Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times

Advertisements

The programs set up to help minority groups are doing more harm than good and end up spending more of our tax dollars in order to meet goals rather than getting the best prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 AM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
The programs set up to help minority groups are doing more harm than good and end up spending more of our tax dollars in order to meet goals rather than getting the best prices.
Perhaps, but it also could make tax payers spend more of their dollars in others ways, if you get what I mean. So, you may be transferring that money from that program to some other program, as more people become shut out form obtaining such projects/grants, etc.

On top of this, the irony is that the people that may be outspoken against may actually still benefit from it the most due to the example I gave. Or at least they can or could benefit the most from it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-21-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
I would agree if there wasn't such a high rate of abuse to the program. I think it is also a step backwards for minorities groups because it forces the people issuing contract to see them and treat them as different. It is far from equal treatment, but the intent was there when the program was set up.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I would agree if there wasn't such a high rate of abuse to the program. I think it is also a step backwards for minorities groups because it forces the people issuing contract to see them and treat them as different. It is far from equal treatment, but the intent was there when the program was set up.
To be honest, I think those people would do that anyway. You just have to produce, execute and keep it moving, as the kids would say.

I'm sure there is abuse to it, like any other system that has been created by mankind and a little tweaking wouldn't necessarily hurt.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times
I get an earful of this stuff every night myself.

Legit business's the state has been dealing with for years get thrown to the wolves to make room for "minority" owned groups.

Many get by putting things in the wife's name but damm if that's a business your family worked hard for generations you better trust your wife.

Alot of the stuff is really sub standard and at a higher cost as well.

Great game plan NY

Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM

I almost hate to give this one up but.............

Anyone looking for country living on 2 acres and is handy with fixing things and has a need or want for huge shop or whatever this place is in a zero crime area, 2 minutes off the thruway (exit 33).

http://www.dickstantonrealty.com/bin...346865440.html

Can't link right too it. Its Spring Rd Verona. Most of the houses there are over priced but this one looks good at 48K.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I get an earful of this stuff every night myself.

Legit business's the state has been dealing with for years get thrown to the wolves to make room for "minority" owned groups.

Many get by putting things in the wife's name but damm if that's a business your family worked hard for generations you better trust your wife.

Alot of the stuff is really sub standard and at a higher cost as well.

Great game plan NY
My point about putting about putting a business in in the name of a wife is that the wife may have little involvement in the business. Such topics can be a Catch 22 and. I've also heard about the difficulties of minority businesses getting contracts as well.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Who owns the business should not even be a factor.

Spec out whats needed, take bids from those who offer product that meets the spec at the lowest price.

The state most of all should be looking to save taxpayers dollars.

Lets say I need some wood. This guy has what I need at a great price. But he's white. The sawmill up the road has crap wood at twice the price but its owned by a black lesbian.

Seriously in there private lives would anyone buy from the second mill?? Do people hate white men that much?? Just seems like such common sense to be to get the best product at the best price and who gives a crap about about the mill owner.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Who owns the business should not even be a factor.

Spec out whats needed, take bids from those who offer product that meets the spec at the lowest price.

The state most of all should be looking to save taxpayers dollars.

Lets say I need some wood. This guy has what I need at a great price. But he's white. The sawmill up the road has crap wood at twice the price but its owned by a black lesbian.

Seriously in there private lives would anyone buy from the second mill?? Do people hate white men that much?? Just seems like such common sense to be to get the best product at the best price and who gives a crap about about the mill owner.
It isn't about private lives. My point is basically that any business can be viewed as a minority business, if you know how to work the system. It isn't just about race, but gender plays a big, if not bigger part in this.

If the lowest or cheapest price tag is the best, then great, but that isn't necessarily the case.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't about private lives. My point is basically that any business can be viewed as a minority business, if you know how to work the system. It isn't just about race, but gender plays a big, if not bigger part in this.

If the lowest or cheapest price tag is the best, then great, but that isn't necessarily the case.
In my experience, I've seen a lot of white males with service businesses (ie contracting, HVAC, electrical) use their white wives as owners so it meets the coveted MWBE designation. There is no shortage of people, regardless of race, sex, or military affiliation that are gaming the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area