Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times

Advertisements

Got the pictures... uploading now and will post momentarily. I can't think it's anything but a Sears Magnolia, now that I've seen your samples and the house in-person. Prepare to be excited. :P I couldn't take exact side shots as the front lawns are long and there are other houses directly beside them. The window at the top front IS there but the lawn goes up at a bit of an incline and crossing the street to capture it would do little, since there are enormous trees blocking the view and there was a [strike]garbage truck[/strike] yard waste truck collecting right in front of the house at the time. lol- James Street is more of a VERY wide avenue. But- the window IS there. lol

eta the pics' link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62453781@N07/ (broken link)

Last edited by proulxfamily; 05-03-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Default wow, wow, wow

Wow.

Wow, wow, wow.

Wow.

WOW!

Thanks so much for posting those photos. What a delightful thing to see. Did the sky get a little bluer when you saw this house? Did the little birdies sing a happy tune while you snapped the shutter? Did you see any rainbow-colored unicorns dance on by?

Because, that's what I see when I gaze upon these photos.

Incredibly, I'm still only 98% sure this is indeed a Sears Magnolia. It's SOOOOOOOOO close, but I see a couple niggling little details that worry me.

If you happen by that way again...I just need a close-up shot of the attic dormer - if that's possible. If you happen by that way again!

Thanks again. I sent you a PM.

Rose

Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM

I'll try again - lol - if no one else posts it tonight.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM

162 posts, read 274,356 times
Rosemary, any idea how many Sears Houses were built, or at least sold, overall? How about in New York State? After looking around on Google and on your website, it seems like there is a large concentration of these homes in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic, but I haven't seen a lot about Sears Homes in New York.

In any event, I think there may be a cluster of Sears Homes, and maybe kit homes in general, in a few areas in Syracuse. Specifically, I think there may be a big concentration over in the Wellesley area of Strathmore and in the Valley section of Syracuse. Having looked at pictures of various designs, they look incredibly familiar and I feel like I've seen several versions of them around those areas. Both of those neighborhoods were also built up between 1910 and 1930, so it would make sense in terms of time frame as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPlanner View Post
Rosemary, any idea how many Sears Houses were built, or at least sold, overall? How about in New York State? After looking around on Google and on your website, it seems like there is a large concentration of these homes in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic, but I haven't seen a lot about Sears Homes in New York.

In any event, I think there may be a cluster of Sears Homes, and maybe kit homes in general, in a few areas in Syracuse. Specifically, I think there may be a big concentration over in the Wellesley area of Strathmore and in the Valley section of Syracuse. Having looked at pictures of various designs, they look incredibly familiar and I feel like I've seen several versions of them around those areas. Both of those neighborhoods were also built up between 1910 and 1930, so it would make sense in terms of time frame as well.
Yes! After looking through her website a bit, it seemed as though I've seen many of these homes around here before... good call, CU!

Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
Stats on the house:

Building Style:Colonial
Number of Baths:2 (Full) - 1(Half)
Number of Bedrooms:4
Number of Kitchens:1
Number of Fireplaces:1
Overall Condition:Normal
Overall Grade:Good
Year Built:1905
Basement Type:Full

Living Area:2,976 sq. ft.
First Story Area:1,616 sq. ft.
Second Story Area:1,360 sq. ft.
Number of Stories:2

Current and previous owners information on record and if interested, I can point you in that direction.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Default yep

I'd love to know the names of the current owners so that I can send them a note.

And New York is LOUSY with Sears Homes! Seriously, there are probably many more Sears Homes in Syracuse and surrounding areas.

In areas where sales were strong, Sears put up "Sears Modern Homes Sales Centers" - and these were a retail storefront where you could walk in and caress the millwork and study the moldings and pick out your favorite style of bookcase colonnade.

Sears only had 40 of these Sales Centers and they were only placed in communities where sales were already strong, and there were several in New York.

So yes, I'm confident that there are many Sears Homes just waiting to be discovered in the cities of New York. And this really is akin to discovering hidden treasure (and that's what makes it so much fun). More than 90% of the people living IN these homes had no idea what they had until I knocked on their door and told them. More than 90% of these homeowners have no idea they're living in a piece of American mail-order history.

We're far enough removed from the history of these houses that this part of the story has been forgotten, and that's a real shame, because these homes truly are special.

And take a look at these Sears Homes. These were not just "boxy little affairs." These were some nice houses!

So find some Sears Homes and post the photos. I'll help you figure out what they are.

Rosemary Thornton

Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
Looking at these photos I feel confident that there must be a number of these homes in Syracuse - not doubt. Syracuse also still has a fair number of another "kit home" still extant - the classic Lustron.

What Is a Lustron Home

Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I feel confident that there some Sears Homes around Syracuse. It seems like you find some in the historic neighborhoods, as well as maybe areas like Ross Park on the Northside(as well as other parts of Court-Woodlawn), Eastwood(streets like Rigi, Forest Hill Drive and the area east of Midler and south of James), South Valley and Salt Springs. It seems like you can find some Lustrons in Meadowbrook around where Meadowbrook and Euclid intersect and where Nottingham Road ends at Meadowbrook. Salt Springs, Lincoln Hill, Court-Woodlawn and Eastwood might have some too.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I feel confident that there some Sears Homes around Syracuse. It seems like you find some in the historic neighborhoods, as well as maybe areas like Ross Park on the Northside(as well as other parts of Court-Woodlawn), Eastwood(streets like Rigi, Forest Hill Drive and the area east of Midler and south of James), South Valley and Salt Springs. It seems like you can find some Lustrons in Meadowbrook around where Meadowbrook and Euclid intersect and where Nottingham Road ends at Meadowbrook. Salt Springs, Lincoln Hill, Court-Woodlawn and Eastwood might have some too.
Yes! Looking at those samples looked like the Orvilton neighborhood of Dewitt and the neighborhoods adjacent to and running along East Genesee and the Bradford area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area