Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,065 times

Advertisements

Upcoming Syracuse area events -

September in Syracuse: A crowded calendar of food- and beer-themed events | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
These numbers are mind boggling to me. Does that mean more than 80% of people in Syracuse are living in poverty?

Syracuse students eat lunch for free this school year | syracuse.com
"Last school year 77.3 percent of the district’s students qualified for a free lunch. Another 7.82 percent qualified for a reduced-cost meal. "

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
These numbers are mind boggling to me. Does that mean more than 80% of people in Syracuse are living in poverty?

Syracuse students eat lunch for free this school year | syracuse.com
"Last school year 77.3 percent of the district’s students qualified for a free lunch. Another 7.82 percent qualified for a reduced-cost meal. "
No, because every household in Syracuse doesn't have children and not all of the children that live in the city of Syracuse go to Syracuse City Schools.

Also, the percentage of children in poverty will be higher, as many families will have more children than there are heads or in many cases a head of household. So, that's why the poverty rate is higher for children.

Then, there is the aspect of many children that may qualify, but do not take a free lunch or just bring it. Meaning, some may qualify and do not know, realize or take it.

This isn't just a Syracuse thing, as you see a similar pattern in other urban school districts across the country. Here's some information from an article about the Los Angeles Unified School District, as an example: Of the nearly 700,000 students enrolled in LAUSD, nearly 80 percent receive free or reduced price lunches. But parents have reported children coming home hungry because they won't try the new food. For many children, school breakfasts and lunches are the only meals they will have all day. More veggies, less fat: New LAUSD lunch menu leaving some kids cold - LA Daily News

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-07-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM

It looks like the Parade of homes starts tomorrow: HBA of Central New York

and the Irish Festival starts today: Syracuse Irish Festival - September 7-8, 2012 - Syracuse, NY

Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's some information from an article about the Los Angeles Unified School District, as an example: Of the nearly 700,000 students enrolled in LAUSD, nearly 80 percent receive free or reduced price lunches. But parents have reported children coming home hungry because they won't try the new food. For many children, school breakfasts and lunches are the only meals they will have all day. More veggies, less fat: New LAUSD lunch menu leaving some kids cold - LA Daily News
I expect high number in LA due to illegal immigrants with no reported income and those who are afraid to claim free lunch out of fear of being deported. It really is a different world over there.

I know that this exist in many places, but I guess I just never knew the numbers were so high.

As for the kids not liking the food, I guess they really aren't all that hungry. They can't afford to complain about what they get for free. I would feel much better about the free lunches if they were real food with actual nutrition involved.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I expect high number in LA due to illegal immigrants with no reported income and those who are afraid to claim free lunch out of fear of being deported. It really is a different world over there.

I know that this exist in many places, but I guess I just never knew the numbers were so high.

As for the kids not liking the food, I guess they really aren't all that hungry. They can't afford to complain about what they get for free. I would feel much better about the free lunches if they were real food with actual nutrition involved.
Yeah, I wonder about the nutritious value of the food, as the quality may be lacking.

With Syracuse, a part of it is due to immigration and refugees. Some of it is due to single parent homes. Some of it is due to layoffs/factory closings and the economy, as even solid households have been using food stamps in recent years. So, it is a complex issue.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-07-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 03:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,618,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I wonder about the nutritious value of the food, as the quality may be lacking.

With Syracuse, a part of it is due to immigration and refugees. Some of it is due to single parent homes. Some of it is due to layoffs/factory closings and the economy, as even solid households have been using food stamps in recent years. So, it is a complex issue.
The latter point about factory closings impacting the number of students eligible for free lunch is very true and rarely reported. It is nearly impossible to have a school district with average or even marginal academic performance when 80% of the students are receiving subsidized lunch. The shockingly high number of single parent households and children being raised by grandparents as well as families in multi-generational poverty with little incentive to change their behavior due to overly generous benefits provided by NYS that go far beyond what is mandated by the Federal Government is probably the largest factor. I do think, however, the steady loss of good paying manufacturing jobs over the past decade or so has impacted the percentage of students receiving free lunch. This is not restricted to the city by any stretch as other school districts with a high concentration of manfacturers and current/former industrial workers like East Syracuse-Minoa and Solvay have experienced increases as have many other communities.

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution as New York state is viewed as very hostile toward manufacturers and the region's high utility and unionization rates are more than enough to drive out remaining businesses let alone discourge any new companies from establishing operations. Further complicating matters is the United States is not competitive with many of the third and even second world nations that now produce the bulk of durable goods. Some may argue that is a good thing, since American wages would need to be lowered to a couple of dollars and hour at the very least in order to be even remotely competitive with overseas locations which would not be in our nation's best interest. Sadly, I think 7% and 8% unemployment rates and a large number of well skilled and educated workers that are undermployed will be the new normal for at least the next few years.

It's very sad to see how the manufacturing sector has diminished. For many communities, it was a sign of immense civic pride to make a product that was universally recognized and viewed as superior or of high quality. Marsellus Casket, Syracuse China, Learbury, Kodak, Smith Corona, Nettleton Shoes, Oneida LTD, and many others come to mind. Globalization and the passage of the North American Free Trade Act (NAFTA) in the early 1990s has been viewed as a good thing in various circles, however many American workers and the communities that have been left behind with shuttered factories, rising unemployment rates, population losses, and sharply rising costs to support an ever-growing social safety net and much needed job training would beg to differ.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 09-07-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Unfortunately, there is no easy solution as New York state is viewed as very hostile toward manufacturers and the region's high utility and unionization rates are more than enough to drive out remaining businesses let alone discourge any new companies from establishing operations. Further complicating matters is the United States is not competitive with many of the third and even second world nations that now produce the bulk of durable goods. Some may argue that is a good thing, since American wages would need to be lowered to a couple of dollars and hour at the very least in order to be even remotely competitive with overseas locations which would not be in our nation's best interest. Sadly, I think 7% and 8% unemployment rates and a large number of well skilled and educated workers that are undermployed will be the new normal for at least the next few years.

It's very sad to see how the manufacturing sector has diminished. For many communities, it was a sign of immense civic pride to make a product that was universally recognized and viewed as superior or of high quality. Marsellus Casket, Syracuse China, Learbury, Kodak, Smith Corona, Nettleton Shoes, Oneida LTD, and many others come to mind. Globalization and the passage of the North American Free Trade Act (NAFTA) in the early 1990s has been viewed as a good thing in various circles, however many American workers and the communities that have been left behind with shuttered factories, rising unemployment rates, population losses, and sharply rising costs to support an ever-growing social safety net and much needed job training would beg to differ.
Yes!
To add to that, there are many policies placed to protect the little guy, but the only result is a loophole for the rich to get richer. Yes, children are getting fed, but the corporations that provide these "free" lunches are getting richer. They don't care how many kids they can feed, they care about making a profit. they are in the back pocket of politicians who help make these decisions.
If you haven't already, you should watch "Supersize Me". The problem is so much bigger than providing lunch for school children and cheap meals for the poor.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Yes!
To add to that, there are many policies placed to protect the little guy, but the only result is a loophole for the rich to get richer. Yes, children are getting fed, but the corporations that provide these "free" lunches are getting richer. They don't care how many kids they can feed, they care about making a profit. they are in the back pocket of politicians who help make these decisions.
If you haven't already, you should watch "Supersize Me". The problem is so much bigger than providing lunch for school children and cheap meals for the poor.
You can add the prison industry as well and isn't it interesting how all of this goes hand and hand with each other. So, there is a political aspect to a lot of this.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Jewish Musical and Cultural Festival is tomorrow: Jewish Musical & Cultural Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area