Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times

Advertisements

Ain't nothing in the world make me slam on the brakes faster then a black man in the south smokin meat on the side of the road.

That may have been the best Q I ever had. I may have to post a lot cause I don't think I can move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:19 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Ain't nothing in the world make me slam on the brakes faster then a black man in the south smokin meat on the side of the road.

That may have been the best Q I ever had. I may have to post a lot cause I don't think I can move
Reminds me of when Mr. Patterson would set up his smoker on Erie Boulevard East near the corner of Thompson Road.

I have to see if some of the Soul Food spots will have some BBQ during the summer.

What did you get?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Full rack of ribs and chopped pork. Mac and cheese and chicken and rice.

My god that was good. Now for some blue bell ice cream.

Prices of housing are going up fast down here. In a lot of ways we may have missed the best times to buy last year.

Traffic, even on a Saturday, is blow my brains out bad.

They have a very busy bus system. It may be possible to fly out of Syracuse and have a good vacation without a car at all.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:56 PM

We did some shopping down here today. Both for our own needs and so my father could get some home cooked food. Plus home improvement supplies.

We shop mostly in a walmart super center and as luck would have it they just opened one up the road here. Also Lowes.

In general prices are exactly the same here. Milk and OJ are the same in NY and Florida. Everything else was the same here or very slightly less.

Sales tax is less but not a lot.

Gas is much cheaper.

Cigarettes are about half.

New cars are the same.

Used cars are the same but in far better condition.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Full rack of ribs and chopped pork. Mac and cheese and chicken and rice.

My god that was good. Now for some blue bell ice cream.

Prices of housing are going up fast down here. In a lot of ways we may have missed the best times to buy last year.

Traffic, even on a Saturday, is blow my brains out bad.

They have a very busy bus system. It may be possible to fly out of Syracuse and have a good vacation without a car at all.
That sounds like a good meal, man. I actually got some Dinosaur about 6 days ago and it was OK, but there was too much spice on everything. I think I'll stick to hole in the wall spots like Iola's Family Diner and a new place I found out about by name of Simone's for that down home type of food. I haven't been to Thomas' yet either. I know that Iola's and Simone's deliver as well.

If you are in Rochester again, I've heard good things about Unkl Moe's. Unkl Moe's - Rochester Wiki

Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 AM

I'm having trouble with my photobucket now so can't post the pics but I can text them to you but I'm gonna paint you a word picture of some real real BBQ.

First some details. The roads down here are in a super easy to learn grid. This one is one of the cross roads that have the business on them called Umberton Rd. Sorta like Erie Blvd but more stores, it goes on for miles and traffic is unlike anything in Upstate except possibly Niagara Falls blvd.

Sooooo……vacant lot in front of a church. Huge live oak tree loaded with Spanish moss. Underneath the tree sits a food trailer. It's a big one and it's been there so long the wheels have sunk to the axles. It's sunk so far you have to stoop over to order. The smoker is next to the trailer and it's huge and surrounded with chunks of cherry and pecan wood. The menu is hanging from cardboard written in marker.

Fed, stuffed really, the four of us and gave a pile of ribs and pork to the people next door. Total money in?? 38 bucks. Cash only if you catch what I mean. Try that at Dinosauer.

That's prolly 2 miles so not walking distance with hot food.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 AM

At a flea market now. Love this place. Like a fair but it never ends.

In NY we tell ourselves trucked in food is just as good as fresh. That bag of fresh picked strawberries I just aye tells a different story.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
The Tin Rooster at Turning stone is churning out some pretty tasty bbq and the portions are huge. They have a buffet on Sundays, but I haven't been yet. The ribs I had were cooked to perfection and the pulled pork was good. Most bbq sauce taste like pure sugar to me, so I was pretty happy with the light sauce and three different sauces on the table. I would say it is pretty similar to the Dino, but I will have to try more at the Tin Rooster before saying either is better than the other.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Video of the Week: In New York there are Six Nations Against Fracking – Not From Gasland Journal

Old 02-25-2014, 01:12 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Made me smile

Pharrell Williams - HAPPY (We are from SYRACUSE, NY) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area