U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,287,168 times

Advertisements

SU grad and semi Utica hero Dick Clark has passed.

Not like I knew him personally but he's been a part of my life for, well, all of it.

RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 2,258,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyce View Post
he looks like one of those visionary utica politicians. I like how the o-d says at the end of the article, "the plunger was recovered." i'm sure the citizens of utica can rest easily knowing this violent weapon has been taken off the street.
lmao!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM

US Airways makes deals with labor unions at American Airlines | syracuse.com

Interesting turn of events in the airline industry. US Airways has struck deals with labor unions at American Airlines to win their support for a possible merger with American. If so, that would leave US airways, Delta, United, Jetblue and Air Canada serving Hancock. The merger might make things easier for the Syracuse Airport Authority to entice Southwest to enter the Syracuse market, or carriers like Allegient, Spirit (yeesh), etc. To be honest, I don't think Southwest is all that cheap anymore. I have found flights on Delta, US airways and Jetblue that are competitive with or cheaper than Southwest. I was talking to a friend who is retired from Goldman Sachs, he pointed out that Southwest does not have the advantages it once had. Remains to be seen.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM

997 posts, read 1,614,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
US Airways makes deals with labor unions at American Airlines | syracuse.com

Interesting turn of events in the airline industry. US Airways has struck deals with labor unions at American Airlines to win their support for a possible merger with American. If so, that would leave US airways, Delta, United, Jetblue and Air Canada serving Hancock. The merger might make things easier for the Syracuse Airport Authority to entice Southwest to enter the Syracuse market, or carriers like Allegient, Spirit (yeesh), etc. To be honest, I don't think Southwest is all that cheap anymore. I have found flights on Delta, US airways and Jetblue that are competitive with or cheaper than Southwest. I was talking to a friend who is retired from Goldman Sachs, he pointed out that Southwest does not have the advantages it once had. Remains to be seen.
Yep. American already pulled out of Albany, where Southwest has actually become the largest volume airline I believe (something like 40% of the flights). What's actually likely to delay Southwest coming here is more likely their acquisition of AirTran which brings them into Rochester already. But who knows, maybe.

There's certainly room for more airlines at Hancock.

I actually priced a trip I'm taking near the end of the year... JetBlue, the other discount favorite, is actually one of the most expensive options for where I need to go (LAX or SNA). United undercut them by several hundred dollars... go figure.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Yep. American already pulled out of Albany, where Southwest has actually become the largest volume airline I believe (something like 40% of the flights). What's actually likely to delay Southwest coming here is more likely their acquisition of AirTran which brings them into Rochester already. But who knows, maybe.

There's certainly room for more airlines at Hancock.

I actually priced a trip I'm taking near the end of the year... JetBlue, the other discount favorite, is actually one of the most expensive options for where I need to go (LAX or SNA). United undercut them by several hundred dollars... go figure.
Same here, I am finding that too, the "low-cost" are actually a bit more expensive in some cases. I don't find Southwest to be a "bargain" at all.

As far as Syracuse is concerned, I have actually found US airways to be competitive with or cheaper than Jetblue on some flights. The nice thing, there are two non-stops from Orlando to Syracuse. The merger of American into US airways might benefit Syracuse since it has a "major" presence.

I have not flown US airways to Syracuse in a while (mostly Jetblue), they used to have a direct flight from Syracuse from Tampa where it stopped in Pittsburgh then on to Syracuse which is almost as convenient.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM

3,164 posts, read 4,336,160 times
Meet Marlin: Giant Dredge Arrives In Syracuse To Clean Onondaga Lake | syracuse.com

Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,085,969 times
I had to go to Shoppingtown yesterday or what once was Shoppingtown. It is obvious that they are on their last leg and just waiting to be put out of it's misery. I did notice that one end was being used for indoor activities like fencing, gymnastics, and martial arts. Would it be possible to turn the whole mall into an indoor "lifestyle center" where people could participate in multiple sports and activities no matter the weather? I can't tell you the last time I was at Shoppingtown, so I don't know if that end of the mall is a new addition and that is the direction they are heading. The shopping at Shoppingtown was nonexistent.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 PM

3,164 posts, read 4,336,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I had to go to Shoppingtown yesterday or what once was Shoppingtown. It is obvious that they are on their last leg and just waiting to be put out of it's misery. I did notice that one end was being used for indoor activities like fencing, gymnastics, and martial arts. Would it be possible to turn the whole mall into an indoor "lifestyle center" where people could participate in multiple sports and activities no matter the weather? I can't tell you the last time I was at Shoppingtown, so I don't know if that end of the mall is a new addition and that is the direction they are heading. The shopping at Shoppingtown was nonexistent.
I've been to Shoppingtown once and that was a few months ago - it completely boggled my mind why it was even there. It's obvious that the area doesn't need 3 malls.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:31 PM

50,540 posts, read 72,555,834 times
Yeah, I thought that the Lifestyle center thing may work. It actually more of a plaza in its early years. Pre Carousel Center, there were as many as 7-8 malls in Onondaga County at one time.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,728,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I've been to Shoppingtown once and that was a few months ago - it completely boggled my mind why it was even there. It's obvious that the area doesn't need 3 malls.
Great Northern used to be that "the area doesn't need 3 malls" place. Before that, there were 6 malls- Fayetteville and Penn Can and Camillus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area