Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Looks like Manayunk is having some major flooding:
Manayunk Residents Frustrated, But Not Surprised By Dramatic Flooding « CBS Philly

If I had to live in the City of Philadelphia I would pick Rittenhouse Square. Absent that neighborhood or a newer apartment/condo tower nearby, I would live on the Main Line. Over the past few years, I have had the opportunity to explore the Delaware Valley for business and leisure. There are still large swaths of that city that are uninhabitable. Once forgotten areas like Northern Liberties have experienced revitalization, although it takes a special kind of person - most certainly of the urban pioneer variety - to want to live there.

North Philadelphia and parts of the Northeast are filled with abandoned row houses, gang infested streets, and warehouses. The stretch of I-95 from the Bucks County line to just north of Center City is a bombed out mess. I've never seen so many abandoned warehouses, chemical plants, and general blight. This area goes on for at least 10 miles along I-95 heading south.

After visiting places like New Hope and Doylestown as a child, I always thought Bucks County was solidly upper middle class, and while there are plenty of beautiful communities, Lower Bucks County is depressing. There is a declining post World War II suburban area that encompasses Penndel, Levittown, Langhorne, Neshaminy, Bensalem, and Bristol that looks like its in a time warp. Junky apartments, trailer parks, small homes with cars on cinderblocks, and half vacant strip shopping centers define that area as does an apparent lack of zoning. It's hard to understand some of the people because they slur so many of their words - think Clear Channel Philadelphia Total Traffic Reporter Lisa Tortella.

Philadelphia may be a major metro area, but this area looks like the outskirts of Cleveland or Buffalo. Delaware County is also hit and miss. The Brandywine Valley area around Chadds Ford is attractive. The newer development in Concordville along Baltimore Pike looked nice as well, however there are a lot of tired looking areas along City Line Avenue in Upper Darby, Drexel Hill and parts of Haverford.

For me, the sweet spot would be eastern Chester County or Western Montgomery just south of Lancaster Avenue (Route 30). Anywhere from say Berwyn at the very west end to Rosemont at the east. Points in between would include Devon, Villanova, Wayne, St. Davids, and Radnor. I wasn't particularly fond of the main drag in Ardmore along Route 30. Wynnewood had some beautiful Tudor homes, but I found the people in that immediate area to be very similar to Westchester, Long Island and Bergen County, NJ, very pushy and relatively new money. There is a lot of old money along the Mainline but you also get a lot of first generation semi-affluent types who grew up in very average and unremarkable places like Elkins Park, Ambler, Willow Grove and Narberth that feel they have something to prove and come across as very tacky.

The Great Valley area near Malverne is developing nicely. While the Wegman's in DeWitt is larger and slightly more upscale, the newly built Malverne Wegman's has a great restaurant area.

One thing about Philadelphia that stands out in a very positive way is the quality of the local broadcast and print media outlets. I really like WPVI Channel 6 Action News. The opening of each of their broadcasts contains a slice of life scene with quick videos of a diverse mix of people playing basketball, eating, bowling, shooting pool, running, and having a good time. The trademark "Action News" music and the old announcer's voice harkens back to the days of quality local news. At one time, station management tried to change the theme music to make it more modern and viewers protested until it was changed back. I think that says something about the Philadelphia area. Unlike Boston, Washington, D.C and New York City, and I would even argue Chicago, Philadelphia is more of a blue collar town. Yes, there is a tremendous amount of wealth just west of the city and many highly educated people working in biotechnology, engineering, financial services, and higher education, however people seem more conventional, less flashy and respect tradition. I'm not talking from a political context, but just the mentality "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

The quality of local radio stations can't be beat and is superior to any major city I have visited. As someone who likes hip hop and R&B, there is no need for satellite radio in Philadelphia when you can listen to Power 99, Hot 107.9, Wired 96.5 and WDAS 105.3.

In my opinion, Philadelphia can't hold a candle to Chicago in terms of a dynamic downtown environment and frontage on Lake Michigan. Despite its high cost of living and many nasty people, New York City offers more career opportunities than Philadelphia, even on a per capita basis. If someone wants a desirable suburban to raise a family that is steeped in history and is only considering the 10 largest metropolitan areas, Philadelphia is an excellent choice. It's also attractive for a single person with a limited housing budget (up to $1,200 in rent for a 1 bedroom) that wants to experience an urban living environment along the Bos-Wash corridor but can't afford Washington, D.C, New York, or Boston.
I found this while messing around on YouTube the other day:
WPVI-TV news opens - YouTube

Binghamton's WBNG had a very similar open for a long time:
WBNG Channel 12 Theme from 1989 Action News - YouTube

WTVH 5 used to have shots of scenes of the area in their open(1:50-2:15 or so):
WTVH Channel 5 News broadcast - 2/25/86 - Syracuse, NY - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Trust me, this isn't exclusive to NY or the occasional NYS trooper. Like I mentioned before, People with NY plates in some other states may have similar incidents. So, unfortunately, it can and has occurred in other states across the country.

Here's an interesting article from out West: License Plate Profiling: Colorado Drivers Pulled Over
Yes, unfortunately, our 4th amendment right to be secure in our persons and papers is being eroded nationwide. I felt like this stop in NY was particularly egregious. I have the right to travel unimpeded, and if you're going to entrap me by driving unsafely around my vehicle and endanger my life and the one in the car with me, I see it as nothing more than an act of desperation to get tax money.

To issue another ticket to me, instead of the one you are claiming to pull me over for is an act of corruption.

NY is a corrupt state and I got a taste of it. I don't believe that other states are as corrupt based on this never happening to me. I travel extensively in PA and CT, far more than NY and never had a problem. I hope this culture of corruption in NY gets fixed but I have a feeling its entrenched and not going anywhere.

As far as license plate scanners, Americans need to stand up against this and call it out as unconstitutional whenever it rears its head. Same for red light cameras, which have been shown to be actually more unsafe and are being removed in NJ.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yes, unfortunately, our 4th amendment right to be secure in our persons and papers is being eroded nationwide. I felt like this stop in NY was particularly egregious. I have the right to travel unimpeded, and if you're going to entrap me by driving unsafely around my vehicle and endanger my life and the one in the car with me, I see it as nothing more than an act of desperation to get tax money.

To issue another ticket to me, instead of the one you are claiming to pull me over for is an act of corruption.

NY is a corrupt state and I got a taste of it. I don't believe that other states are as corrupt based on this never happening to me. I travel extensively in PA and CT, far more than NY and never had a problem. I hope this culture of corruption in NY gets fixed but I have a feeling its entrenched and not going anywhere.

As far as license plate scanners, Americans need to stand up against this and call it out as unconstitutional whenever it rears its head. Same for red light cameras, which have been shown to be actually more unsafe and are being removed in NJ.
Well, just speaking specifically on these crazy traffic stops, I unfortunately think that some individuals in law enforcement are going to form some opinion they assume to be true like that article from out West shows. So, it could simply be just that, regardless of the reality or perception of the state and its government. It essentially could be viewed as a form of profiling and as we know, that can occur anywhere too.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, just speaking specifically on these crazy traffic stops, I unfortunately think that some individuals in law enforcement are going to form some opinion they assume to be true like that article from out West shows. So, it could simply be just that, regardless of the reality or perception of the state and its government. It essentially could be viewed as a form of profiling and as we know, that can occur anywhere too.
I understand and I agree with you, but I don't understand what opinion could be formed. I drive a Prius with no bumper stickers or tinted windows or anything flashy on the car (not that this should matter). You have a hard time just getting a Prius to 75 mph. Like I said, maybe I'm just venting but it really sours me on the state. Maybe NJ plates means $$? Then get the guy in the BMW who is actually speeding! Its too bad because I doubt I'll be coming up there for any reason anytime soon. I'm kinda done with it.

For the record too, lots of people pulled over for DWB. Just sayin'. Its not just me.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I understand and I agree with you, but I don't understand what opinion could be formed. I drive a Prius with no bumper stickers or tinted windows or anything flashy on the car (not that this should matter). You have a hard time just getting a Prius to 75 mph. Like I said, maybe I'm just venting but it really sours me on the state. Maybe NJ plates means $$? Then get the guy in the BMW who is actually speeding! Its too bad because I doubt I'll be coming up there for any reason anytime soon. I'm kinda done with it.

For the record too, lots of people pulled over for DWB. Just sayin'. Its not just me.
I think the NJ plates may have something to do with it. As mentioned before and as the article illustrated, having out of state plates can be enough for an officer to make an assumption.

Yes, DWB/H is an issue everywhere as well. Check out the lawsuit in Alamance County NC in regards to Hispanic/Latino drivers and allegations in regards to Black drivers in Durham County NC. I only picked those given your potential choice and how this isn't unique or exclusive to NY.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,846 times
Quote:

The state troopers are the worst. Most of them have serious anger management and control issues. The vast majority of them are uneducated and get their jollies by pulling over people who they would otherwise have no control of influence over. I've had to do the same thing as you did - speed up and move over to let the nasty jerks from NYC, Long Guyland and Westchestah pass. So far I haven't been pulled over. The Northway tends to have a lot of aggressive drivers, so that may explain the speed traps. I occasionally see the troopers on 87 between Kingston and Albany but usually not as dense as the situation you describe north of Albany. I end up hitting I-90 near Albany so I rarely go on the Northway. Last weekend was the KY derby and there may have been some events at Saratoga. Usually the western spur of the Thruway between Schenectady and Syracuse is rather tame in terms of speed traps.

I got a ticket from a trooper less than one mile from the NJ line in Chestnut Ridge, Rockland Co. I was heading to the Garden State pkwy when the jerk pulled me over. He had a very similar attitude as the cop you described.

I laugh at these stupid commercials Cuomo has spent millions on promoting tourism and hospitality. Until he is removed , I don't see anything in the state improving for the better.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 AM

Mayor Miner Says to NYSDOT, High Speed Rail Can Be an Economic Catalyst for Syracuse Region

Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
I must be an oddball - in the 4.5 years I lived in NY state, I never once got pulled over.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:24 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,909 times
I heard this morning that Blues Traveler will be playing at Taste of Syracuse. They put on a great show at Chevy Court a few years ago.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,425 times
I've been pulled over, many times, for speeding... almost all on Route 20 or 80. They usually let me go with a warning. 55mph on those hills is crazy. And all of them state troopers except for one, who was a Madison County Sheriff (who also let me go and said he liked my bumper stickers. lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area