Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,794,845 times

Advertisements

6404 Island Ford Dr Raleigh NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1837809 - Realtor.com®

3492 Mackinac Island Ln Raleigh NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1864440 - Realtor.com®

113 Lemon Drop Cir Apex NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1863775 - Realtor.com®

12929 Bold Run Hill Rd Wake Forest NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1857955 - Realtor.com®

1338 Cedar Branch Ct Wake Forest NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1868173 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM

1. Decent

2. Much older, dated. Look at those taxes.

3. No way

4. No way

5. Not seeing it, personally. Weird house. Taxes over $6k.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times
The last house on that list is sure. Lot of modern feature.

How do they do taxes down there?? Is the number listed the total or just city/county?? Cause the number listed is less then just my city taxes on a house worth less then half. And I still got the monster of school taxes yet.

If that's just city the rate us a little better double. If that's the total then oh boy am I getting the shaft in NY.

But at least I get absolutely nothing in return for my taxes. Garbage is a seperater bill. Water is a seperater and very high bill. I do have to admitt I get a useless police force and poorly maintained roads and a terrible school.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Typing from a phone is tricky

Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM

The last house is nice, real nice on the outside. Inside is pretty dated. Taxes are $5800.

Taxes in NC, Sean, are listed in total under real estate taxes. That's it. Some are under $1000/year. You might be paying 5x that if your house is worth 2x what is shown here. There is a car tax too, but its pretty low unless you have a brand new car. Car insurance is way less in the suburbs (unless you live in downtown Raleigh or Durham), and like I stated, health insurance was a big issue for me. I'm self insured for my 1099 work. I can't for the life of me understand why it costs 3x more in NY as NJ or NC. Really pi$$ed me off. Enough to reconsider NY (are you listening, Cuomo??)

Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
1. Decent

2. Much older, dated. Look at those taxes.

3. No way

4. No way

5. Not seeing it, personally. Weird house. Taxes over $6k.
For the last one, it has cheap electric and may make up for that. That is before any exemptions. All of the Syracuse area homes had decent to big yards and were at least 2000 square feet, except for the late additions. You also know what schools your children would attend as well.

As for the Raleigh homes, it seems like big homes with very small lots or small/smaller homes with decent to 2 acre lots.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Price report for the day just on some daily things I noted.

Gas is 3.15 in Florida.

Milk is 3.09 a gallon.

Ice cream is hard to compare because down its Blue Bell all the way and we can't even get it. But it's 7.00 for a half gallon(full) and was BOGO at Sweet Bay. I wish I could bring a 100 gallons home. It's sooooooo good.

Name brand smokes are 5 bucks per pack at a gas station. Prolly can do better but I don't know how.

I bought some booze for gifts at Publix and I won't tell what I paid cause if any of you drink you'd cry yourselves to sleep knowing how much cheaper it is.

Nothing costs more. Some things cost less. Some a lot less. Most is about the same as Walmart is national and every bodies biggest competitor.

Sometimes I hear things cost more but I never see that.

Places to eat are beyond belief. Not everywhere but I am in a very large metro area. Many chains, I can name prolly a couple dozen not in NY. But also many local places. Today I ate at a polish place where the owner and all the help is from Poland. I love that place. There is good and bad of large metros. Good food would be a good thing. The bad would be one word. Traffic. To get the simplest things you have to plan time of day, day of week and number of stop lights.

One thing that's interesting to watch is my 17 daughter drives now. We let her do a lot of long distance driving and she was great. So I let her do some of the high traffic stuff. I had concerns but no place in NY has anything even close to this so I just had to through her to the wolves. Well she is eating it up. At least half the grown men I know would panic and start crying for there mommies but this little girl wades right it. I'm betting after this weekend the little hick towns upstate ain't gonna do it for that kid anymore.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The last house on that list is sure. Lot of modern feature.

How do they do taxes down there?? Is the number listed the total or just city/county?? Cause the number listed is less then just my city taxes on a house worth less then half. And I still got the monster of school taxes yet.

If that's just city the rate us a little better double. If that's the total then oh boy am I getting the shaft in NY.

But at least I get absolutely nothing in return for my taxes. Garbage is a seperater bill. Water is a seperater and very high bill. I do have to admitt I get a useless police force and poorly maintained roads and a terrible school.
What I can't understand is how NC takes care of its citizens at literally 1/5 the property tax rate. Not a few dollars less, but $1000 vs $5000. Its mind boggling how NYS charges 5x what NC does, and you don't even get garbage pickup, water, and the roads are bad. Where the f**k is the money going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For the last one, it has cheap electric and may make up for that. That is before any exemptions. All of the Syracuse area homes had decent to big yards and were at least 2000 square feet, except for the late additions. You also know what schools your children would attend as well.

As for the Raleigh homes, it seems like big homes with very small lots or small/smaller homes with decent to 2 acre lots.
Seems to be a lot of larger lots in the far flung burbs, 27587 and 27615. Whats also interesting is that NC average electric rate is 9 Cents KWH and NY is 17 Cents. So, that has to be factored too as a savings factor. I do know that Solvay has low electric rates, but thats a small area.

Electricity Prices by State | Compare Electric Rates by state in Your Area Nation wide

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Typing from a phone is tricky
Try Swype, its fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area