Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I had to purchase a pastry item on Sunday and didn't realize the store in DeWitt wasn't set to open until 11 am. I had about 45 minutes to wait so I drove around the east side of the city as well the Connective Corridor and downtown areas. On Saturday night, the eastern suburbs and eastern quadrant of the city received around 2 to 4 inches of snow. The side streets in the residential neighborhoods of DeWitt and Fayetteville were in pretty good shape, however once I hit the city limits, all roads except East Genesee Street were snow covered. Other well traveled roads including a stretch of Euclid Avenue above Nottingham High School and Kimber Road had barely been plowed. The winding roads in the city's upscale Bradford Hills and Scottholm areas where homes generally sell between $150,000 and $400,000 hadn't been plowed at all and were covered with at least 3 inches of snow. Is this typical? I assume the need to remove snow is less urgent when most people don't work and school is not in session like Saturday's, Sunday's, and during holidays, however I was surprised that a large swath of the city's east side hadn't been touched by 10:45 am, more than five hours after the snow stopped falling. This wasn't just limited to Bradford Hills, but other east side streets like Demong Drive and Doll Parkway near Le Moyne College.

I wonder if the city is cutting back on snow removal due to budgetary problems? To be fair, the roads in Fayetteville and DeWitt were not plowed at all on Christmas night (or the night after) despite considerable snow. Once I hit the city limits, they were fine.
I don't know, but I have heard people saying that the city doesn't plow as good as they used to. I don't know if that is due to the way the snowfall has accumulated or what, but you are not the first person to notice this. I've noticed at times that hills seem to be cleared well, but side streets seem to be done later during my commute to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
Friday was pretty bad in the city. The main roads were bad, but the side streets were impossible to get down. Driving from Seneca Turnpike and going down Brighton at noon and there was a single side street that was clear. The sidewalks hadn't been cleared so people are walking in the street. I am surprised there weren't more issues.

My plow guy finally showed up today?!? There was no snow, but the drifts were pretty high.We have run out of places to put the snow, so there is just a big mountain on the lawn.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM

South Side food co-op to reopen | The Daily Orange

Learning Community:

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
The United Steelworkers is trying to unionize the Novelis plant in Oswego County. After investing hundreds of millions of dollars to expand and upgrade the facility and hiring hundreds of well paid employees, the company - which can do business anywhere in the world - is now going to be faced with some tough decisions. It's no coincidence that nearly all of the new manufacturing plants and large business operations are establishing new facilities in the South where unionization rates are low. Workers at the new Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga recently voted against joining the UAW, one of America's most virulent unions. The Steelworkers union is also notorious for being very aggressive, politically active and militant. Rank and file workers need to realize that these unions have no interest in attracting and retaining business in the area, ensuring the future of their employer, working with management in good faith or persevering local jobs. If a business isn't unionized, in the minds of the large industrial unions it should exist and must be destroyed even if neighbors, relatives and friends are employed at these companies.

Businesses considering relocating to a new area are always concerned about union organizing activity and the concentration of unionized workers and companies. Syracuse and Central New York fail miserably in both areas and have one of the highest rates of private sector unionization in the U.S according to the website union stats. I'm not saying all unions are bad (some of the trades unions can be reasonable because they realize without further development they have no jobs) but the Steelworkers is known to be one of the more aggressive. The timing of this all out assault on this company is especially audacious on the part of the union. They conveniently wait until the company announces another $100 million expansion and promises 100s of new jobs and then they swoop in for the kill. Their argument on increasing healthcare costs is specious. The healthcare premiums for many employees are increasing. Some of the increase can be directly attributed to the Affordable Healthcare Act, something these politically active unions supported once several waivers were granted on their Cadillac style plans.

As long as the unions representing workers at existing Syracuse employers are reasonable and understand the challenges companies are facing, particularly in a state like New York, I don't object to their existence. Organizing attempts on new or expanding employers, however, will severely disadvantage CNY in competing for new businesses and retaining existing companies. Employers that operate non-union facilities in CNY and have choices of expanding operations at other plants in right-to-work states and/or business friendly areas will face considerable pressure to invest capital and resources elsewhere.

Novelis workers in Oswego County to vote on union representation - LocalSYR.com powered by NewsChannel 9 WSYR Syracuse

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 02-19-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The United Steelworkers is trying to unionize the Novelis plant in Oswego County. After investing hundreds of millions of dollars to expand and upgrade the facility and hiring hundreds of well paid employees, the company - which can do business anywhere in the world - is now going to be faced with some tough decisions. It's no coincidence that nearly all of the new manufacturing plants and large business operations are establishing new facilities in the South where unionization rates are low. Workers at the new Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga recently voted against joining the UAW, one of America's most virulent unions. The Steelworkers union is also notorious for being very aggressive, politically active and militant. Rank and file workers need to realize that these unions have no interest in attracting and retaining business in the area, ensuring the future of their employer, working with management in good faith or persevering local jobs. If a business isn't unionized, in the minds of the large industrial unions it should exist and must be destroyed even if neighbors, relatives and friends are employed at these companies.

Businesses considering relocating to a new area are always concerned about union organizing activity and the concentration of unionized workers and companies. Syracuse and Central New York fail miserably in both areas and have one of the highest rates of private sector unionization in the U.S according to the website union stats. I'm not saying all unions are bad (some of the trades unions can be reasonable because they realize without further development they have no jobs) but the Steelworkers is known to be one of the more aggressive. The timing of this all out assault on this company is especially audacious on the part of the union. They conveniently wait until the company announces another $100 million expansion and promises 100s of new jobs and then they swoop in for the kill. Their argument on increasing healthcare costs is specious. The healthcare premiums for many employees are increasing. Some of the increase can be directly attributed to the Affordable Healthcare Act, something these politically active unions supported once several waivers were granted on their Cadillac style plans.

As long as the unions representing workers at existing Syracuse employers are reasonable and understand the challenges companies are facing, particularly in a state like New York, I don't object to their existence. Organizing attempts on new or expanding employers, however, will severely disadvantage CNY in competing for new businesses and retaining existing companies. Employers that operate non-union facilities in CNY and have choices of expanding operations at other plants in right-to-work states and/or business friendly areas will face considerable pressure to invest capital and resources elsewhere.

Novelis workers in Oswego County to vote on union representation - LocalSYR.com powered by NewsChannel 9 WSYR Syracuse
Yes, it is a thin line in terms of union representation due to varying degrees of envolvement in the business, plant, etc. It will be interesting to see what will happen and if workers will find it necessary to have them around.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times
Don't give up on all New Yorkers. About ten years ago some of the lazy scrubs where I work tried getting a union in.

We had to go through all the NLRB crap. Union thugs tried all they could.

And we voted them away by huge numbers.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Don't give up on all New Yorkers. About ten years ago some of the lazy scrubs where I work tried getting a union in.

We had to go through all the NLRB crap. Union thugs tried all they could.

And we voted them away by huge numbers.
I hope the same happens at the Novelis plant. I find it amazing that after Novelis invests hundreds of millions of dollars, the tone of the USW representative (who looks like stupid thug) is combative and makes Novelis out to be the enemy. The plant manager is right, all bets are off and that plant can move anywhere in the world.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 02-19-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
Caz Limo calls it quits.

Caz Limo shuts down, citing 'financial situation' - LocalSYR.com powered by NewsChannel 9 WSYR Syracuse

Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I hope the same happens at the Novelis plant. I find it amazing that after Novelis invests hundreds of millions of dollars, the tone of the USW representative (who looks like stupid thug) is combative and makes Novelis out to be the enemy. The plant manager is right, all bets are off and that plant can move anywhere in the world.
According to WSYR-TV, a whopping 400 of the 600 factory workers supported a union vote. That would seem to indicate that more than 65% of workers support joining a union. Hopefully, some of those 400 votes were a result of peer pressure from the union thugs and colleagues who previously worked at other union shops like Budweiser, Birds Eye, NPG, Carrier, GE, Miller, Nestle, et all. One would think former union workers who have seen first hand the flight of jobs to right-to-work states would be wise enough to realize that voting to join a union will just repeat what has happened in Upstate New York for the past 40 years. Some of the most anti-union people are former union members who know first hand the damage these borderline criminal enterprises/ political machines have caused to countless communities and families in the rustbelt. In fairness, there are plenty of union members in Upstate New York who privately dislike their union, its management, and hate paying dues to fund the political activities, public threats and other nonsense but have little choice due to the way labor laws are structured in non right-to-work states.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM

A good example as to where some of the area's state aid should be going to: NY Times article calls attention to Syracuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area