Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,794,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
An interesting article that was brought to my attention and I'm kind of torn due to the fact that these jobs are most likely going to go to those that immigrate with these jobs and won't be opened up to locals. It seems like a somewhat oddly worded article as well. It also would have been nice to mention some of the smaller companies that have had job growth as well.

Syracuse, New York bouncing back | New York Post
That's a backhanded compliment if I ever saw one. It calls the city an "industrial wasteland". While I'm not a huge fan of the city, even I think that seems a little harsh.

As far as any NY city besides NYC coming back, I'm not seeing it. A few call centers relocated from India back here means that the workers are working ALMOST as cheap as people from India. That's kinda sad.

JUst doesn't seem like much to get excited about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
I hope more comes out of this research: Available Articles | NIH awards Upstate Medical

Old 05-29-2015, 02:48 PM

I wonder what will come of this?: CNY Vision Miner Appoints New Office of Innovation Staff Members - CNY Vision

Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM

865 posts, read 2,145,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
That's a backhanded compliment if I ever saw one. It calls the city an "industrial wasteland". While I'm not a huge fan of the city, even I think that seems a little harsh.

As far as any NY city besides NYC coming back, I'm not seeing it. A few call centers relocated from India back here means that the workers are working ALMOST as cheap as people from India. That's kinda sad.

JUst doesn't seem like much to get excited about.

It seems that we're in the business of running real businesses out. TRW, New Process, remington ... all run out of the area in the quest to be "progressive"

The same people who think minimum wage should be $700.00 an hour at McDonalds, will NOT let a real business operate ... a real business that would pay their employees acceptable wages without being forced to.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
It seems that we're in the business of running real businesses out. TRW, New Process, remington ... all run out of the area in the quest to be "progressive"

The same people who think minimum wage should be $700.00 an hour at McDonalds, will NOT let a real business operate ... a real business that would pay their employees acceptable wages without being forced to.
I'm curious with Remington actually calling quite a few people back to work, if that will be temporary or a sign of a possible expansion.

As for the article, I'm curious as to the exact companies looking to possibly come to the area.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM

I didn't know: The Freethought Trail

Maybe if the site is slated for development, the Roselawn name could be used again.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I'm curious with Remington actually calling quite a few people back to work, if that will be temporary or a sign of a possible expansion.

As for the article, I'm curious as to the exact companies looking to possibly come to the area.
It's on the way out. They have already built the plant in Alabama. My guess is as that comes on line, the jobs will leave again. The demand jumped up higher than it already was and they needed the extra capacity in Ilion.

Fun fact: That plant has been running 100% since the current POTUS was elected.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
It's on the way out. They have already built the plant in Alabama. My guess is as that comes on line, the jobs will leave again. The demand jumped up higher than it already was and they needed the extra capacity in Ilion.

Fun fact: That plant has been running 100% since the current POTUS was elected.
So, Remington is basically going to contradict themselves, if they do that. Imagine that.....I believe that the Alabama plant is up and running already, but I'm not sure if it is at full capacity though.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Nice article and enthusiasm in regards to a plan in bringing commuter rail/OnTrack back to Syracuse: Seeing an old Syracuse rail service in a new way: Is there renewed hope for the Ontrack corridor? | syracuse.com

Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So, Remington is basically going to contradict themselves, if they do that. Imagine that.....I believe that the Alabama plant is up and running already, but I'm not sure if it is at full capacity though.
Cuomo has made it clear that he doesn't want their business there (and doesn't mind killing the Mohawk valley), NY is not business friendly - taxes and heating/cooling a 200 year old factory and they have to deal with a union. In Alabama, it is the complete opposite for those.

I believe they are paying *MORE* in Alabama, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area