Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Taxes are 8500 and its WAY under accessed. Could see the accessment going up 50% putting the taxes at 12K.

If I was gifted the house I'm not sure I could pay even just the taxes.
Oneida prides itself on keeping assessments at or near market value.

So if you pay X number of dollars for a house you feel its worth that much and can expect the city to agree with you.

Well, as long as the value is up. They never and by never I mean NEVER go down regardless of the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
Taxes are 8500 and its WAY under accessed. Could see the accessment going up 50% putting the taxes at 12K.

If I was gifted the house I'm not sure I could pay even just the taxes.
Yeah, I was kinda surprised by how low the taxes are, considering that homes I was looking at in the Rochester metro were $6-8k for under $200k.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yeah, I was kinda surprised by how low the taxes are, considering that homes I was looking at in the Rochester metro were $6-8k for under $200k.

Thats kinda the point where you gotta ask yourself "what exactly am I getting for 12K a year"??

Well water and sewer are a separate bill so its not that.

Garbage is a separate bill so its not that.

Snow removal?? Your just off a state highway that you've just paid state taxes on to be plowed . So did you really pay 12 grand to be able to a 200 feet of plowed road a few times a year??

Schools?? Its not the best or worse school. How many kids ya got??

Police?? Your a couple 100 feet from a state police barracks so you'd be covered.

Fire?? Your far enough away they might be able to save the cellar.

I'm not seeing 12k in tax value myself.

Put the same house in the country with half the taxes and drill a well.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:06 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another question is what kind of neighborhood are you looking for, as that could also help decide where to look? For instance, if I was in your situation and was looking into a nearby city or community, I'd look in an area of Syracuse like Eastwood or maybe even the Court-Woodlawn area(north of Grant Boulevard). In Utica, besides North Utica, perhaps anything south of Parkway/Burrstone. In Rome, maybe south of the canal or around the hospital/RFA Stadium/Rome Catholic. From there, I'd check out Canastota, Chittenango, Sherrill, Fayetteville, Wampsville, Oneida(either the northern half of the Inner district or the outer/more rural/suburban part of the city), with consideration for NY Mills, Oriskany, New Hartford and Minoa. Bridgeport may be another area as well.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Quote:
Thats kinda the point where you gotta ask yourself "what exactly am I getting for 12K a year"??

Snow removal?? Your just off a state highway that you've just paid state taxes on to be plowed . So did you really pay 12 grand to be able to a 200 feet of plowed road a few times a year??

Police?? Your a couple 100 feet from a state police barracks so you'd be covered.

That's why I'm so tax averse because I don't use any services. I've never needed a cop, and honestly most cops in suburban / rural areas that I tend to live in are tax collectors with guns. Fire is volunteer, so I'll be glad to pay some fees for that (I think I paid $50 a year in PA for fire and ambulance when I lived there). Ambulance is paid by health insurance and co-pays, which are high. I don't need good schools, but I plan to live near a university in the next 6 months or so.

Garbage, sewer and water I pay for. Snow removal here is atrocious and potholes are not even filled until after winter, and poorly at that.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Are you even looking for a home on that level though? While I also think taxes could be lowered, what I'm finding out is that people aren't as quick to change things in order to lower taxes and even in the South, people were resistant until they actually saw the reduction in taxes/savings. So, I think the people that live here are just as responsible for why taxes are the way they are.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Oh heavens no not looking to spend that much. Just chit chatting.

IIRC most of our taxes are county taxes which are mostly to pay for Medicade.

In my target price of 100kish 3500-5000 is prolly normal. I generally add 400 a month tax and insurance for quick math. Unlikely I'll be much higher or lower then that.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Oh heavens no not looking to spend that much. Just chit chatting.

IIRC most of our taxes are county taxes which are mostly to pay for Medicade.

In my target price of 100kish 3500-5000 is prolly normal. I generally add 400 a month tax and insurance for quick math. Unlikely I'll be much higher or lower then that.
School taxes also make up a big chunk of property taxes and may be the toughest thing to change.

Seriously, if you are interested, an area of Eastwood that I like and is pretty nice is the area that is east of Midler/south of James/north of Burnet and west of Thompson Road. It is an area with homes within your range and has quick Thruway access going north on Thompson Road to Exit 35, if I'm not mistaken. Here is a street view within that area:
https://goo.gl/maps/fgkh3s46MN62

Here are some homes in that general area: CNYHomes - 205 Burns Ave Syracuse 13206

CNYHomes - 1219 Caleb Ave Syracuse 13206

As for Court-Woodlawn, here are some listings in that area: CNYHomes - 303 Kenwick Dr Syracuse 13208

CNYHomes - 226 Darlington Rd Syracuse 13208

CNYHomes - 206 Martin St Syracuse 13208

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-18-2016 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 AM

I honestly couldn't see myself ever living in Syracuse. Or even Utica except certain carefully selected areas. I'm no social butterfly by any means but I have a few friends and all are in an arc around Oneida extending to Utica and Rome. I don't know a soul to the West. I can't see cutting myself off from society like that. Actually I can see it very well and sorta like the idea but my wife ain't gonna buy it.

I'm pushing real hard for shorther drive. Or none at all. And no stairs. She keeps saying we ain't so old we can't do stairs but this is our last move within NY and the time frame will include when we can't do stairs.

I'm working on selling an idea to she who must be obeyed now on a plan to spend less on a solid house in a decent area that would leave us like 30 grand in cash to remodel it. That way we get EXACTLY what we like AND a smaller/shorter mortgage.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I honestly couldn't see myself ever living in Syracuse. Or even Utica except certain carefully selected areas. I'm no social butterfly by any means but I have a few friends and all are in an arc around Oneida extending to Utica and Rome. I don't know a soul to the West. I can't see cutting myself off from society like that. Actually I can see it very well and sorta like the idea but my wife ain't gonna buy it.

I'm pushing real hard for shorther drive. Or none at all. And no stairs. She keeps saying we ain't so old we can't do stairs but this is our last move within NY and the time frame will include when we can't do stairs.

I'm working on selling an idea to she who must be obeyed now on a plan to spend less on a solid house in a decent area that would leave us like 30 grand in cash to remodel it. That way we get EXACTLY what we like AND a smaller/shorter mortgage.
Are there any Ranch style homes nearby that appeal to either one of you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area