Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps, but knowing the posters on a couple of the sites mentioned, trust me, it isn't surprising. This has been mentioned by other posters on here as well.
You mean most of the people are misinformed? How can so many people on syracuse.com also be exaggerating or lying? I mean, its not just one person changing their name, its a slew of people that seem to have very negative views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Well, I don't know the sources, as they are mostly people on here, and another forum that I can't mention here (its a competitor to this site) and locals who write on syracuse.com. I mean, its overwhelmingly negative, not just a few malcontents here or there.
Do not believe anything you read on Syracuse.com. So. Many. Trolls.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Just when I really want to rep you. lol

Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Becca, can hundreds of people all be trolls? The ratio of negative posts to positive posts is like 10:1 on that site. Also, its the town newspaper, I could see if it was a blog or something.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM

Does this help improve walkability in North Syracuse? North Syracuse police to crackdown on crosswalk safety | syracuse.com

Should similar measures be in place in other municipalities? There is actually a thread about this in the Urban Planning forum. What makes a place or space walkable?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,230 times
Quote:
Becca, can hundreds of people all be trolls? The ratio of negative posts to positive posts is like 10:1 on that site. Also, its the town newspaper, I could see if it was a blog or something.
YES. Not only are there a lot of negative comments on syracuse.com, but I wouldn't be surprised if their employees are some of the negative people on there to start fights and argue because it just means people will keep coming back to see if the other person has posted or if anyone else has posted. They get paid for page views, so they have to do anything they can to keep people coming back.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Every single Advance-run newspaper's site is plagued with this. But honestly I can think of few news sites where I'd take the opinions in the comment section without the world's largest grain of salt...

For a long while syracuse.com and other Advance sites encouraged having multiple accounts, which just encourages those trolling to reply-troll each other to give the illusion of support.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Every single Advance-run newspaper's site is plagued with this. But honestly I can think of few news sites where I'd take the opinions in the comment section without the world's largest grain of salt...

For a long while syracuse.com and other Advance sites encouraged having multiple accounts, which just encourages those trolling to reply-troll each other to give the illusion of support.
You beat me to it. I was going to add that many of the posters may be from these other markets doing the same thing on other related websites like al.com, pennlive.com, cleveland.com, si.com, etc.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
YES. Not only are there a lot of negative comments on syracuse.com, but I wouldn't be surprised if their employees are some of the negative people on there to start fights and argue because it just means people will keep coming back to see if the other person has posted or if anyone else has posted. They get paid for page views, so they have to do anything they can to keep people coming back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post

Ahhh. I didn't know that about multiple accounts.

To ToeJam's comments: I didn't know that either. I figured they got paid for advertisement clicks. Ok, I'm gullible. That's pretty pathetic if a newspaper website has to resort to this.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
lol looks like everyone else already addressed this but I wanted to add this - I would guess that probably close to half (or more) of the people posting on Syracuse.com do not live anywhere remotely near the Syracuse area nor have they ever (or ever had a desire to).

News Channel 9 used to allow comments on their site but they took that feature off because of all the trolling. You can comment on stories via their FB page, but that is easier reported to FB than dealing with 100's and 100's of trolls posting on the news website itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area