believe that people should lead.
It isn't easy. It is a lot of hard work. Some are willing to put that hard work in and some are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post
Are you a Christian man? Have you never heard the famous line in the hyme, "if today you hear God's voice, harden not your heart"?
I am an atheist woman. I don't need a crutch when life gets hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area