Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Becca,
Your prayers have been answered. According to Bob Niedt's retail column in the newspaper, Crate & Barrel will be opening a store in the Syracuse area in the "near future."

Update: Just checked their website saw the have outlet locations. My guess is they'll probably open a shoebox sized store with junk at Carousel's basement area
I was about to jump up and down until I read your update! Well regardless, if there's a Crate and Barrel big or small, I WILL be shopping there! I could spend hours in that store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,864,912 times
Quote:
Becca,
Your prayers have been answered. According to Bob Niedt's retail column in the newspaper, Crate & Barrel will be opening a store in the Syracuse area in the "near future."

Update: Just checked their website saw the have outlet locations. My guess is they'll probably open a shoebox sized store with junk at Carousel's basement area
great information, but was your last comment necessary? (see bold)

Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
I am trying to find out where it will be located. I did hear the opening got pushed until Monday.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
great information, but was your last comment necessary? (see bold)
In short answer: No. It wasn't necessary but my prediction is within the realm of possibility given the cheap design, tacky layout, and existing cluster of outlets in the expansion. I really wanted to see Carousel become an attractive property with upscale retailers as originally touted. Despite it's prison-like exterior and the announcement of mostly lackluster tenants that each take up rather large blocks of empty space which substantially reduces the vacancy rate, I visited the mall last weekend and was even more discusted with its appearance. The ceiling on the second floor in the older portion of the mall by Lord & Taylor has many burned out light bulbs and stores that have long departed including Henry Wilson Jewelers are filled with pop-up stores selling junk like used computer games.

The basement level of the "new" section looks like the old part of the United Airlines terminal at O'Hare with low slung ceilings, dark lighting, and brown/orange painted walls. In all honesty, the place looks like a dump. The Sak's Off 5th store was actually pretty nice and slightly larger than some of the other outlets in places like Paramus, NJ and Central Valley, NY. I also liked the Hickey Freeman outlet store especially since the company traces its roots to nearby Rochester. It's unfortunate that both of these stores are located in a dark and dingy area. I understand not all of the stores are built out yet, but by any objective measure it's hard not to conclude this whole project was done on the cheap.

Former Newhouse Dean David Rubin provided a very similiar review of his visit to the mall before Christmas. While I rarely agree with his commentary and thought his review of the mall was rather harsh, I have to admit I'm in full agreement. The expansion looks like an underground 1980s movie arcade with a couple of decent chain restaurants.

Regional malls in Albany and Rochester have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Quote:
In short answer: No. It wasn't necessary but my prediction is within the realm of possibility given the cheap design, tacky layout, and existing cluster of outlets in the expansion. I really wanted to see Carousel become an attractive property with upscale retailers as originally touted. Despite it's prison-like exterior and the announcement of mostly lackluster tenants that each take up rather large blocks of empty space which substantially reduces the vacancy rate, I visited the mall last weekend and was even more discusted with its appearance. The ceiling on the second floor in the older portion of the mall by Lord & Taylor has many burned out light bulbs and stores that have long departed including Henry Wilson Jewelers are filled with pop-up stores selling junk like used computer games.

The basement level of the "new" section looks like the old part of the United Airlines terminal at O'Hare with low slung ceilings, dark lighting, and brown/orange painted walls. In all honesty, the place looks like a dump. The Sak's Off 5th store was actually pretty nice and slightly larger than some of the other outlets in places like Paramus, NJ and Central Valley, NY. I also liked the Hickey Freeman outlet store especially since the company traces its roots to nearby Rochester. It's unfortunate that both of these stores are located in a dark and dingy area. I understand not all of the stores are built out yet, but by any objective measure it's hard not to conclude this whole project was done on the cheap.

Former Newhouse Dean David Rubin provided a very similiar review of his visit to the mall before Christmas. While I rarely agree with his commentary and thought his review of the mall was rather harsh, I have to admit I'm in full agreement. The expansion looks like an underground 1980s movie arcade with a couple of decent chain restaurants.

Regional malls in Albany and Rochester have absolutely nothing to worry about.
+1

I'm glad its you posting this. I'd get ripped to pieces.

I'm not a mall person so I just assumed its was just another mall. Then I started hearing that it was,ah, less then perfect.

So last Friday I did the tour. Top to bottom, left to right. That mall is the pride of Syracuse so even I, who seems without innerweb fear, knew better then to say anything about what I thought of it.

The only thing I will risk saying is that go cart track seems very large so rent must be crazy cheap.

Last edited by Sean®; 02-01-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cool.....Where is it located?
So when people say a store is in the mall, I assume they mean Destiny. Turns out the store is at Shoppingtown next to Hollister. Do people even go to Shoppingtown anymore?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
So when people say a store is in the mall, I assume they mean Destiny. Turns out the store is at Shoppingtown next to Hollister. Do people even go to Shoppingtown anymore?
Some do, but it isn't like it used to be. I think since many of the stores left Shoppingtown and went into the newer part of Marshalls Plaza, many people shop there.

As for Destiny, I'm not into mall asthetics, but I don't think anyone would care about the commentary in regard to the look of the mall, good or bad. Personally, I hardly ever go there, to be honest.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I thought I remembered something about that (it had opened temporarily during the holiday season). For things that I can do there, I still prefer going there - closer, and far, far more manageable. (That, and it's down the street from my house... so convenient, to boot)

Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Back at the phamacy, joys of a NY winter but not me.

It's hydros not oxy.

No refills may fill hospitals up rather then empty them.

I guess time will tell.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
If you are looking for something to do during the winter, here is a pretty good list: Frosty Festivities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area