Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I took bates ave in today. Several houses for sale and I couldn't remember what yours looked like. All are ok from the outside.

To somebody that liked fixing old houses and understands that they will never get there money back they could live ok.
That area looks fine. It is also close to shopping and you can walk to things. Oneida is not that bad and it is in the historically nicer area of town. It isn't inner city and any other poster can see that, as it is close to Genesee Street, which is on the edge of the inner and outer district of Oneida.

Looking at that Kearneysville house, it looks like it needs as much work, if not more than those Oneida homes. This is especially considering that it is within the sphere of influence of Washington DC and is a good drive from Winchester. In fact, it is a longer drive from there to Winchester than it is from Madison to Oneida by about 8 minutes, give or take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times
No winter means longer commutes

Rewiring a single story house is like shooting fish in a barrel. Multistory adds complexity to say the least.

Sheetrock is easy. Lath and plaster suck.

Dropping in a new heat pump is easy and cheap. Swapping out a boiler is fun fun fun. And mony mony.

1.4 acres is more then .19.

When one clicks you link the addy is Oneida/inner-city.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 AM

368 posts, read 830,877 times
ck-I understand your apprehension of driving 177, it does have its reputation for chewing up drivers and spitting them out.
Whatever way you go, be assured you will have a good time at the cheese festival.

Sean-Reading your posts I am certain you and your wife know exactly what you are looking for so I am wondering why you are "settling" for WVA or VA, I thought your dream area was in the Carolinas. If you are going to go through the hassle of moving out of state, why settle???

Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
Quote:
Not 100% my dream area but a easy transfer with no lose of service. In fact since I have worked for the company longer then that plant has been there I would be senior man on day one.

Compared to winter here it's a mere after thought there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
ck-I understand your apprehension of driving 177, it does have its reputation for chewing up drivers and spitting them out.
Whatever way you go, be assured you will have a good time at the cheese festival.

Sean-Reading your posts I am certain you and your wife know exactly what you are looking for so I am wondering why you are "settling" for WVA or VA, I thought your dream area was in the Carolinas. If you are going to go through the hassle of moving out of state, why settle???
I think he answered this. Keeping a job and being a senior guy is nothing to sneeze at these days. I'd probably settle too in a similar situation.

Sean- that house also has electric heat. You might pay more in heating that place in the mountains than a house with a Utica boiler from 1950; electric heat is awesome because its maintenance free but its soooo expensive.

Could probably add a pellet or propane stove though.

Have you looked into commuting times in a snowy, mountainous area? I'm only going off of how Harrisonburg was, which is even further south, but they don't clean anything there and its steep hills surrounding those valley towns.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No winter means longer commutes

Rewiring a single story house is like shooting fish in a barrel. Multistory adds complexity to say the least.

Sheetrock is easy. Lath and plaster suck.

Dropping in a new heat pump is easy and cheap. Swapping out a boiler is fun fun fun. And mony mony.

1.4 acres is more then .19.

When one clicks you link the addy is Oneida/inner-city.
There is actually a winter, as you would be in/around mountains and the Shenandoah Valley. I also wonder about snow removal as well.

That home in Oneida isn't in an inner city neighborhood.

Again, that home still needs plenty of work done, as it is being sold "As Is" for a reason.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post

I can imagine what 177 is like in the winter.

When is the Lewis County Fair?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Using normal four wheel drive trucks like I have my friends have no trouble get to work down there. Here it's a crap shoot at best. I suspect I would also have zero trouble.

House in WVA. 50k. For 50k and doing all the work myself including a real nice kitchen using cheap and easy to get hardwoods I think I could turn that house into something very nice. It would be a gut job and I would build it into a nice modern house that anyone at that price point would be pround to own.

So 50+50= 100 and I think I could sell it for 125k. Possibly more based on the kitchen but you guys don't know what I can do so it would be bragging.

House in Oneida is 75. To turn it into a nice modern house, while retaining the old woodwork, I think I could do for 75k if I didn't find any surprises. And these old house are full of surprises. It would be a complete gut job to get to the wiring,plumbing and add insluation. The lichen would have to be off the shelf boxes from Lowes with plain laminate counter tops to save money. Everything would be real nice but very basic. I didn't catch how the windows were. Very difficult to add AC with that heating system so that chases off the high end of the market. Huge project as lath and plaster sucks.

So 75+75=150. It's an old house in a old city that nobody wants to live in. It would be rock solid but no wow factor. I could maybe get 90 for it.

See those numbers don't work for me.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is actually a winter, as you would be in/around mountains and the Shenandoah Valley. I also wonder about snow removal as well.

That home in Oneida isn't in an inner city neighborhood.

Again, that home still needs plenty of work done, as it is being sold "As Is" for a reason.
This area is right near Winchester, on the WV side. It gets 180" of snow a year! Of course, its a mountain top, not in the valley but that's more than Lake Placid.

Spruce Knob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think he answered this. Keeping a job and being a senior guy is nothing to sneeze at these days. I'd probably settle too in a similar situation.

Sean- that house also has electric heat. You might pay more in heating that place in the mountains than a house with a Utica boiler from 1950; electric heat is awesome because its maintenance free but its soooo expensive.

Could probably add a pellet or propane stove though.

Have you looked into commuting times in a snowy, mountainous area? I'm only going off of how Harrisonburg was, which is even further south, but they don't clean anything there and its steep hills surrounding those valley towns.
Getting out of BY is worth a lot but getting out with a job and six weeks vaction is priceles

I would have to check the heat. Like everything else it has advantages and disadvantages. Also appears to have a fireplace so that could play in as well.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This area is right near Winchester, on the WV side. It gets 180" of snow a year! Of course, its a mountain top, not in the valley but that's more than Lake Placid.

Spruce Knob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting and so much for less snow.

Also, I'd say the Oneida is in better condition than the example from WV shown. So, there may be more out if pocket for the As Is home versus one that is liveable. Oneida did actually add people between 2000-2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area