Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,248,560 times

Advertisements

No, no, not unigue to this area at all. I have a wanderlust near and far. Also have a good eye. I can drive down a street and tell you ten things everyone else missed.

We both have (very) good jobs in Oneida so Auburn and so on are outside our range so that area is being judged as to far away not as bad.

I like country living and I like cities. Hate, no HATE, suburbs. I have to be in Baldwinsville today and I swear that place reminds me of the Moon. But its a safe area (not looking at homes in this case). So if one likes a Moonscape Baldwinsville may well be there dream.

For a taste of cities I'm in NYC fairly often so all I need out of Upstate is a taste now and then. DT Syracuse actually has a small urban feel, just no people. Utica has people but its even smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
It also has variation in terms of neighborhoods, but I wouldn't go so far to call it a dump
See this is a battle I fight at home. That argument flies in Utica or Syracuse because the ghetto is within the city limits but several miles away. Oneida is tiny, you can walk from anywhere to anywhere in no time. You could build a 10 million dollar palace but your still a brisk walk from 3 meth labs and a dozen crack houses. To me thats not safe.

I'm well aware crack/meth heads are everywhere I just don't want to see them every single time I walk out the door.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Given your commentary, you actually should have much trouble finding what you want around here
I'm sure this is a typo but as stated its very true.

Affordability varies wildly by area. Many people, and all COL index's, leave out alot of factors. And even within an area it can vary a crap load. So doing things by Metro area may wet ones beak but much work still needs to be done. I've gotten pretty good at figgering the true cost up and little things add but. Need Thruway or not?? Tolls are no joke, I've spent big money just on tolls. Actual time of day for commute?? Fayetteville is a huge bottleneck certain times of day. My car computes gas mileage and some times Fayetteville drinks gas and some times I'm just passing through. So person A may dread Fayetteville while person B can't wait to score a cup of joe at FOE.

Florida is no different in this regard, or anywhere else. If your job is in Tampa and you live on the bus line you may spend 8 dollars a Month on gas. But if you live in Wesley Chapel your gonna buy some gas. So saying "the average Tampa person spends 50$ a Month on gas" isn't very useful information.

Both NY and Florida have about a 90% employment rate. Thats my wheel house. Worrying about .00006% difference in unemployment rate doesn't interest me as I don't intend to join that group.

BTW this type of number running is fun for me. A hobby if you will. I'm not suggesting other people do it.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM

92,013 posts, read 122,107,559 times
If you see this activity or people, then why hasn't this been reported to the authorities? I know of a few incidents, but I don't know if it is as bad as you say. I'll try to ask an Oneida councilman that I know if he is aware of this.

Also to say that states have 90% employment is kind of facetious and the rate and pay tends to be higher and lower in Florida. I'm also not sure about public transit being too good at all in Florida. It is sprawled out a bit more and outside NYC, has longer average commutes.

Unemployment Rates for States

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,603,905 times
It must be hard work knowing EVERYTHING.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Nah, it's just good to have sources. Hateraide is a heck of a drink though.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:33 AM

The last time, and I do mean LAST, I reported anything to the OPD I was watching a robbery take place (my stuff) and they asked if I wanted them to send a car. I was like really?? No I just called to pass the time.

Since then (2 years ago) every time I get robbed I live without or go by new. Nobody I personally know bothers to call OPD. I'm well armed and a light sleeper so I don't worry about personal safety.

One time they got a meth lab outside of town. Not an area I go to so that one I didn't know about that one. The others everyone in town knew about. I'm not personally sure how big a problem meth is, I would still consider crack to be king.

I wonder if the guy you know is that idiot on the radio two weeks ago. The one that took the calls asking if anyone was gonna do anything about the crime and he said we don't know what to do if people don't tell us. I was working at the time and didn't hear it but the guy has been the laughing stock of town since. I cannot say if he's retarded or being paid off.

To be fair the new mayor has promised to clean the scum up but I feel its to late. The scums control this town and I can't see that changing. If they fire the entire OPD and replace them with ex-Navy SEALS full of hate and anger I'd rethink my postition but as it is I'll just leave thank you.

Jesus I'm talking about putting my entire income and considerable talents to work rebuilding a part of your beloved Syracuse I thought you'd be happy.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The last time, and I do mean LAST, I reported anything to the OPD I was watching a robbery take place (my stuff) and they asked if I wanted them to send a car. I was like really?? No I just called to pass the time.

Since then (2 years ago) every time I get robbed I live without or go by new. Nobody I personally know bothers to call OPD. I'm well armed and a light sleeper so I don't worry about personal safety.

One time they got a meth lab outside of town. Not an area I go to so that one I didn't know about that one. The others everyone in town knew about. I'm not personally sure how big a problem meth is, I would still consider crack to be king.

I wonder if the guy you know is that idiot on the radio two weeks ago. The one that took the calls asking if anyone was gonna do anything about the crime and he said we don't know what to do if people don't tell us. I was working at the time and didn't hear it but the guy has been the laughing stock of town since. I cannot say if he's retarded or being paid off.

To be fair the new mayor has promised to clean the scum up but I feel its to late. The scums control this town and I can't see that changing. If they fire the entire OPD and replace them with ex-Navy SEALS full of hate and anger I'd rethink my postition but as it is I'll just leave thank you.

Jesus I'm talking about putting my entire income and considerable talents to work

rebuilding a part of your beloved Syracuse I thought you'd be happy.

I just asked a question and wondered about how serious the crime was in Oneida. It doesn't have anything to do with being happy or not. Maybe the crime varies by neighborhood. Maybe if the crime bothers you in Oneida, looking into a neighborhood like Hawley-Green may not work like you may think it would.

As for the councilman, I know him from attending Emancipation Day in Peterboro. I'm not sure if he is the Guy from the radio show though.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Outside of thefts, it doesn't look too bad: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,847,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
It must be frustrating knowing NOTHING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area