U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,406,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger6 View Post
Asheville is beautiful. Take lots of extra batteries for your camera! Just watch out for all the hippies
Yeah, I figured some would end up there. LOL The Great Smoky Mountains look amazing. I've been to some of the mountain ranges out west and up north, but haven't had the chance to venture down there. I really enjoyed Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor, ME.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,696,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Apple adding 3,600 jobs and a 304 million dollar campus in Austin, Texas....Here is my issue....why add these jobs in a city thats already overpopulated and prospering..why not support cities that need help like a Syracuse or a Buffalo....or a Flint, Michigan...or even help out in Apple's home state and build it in Stockton, Cali which just went bankrupt...same with Microsoft...bill gates helps millions of Indians yet he wont help cities like New Orleans. Apple to add 3,600 jobs at new $304 million campus in Austin, Texas | syracuse.com
I understand your frustration, but lets put this into perspective. Apple already had a significant presence in the Austin area for some time and is doubling its workforce there (see link below). Also, Austin is a major university town with extensive high-tech research facilities. While I agree that companies should support cities like Flint, Buffalo, and New Orleans, do those cities have capacity to support Apple's needs?

Apple Investing $300 Million Into New Campus in Austin, Texas | MacTrast

Why do we forget what is taking place in NYS so quickly? Why do some (who shall remain nameless) use opportunties like this to trash Syracuse when announcements are made, but never comment on major positive annoucements in NYS/CNY?

Sematech relocates to Albany from Austin:

If you recall, Semetech (a high-tech consortium) was based in Austin and moved their operations to Albany in 2010 after the Center for Nanotechnology opened and has brought with it enormous investment to the Capital region and (soon) other upstate NY locations. I doubt that taxes and cheap labor are a major factor in such high-value added products like Apples, etc. If they were, Semetech would have stayed in Texas.

Sematech Relocates Manufacturing HQ to Albany, NY | Business Facilities | The Location Advisor

$4.4 billion nanotechnology investment in NYS:

Also, Intel, IBM, Samsung, Global Foundries and TSMC recently annouced a $4.4 billion nanotechnology investment in upstate NY that will create 2,500 high-technology jobs as well as 1,900 construction jobs, according to the governor’s office (see link below). One of those facilites will be located at SUNY IT near Utica. Indirectly, nano. research will soon take place at the Lockheed plant in Syracuse.

$4.4 Billion Nano Investment Signals that New York State is Open for Business : Knickerbocker Ledger
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s.../post_276.html

Syracuse vs. Austin

As I mentioned, Austin is a major university town with extensive research capacity that fits Apple's needs. Like Austin, Syracuse is a major university town with (or soon will have) extensive research facilities in environmental technology, biotechnology, cancer, etc. Keep in mind, Syracuse is beginning its rise in these fields, Austin has had a major headstart for a few years now.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s.../post_276.html

Loguen Crossing:

Isn't Loguen Crossing going to employ over 3,000 people according to news reports? It will be the focus of biotech research! Per Upstate's press release, "A recent Columbia University study said the redevelopment project is expected in the short term to have a $465 million economic impact with close to 7,000 temporary jobs. In the long term, the project anticipates a close to $200 million annual economic impact with the creation of more than 3,000 permanent jobs".

Upstate, private company announce plans to redevelop Kennedy Square in Syracuse | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Syracuse Inner-Harbor:

Granted, its NOT high-tech, but the inner-harbor is a $350M investment anchored by a growing academic institution (OCC).

Syracuse Inner Harbor project takes a step forward | syracuse.com

So relax people , all is well! It could be worse, you could be Florida! When is the last time you heard of any major high-tech investments in the sunshine state? Oh ya, we got Disney!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 03-10-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,882,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Apple adding 3,600 jobs and a 304 million dollar campus in Austin, Texas....Here is my issue....why add these jobs in a city thats already overpopulated and prospering..why not support cities that need help like a Syracuse or a Buffalo....or a Flint, Michigan...or even help out in Apple's home state and build it in Stockton, Cali which just went bankrupt...same with Microsoft...bill gates helps millions of Indians yet he wont help cities like New Orleans. Apple to add 3,600 jobs at new $304 million campus in Austin, Texas | syracuse.com
Apple's had various parts of their operation in and around Austin for quite a while, so it probably makes sense. They're also in the process towards building a new headquarters in their hometown - Cupertino, CA.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,641 times
Default Help a KY couple move to NY

We plan to move to New York within the next 12 months to leave the conservative KY behind us. PLEASE suggest areas in New York that are liberal, open-minded and have enough land for two horses!! Is Walton, NY or Clinton, NY or Kirkwood, NY a "better" place to live? I know you are not real estate agents but ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM

77,946 posts, read 105,963,679 times
For those that like art or have or know of children that do, this event may be of your interest: SUArt Kids at the Syracuse University Art Galleries this weekend!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM

OCC President Debbie Sydow to become President of a college in Virginia:

Sydow to leave OCC for college in Virginia

Sorry to see her go, it is a real loss to the community. She has done a remarkable job at OCC. I wonder how this will impact its plans for further growth and the inner-harbor. She is a native of Virginia.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM

77,946 posts, read 105,963,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
OCC President Debbie Sydow to become President of College in Virginia:

Sydow to leave OCC for college in Virginia

Sorry to see her go, it is a real loss to the community. She has done a remarkable job at OCC. I wonder how this will impact its plans for further growth and the inner-harbor. She is a native of Virginia.
Good question. I hope that they will select someone with a similar vision.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good question. I hope that they will select someone with a similar vision.
Lets hope, the OCC press release (WSTM) said that she has established a strong managment team that will continue her vision.

Onondaga Community College President stepping down : News : CNYcentral.com

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM

SU facing tournament challenge similar to 2010 - YNN, Your News Now

WHAT?...Fab Melo is ineligible for the NCAA Tournament! Its a SU decision, not the NCAA.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Interesting and positive article on the redevelopment of downtown Syracuse:

Home Sweet Home is increasingly in downtown Syracuse «

Excerpts:

The Brookings Institution’s Metropolitan Policy Program has advocated the "2% solution”. The solution asserts that downtown residential populations have to reach 1/50th of the regional population before they will take off into long-term vibrancy and prosperity. It doesn't sound like much, but that translates into 13,000 residents in downtown Syracuse. Syracuse now houses 2,700 people downtown, there’s a ways to go to that two percent.

Currently, the Downtown residential population has increased 25% in the last decade and the non-profit Downtown Committee reports that there is a 99 percent occupancy rate for the neighborhood’s 913 market-rate residential units. If COR Companies proposal for the nearby Inner Harbor becomes a reality, there will be another 502 residential units less than a mile walk from downtown ‘s core. Perhaps this doesn’t technically count towards the 2%, but it will surely transform the center city. Another indicator of a "coming boom" might be Urban Outfitters 2010 opening in Armory Square. The newspaper story on this opening refers to the coming of this retailer as “a watershed move for retail in downtown Syracuse…that could open the floodgates for an urban retail chain reaction.”

Syracuse and Onondaga County are pursuing policies away from sprawl: the city has just submitted the application to create a land bank to more proactively and progressively deal with vacant properties; a countywide ‘Settlement Plan’; and plans to halt sprawl by strengthening guidelines that include an curb-infrastructure provision that would fuel it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area