U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,125,900 times

Advertisements

Sweet Basil Thai house has Facebook deals all the time. "Like" them and you can get discounts.

So is anyone even a little worried about Hurricane Irene? It looks like we might just get the tail end of it, but I am not sure what that means. Should I be doing something to get ready just in case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM

2,408 posts, read 2,140,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Sweet Basil Thai house has Facebook deals all the time. "Like" them and you can get discounts.

So is anyone even a little worried about Hurricane Irene? It looks like we might just get the tail end of it, but I am not sure what that means. Should I be doing something to get ready just in case?
I just Liked them the other day and saw all their posts about specials. Def have to keep my eye on that!

Since I lived in Florida, I've been through numerous hurricanes - and yes I was there the year we got slammed 4 times, which was also the year of Katrina (it passed over FL first before it hit NOLA). I doubt that we will be getting anything more than possibly some excessive rain. We're really too far inland for there to be much more of an impact. There may also be some high winds. Really, I wouldn't worry. We should start to see some rain later Sunday and into Monday.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM

2,622 posts, read 1,694,784 times
The only concern is flooding. Or I suppose a garbage can lid taking flight and decapitating someone.

The flooding this time of year concerns me cause the crick beds can be choked with weeds. I'm pretty sure its a non-issue.

The electric system in NY is really dated and winds used to knock the power out fairly often on the farm. We had tractor powered generators and you can bet a tractor would be hooked up just in case all weekend. Nearer the cities this is much less a problem.

It is worth noting its close to Labor Day. What was it like 12ish years ago we had the Labor Day micro-burst?? That was some crazy crap. Here in the city we had no power for afew days but I heard some rural areas were over a week.

I personally am not doing a thing. Whatever happens, happens. NY's natural disaster season starts in two months.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,125,900 times
I have a tree out front I wouldn't mind the wind taking down, but I am guessing the wind won't be that strong.
I need to fly in and out of JFK next week, so I hope there is no damage to the airport.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Wind never takes out what you want<sigh>

I would be ***STUNNED*** if JFK wasn't 100% next week.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Looks like my mom and stepdad are heading home a day early because of the storm. They were going to go home Sunday, but the storm will be moving up the coast as they're driving back to NJ. So they'll leave Saturday instead. I already talked to my clients in Cape May since the storm is heading straight for them. I think anyone on the coast has way more to worry about than we do. I think Syracuse should be fine. Here's what News Channel 9 posted earlier -

Hurricane warnings up along the entire North Carolina coastline. Still nearly a major hurricane when it hits the Outer banks (111 mph) Saturday afternoon. Hurricane watches now posted as far north as New York City. Central New York still on the western fringe of the storm. Have yet to see any computer model take Irene up over central New York. Expect some rain on Sunday with the heaviest ending up to our east near Albany and the Hudson Valley. Wind should be gusty more on par with our winds on Wednesday. Irene pulls into Canada Monday. Jim Teske

Old 08-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Except a crap ton of rain looks like we ducked it!!!!

Albany area took a beating by the looks. And the water flows into the Mohawk then to Albany so it could back up yet. I doubt it though.

Yeah us!!!

My sister in Seatlle asked me yesterday if I every get sick of the constant threat of storms in NY. And the Winter ones deliver. Yet she lives under the earthquake gun. I guess we all have our own comfort zone and it doesn't always make sense to others.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Add to my list of things I want from my new home state is not being prone to natural disasters!!!

This weather we have been having is unreal. I have never seen this much rain and I've been through many hurricanes. Everyone in my area except me and two other houses had to be evacuated by boat this morning. Roads are still closed, my street is like a lake.

A desert state is looking better and better to me every day.

Wanna throw out there I have heard the Binghamton area is getting flooded REAL bad. I do not pray but I may just for them poor folfs.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Sean - hate to tell you, but pretty much everywhere in the US is prone to some sort of weather and/or natural disasters - whether it be excessive rain, snow, ice storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, dust/sand storms, tsunamis, excessive heat, etc. I don't think there's any utopia.

Hope your house is ok though. The flooding is crazy. My grandparents are down in Binghamton and I'm trying to check in with them to see if they had to evacuate or anything - haven't heard anything as of yet.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM

686 posts, read 858,325 times
With only a few rare exceptions in a few isolated spots - Syracuse is not prone to flooding. As a matter of fact - apart from the big winter snowstorms - we seem to be pretty much excluded from the fires, droughts, floods, hurricanes and other natural disasters that occur in other communities - even ones as close as Oneida or Binghamton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area