Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Where does it place Syracuse on a greenest city list? This is the story I commented on having nothing to do with actual "OMG, we are so green!" If you look closer, this is not from THE EPA, it is from Region 2 (NJ, NY, PR, USVI). So, they should state that Syracuse is "greenest" in Region 2 and not the nation, if we want to be even a little factual.
I didn't say it was on a Top 10 list, I just posted the article. And YES it IS from the EPA - "The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today announced that Syracuse, New York has been chosen as one of 10 communities throughout the nation being recognized as a “Green Infrastructure Partner.”

There's 10 communities in the nation being recognized, NOT just in Region 2. In fact, I'm not seeing any reference to it just being Region 2 whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM

107 posts, read 219,475 times
Quote:
That is from 2008. But one list from 3 years ago is all I could find too. You would think a top 10 GREEN list would be a big deal.
Why does it matter that it's from 2008? The methodology for calculating the the greenest city doesn't look like it would have re-ranked Syracuse in any dramatically different position. It seems pretty obvious that you don't care about any evidence that is presented to you due to your pre-conceived cynical notions regarding anything that has to do with Syracuse.

The Top 25 Green Cities in the U.S. (http://greenologymagazine.com/blogs/entry/The-Top-25-Green-Cities-in-the-U-S-2010 - broken link)

There's one from 2010, Syracuse is in the same spot.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I didn't say it was on a Top 10 list
I thought that is what you were trying to say since I asked where this magic list was since I can't seem to find it and this is the link you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
There's 10 communities in the nation being recognized, NOT just in Region 2. In fact, I'm not seeing any reference to it just being Region 2 whatsoever.
At the bottom of the page, it says:
Follow EPA Region 2 on Twitter at http://twitter.com/eparegion2 and Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/eparegion2.

The link you gave is feed from all EPA regions combined into one list, and the contest was only open to Native American non -profit groups. So to win, you have to be a Native American non profit with a bunch of other qualifications. Syracuse didn't win squat, the Onondagas won.

Last edited by ToeJam; 04-22-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post
Why does it matter that it's from 2008? The methodology for calculating the the greenest city doesn't look like it would have re-ranked Syracuse in any dramatically different position. It seems pretty obvious that you don't care about any evidence that is presented to you due to your pre-conceived cynical notions regarding anything that has to do with Syracuse.

The Top 25 Green Cities in the U.S. (http://greenologymagazine.com/blogs/entry/The-Top-25-Green-Cities-in-the-U-S-2010 - broken link)

There's one from 2010, Syracuse is in the same spot.
You found two "sources"for this. If it is on the internet, it must be true.
From your last "source", a personal blog: "We asked cities with populations over 100,000 to complete our survey and, in combination with environmental data we gathered from government sources, scored cities on an eleven-point scale." The stats are based on a survey!

I am not seeing evidence. I am actually looking for evidence and can't find it. I don't just listen to the Sub-Standard and take their word for it. It isn't just Syracuse. Many cities claim these same titles and I can't find proof for any of these claims.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This isn't about taking the papers word for it, as multiple sources have been presented and you seem to forget that ESF is located here and plays a big part in "green" initiatives. That institution has been ranked highly by multiple publications as well. SUNY-ESF: SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This isn't about taking the papers word for it, as multiple sources have been presented and you seem to forget that ESF is located here and plays a big part in "green" initiatives. That institution has been ranked highly by multiple publications as well. SUNY-ESF: SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
You do realize that there are Environmental Science and Forestry schools all over the country, don't you? Here is a list of a few:
List of Top Forestry Science Schools and Colleges

Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times
Quote:
You do realize that there are Environmental Science and Forestry schools all over the country, don't you? Here is a list of a few:
List of Top Forestry Science Schools and Colleges
Given that that site heavily pushes University of Phoenix and things like that (scroll down your link and search their site) and doesn't even list, near as I can tell, 75% of the colleges in the state... not sure I'd use that sort of list for much of anything.

Actually, it doesn't seem to list anything that's not a major university in that category.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,035 times
Quote:
I thought that is what you were trying to say since I asked where this magic list was since I can't seem to find it and this is the link you posted.

At the bottom of the page, it says:
Follow EPA Region 2 on Twitter at http://twitter.com/eparegion2 and Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/eparegion2.

The link you gave is feed from all EPA regions combined into one list, and the contest was only open to Native American non -profit groups. So to win, you have to be a Native American non profit with a bunch of other qualifications. Syracuse didn't win squat, the Onondagas won.
The EPA release is from their Region 2 office, since that's where Syracuse/Onondaga County was.

And the Green Infrastructure Partner Community program has nothing to do with native american non profits.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
The EPA release is from their Region 2 office, since that's where Syracuse/Onondaga County was.
Yes, this is what I was getting at.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 AM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
SU Warehouse site of EPA announcement: Syracuse, Onondaga County named one of 10 top green communities in nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area