Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times

Advertisements

I sure did. I'm to old to buy but I still like to shop.

That hotel was perfect. We where jokingly trying to find something we didn't like about it. Even as a joke we got nothing.

Room- perfect

Pool/hottub-perfect

Staff-perfect+++
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 07:14 PM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I sure did. I'm to old to buy but I still like to shop.

That hotel was perfect. We where jokingly trying to find something we didn't like about it. Even as a joke we got nothing.

Room- perfect

Pool/hottub-perfect

Staff-perfect+++
It could be because the hotel is essentially new. I believe that the Holiday Inn posted earlier is pretty new as well.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Available Articles | People news: Miner appoints Andrew Maxwell to lead Office of Innovation

More from the CNY Business Journal: Articles and Blogs

Old 03-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Took a real kick in the nutz last night. Houses in NY stay on the market forever, the one in question was 14 months. We went to see it last November and knew walking in it was the one. We've kept looking of coarse but everyday we rush home to see if the letter came and we can buy it.

We got word last night it sold. Super bummed out. I swear I could see every detail of how I would have set that place up.

Everything we are seeing in our price range is just garbage. Either bad area, bad roof, bad furnace, bad wiring or bad something. You don't start seeing small move in ready homes that don't need a diaper load of work until 130-150K for a 1000 ft home.

Back to working with the double wide people. 100K would get us a basic double wide on a basic piece of land. No shop of coarse so add that and some landscaping and low and behold we are back at the 150K but at least everything would be new.

If I was uber-rich this is what I would buy. This is where I'm from. Miller88 is either from here or his folks are.

https://utica.craigslist.org/reb/4925401741.html

Old 03-11-2015, 08:17 AM

865 posts, read 2,145,100 times
Would be nice - but a $200K house in Cedarville - wow! I haven't been over that way in ages. I think the last time I was there was for a wedding at the Litchfield town bar and we ended up going to Richfield Springs after.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 PM

You gotta get outta the hood more. That's what things cost around here.

Been on the phone with the trailer/ modular place this evening.

They have a nice small (tiny) modular on sale for 70k. So I ask about site prep. 70k with a crawl space or 85k with a basement. Plus the land. So about 150k for a two bedroom. Vastly more if the septic or we'll have trouble.

A basic stripped down double wide is 55k with sales tax. 30k site prep assuming no problems. Plus the land. So in theory if all went perfect a trailer could be put in for a 100 large. Over time I could build a shop and so on. I'd say under a 150k all in and I'd have a decent place. With out a lot of headaches.

Or buy a place for 100k and need to put 50k++++++ in it and have headaches aplenty.

Not really sure where I stand right this minute. Existing houses are cheaper but all we have seen are train wrecks. And while I can do the work I'm not sure I want to anymore. Do I wanna be up roofing at this point in my life?? And things I can't do myself like furnaces. The money is about the same if you do the work yourself. If your paying someone an older house won't work at all money wise.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 AM

Where does the money come from? The Mohawk Valley is way worse off than Syracuse ... and , even here, I'm astonished at where the money comes from to pay for some of these high end houses in developments.

When I see a $200K house pop up here, I don't think it will sell ... but someone does get it.

Even in Frankfort (where I grew up) - wow! Houses are a lot.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Where does the money come from? The Mohawk Valley is way worse off than Syracuse ... and , even here, I'm astonished at where the money comes from to pay for some of these high end houses in developments.

When I see a $200K house pop up here, I don't think it will sell ... but someone does get it.

Even in Frankfort (where I grew up) - wow! Houses are a lot.
Aren't there people that move out of nearby parts of Utica moving to the Frankfort-Schuyler area?

You get people that move up from areas with a higher COL and but some of those homes too. They be second homes as well.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Aren't there people that move out of nearby parts of Utica moving to the Frankfort-Schuyler area?

You get people that move up from areas with a higher COL and but some of those homes too. They be second homes as well.
Even in Utica there aren't any jobs either. There's, literally, zero industry in Utica. You have a choice of working at various retail establishments and that's about it. There's some hospitals and a few colleges and that is about it.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
Even in Utica there aren't any jobs either. There's, literally, zero industry in Utica. You have a choice of working at various retail establishments and that's about it. There's some hospitals and a few colleges and that is about it.
There's a few companies in the area at the Griffiss Business Park, as well as Revere Copper in Rome and ConMed on French Road, but the positions at those places are more specialized for those with skills and education in Math and Science. There may be some others, but those are the places that come to mind. There are some insurance companies and the Oneida Nation enterprises as well. Forgot about BNY/Mellon in Oriskany.

I was thinking of people that live in say South Utica or SE Utica around Parkway that may move into that area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-12-2015 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area