Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 03:42 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
That new Runnings store in Rome is a must see for all straight males. Don't know a lot about it but near as I can tell its a small chain with at least Rochester and Rome. It's one stop shopping for men.
Quote:
Runnings started as an automotive supply store in December of 1947, when founder Norman A. “Red” Running opened his first store in Marshall, Minnesota. An advertisement was taken out in the Marshall newspaper to announce the prestigious event.

Today, Runnings operates over 30 retail stores throughout Minnesota, the Dakotas and Montana. We sell farm and livestock equipment and supplies, hunting and fishing equipment, housewares, automotive goods, plumbing, electrical, clothing, footwear, hardware, lawn and garden supplies, paint, pet supplies, sporting goods, and tools.

The Runnings team is now over 1,500 strong and still calls Marshall home to its corporate office and flagship store. The company has undergone incredible change over the years, but one thing that will not change is owner Dennis and Adele Reed’s commitment to serving our customers with quality merchandise at great prices and excellence in customer service.

We wish to thank all our customers for supporting us over the past 6 decades. We’re excited about the next 60 years of serving the needs of farmers, homeowners, ranchers and hobbyists throughout the upper Midwest.
Seems like a cool store. Similar to a Tractor Supply Co with other hardware store products like paint and sporting goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 04:34 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
Kinda like a TSC. And a Bass Pro. And a Lowes.

It's a huge store. It's in a former Home Depot location and it fills it no problem.

By far the largest Dewalt selection I have ever seen. Several times by far. Honestly until today I didn't know Dewalt made so much stuff and I'm a Dewalt fan boi.

Largest camo clothing display I have ever seen. This worked out well for me. I bought heavily. Part of my deal with my wife staying in NY is I am gonna wear camo everything. This is the camo capital of the universe and I had none. None at all. As of today I have gone native. I can now blend in with the Upstate NY herd.

Guns. Nuff said.

Way more stuff then I had time to see.

If you have ever heard of Menards is say they compare well.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:

It's a huge store. It's in a former Home Depot location and it fills it no problem.

By far the largest Dewalt selection I have ever seen. Several times by far. Honestly until today I didn't know Dewalt made so much stuff and I'm a Dewalt fan boi.

Largest camo clothing display I have ever seen. This worked out well for me. I bought heavily. Part of my deal with my wife staying in NY is I am gonna wear camo everything. This is the camo capital of the universe and I had none. None at all. As of today I have gone native. I can now blend in with the Upstate NY herd.

Guns. Nuff said.

There seems to be a little bit of Herb Philipson's, Dick's and Gander Mountain in there as well.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:00 PM

One of the houses you put a link to in Rome is near this place. Like walking distance.

I was thinking about how they compare to Menards and where they have stores. They do compete in areas that have Menards but not were they are strongest. It looks like they jumped right over Menards country right to NY. Might be a good move. NY and the whole east lack good shopping options and Menards didn't bust a move so maybe Runnings is giving it a go.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
One of the houses you put a link to in Rome is near this place. Like walking distance.

I was thinking about how they compare to Menards and where they have stores. They do compete in areas that have Menards but not were they are strongest. It looks like they jumped right over Menards country right to NY. Might be a good move. NY and the whole east lack good shopping options and Menards didn't bust a move so maybe Runnings is giving it a go.
Wait, the East lacks good shopping options in general or do you mean in terms of this niche?

Runnings and Menards kind of remind me of Meijer in relation to Wal*Mart, KMart, etc. Meijer is a Michigan based, Midwestern version of Wal*Mart. Menards is only behind the Home Depot and Lowe's in terms of home improvement store revenue.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:

Guns. Nuff said.

I used DeWalt for a while and then they lost my business when they shipped manufacturing overseas and to Mexico about 10 years ago. Now I heard they are bringing US manufacturing back, so I'm interested in them again.

I buy a lot of Craftsman hand tools as they're guaranteed for life (as long as Sears is around, anyway) and most are still made in the USA. Klein and Vaughn too.

Dewalt now seems to be the only manufacturer coming back to using US manufacturing.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Except radial arm saws before either of us were born Dewalt has never made tools in the US in any meaningful way. Routers from England and planers from Taiwan as so forth. They are bringing some work to the U.S. your right but I don't have a lot of details on what percentages.

I also have some Dewalt stuff made in Croatia and Slovakia.

Except Germany no place really has a strong tool manufacturing presence anymore.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 AM

More house hunting notes.

Realtors are flakey people. Moving forward gonna just call the name on the sign. Gonna be polite but short with them. More like combat then friendship building.

Our goal of a small ranch outside of towns is everyone else's dream also. Everything we DONT want in a house is cheap and plentiful. Everything we do want is somewhat rare and always expensive.

I am dropping my budget. To go all in the house has to be nearly perfect and what I'm seeing is houses needing work. I think I better be leaving a cushion.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
More house hunting notes.

Realtors are flakey people. Moving forward gonna just call the name on the sign. Gonna be polite but short with them. More like combat then friendship building.

Our goal of a small ranch outside of towns is everyone else's dream also. Everything we DONT want in a house is cheap and plentiful. Everything we do want is somewhat rare and always expensive.

I am dropping my budget. To go all in the house has to be nearly perfect and what I'm seeing is houses needing work. I think I better be leaving a cushion.
You may want to check this site out, as it allows you to search by the type of home: CNYHomes - Search Home Listings in Syracuse and Central New York

On another note in regards to housing, this is different and wonder what will happen going forward: Man rents home for $400 a night via online services; CNY town takes him to court | syracuse.com

Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 AM

I put exactly what I want within 25 miles.

No results found.

I've got a stack of houses that are perfect for us out of state we can afford. My wife is in charge of the NY hunt. She hasn't been able to find one yet. I keep saying if you can't even find one in NY and I'm finding dozens out of state maybe NY isn't affordable for us. But the hunt continues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area