Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Aquarium in Lakefront/Inner Harbor Area
I ran across something this weekend about a group that tried to raise funds to make this happen back in 2002. I didn't live here at the time, does anyone know what happened to that plan?

Quote:
Mizpah Tower
Hotel Syracuse
I think there are a lot of people that want this to happen, but the red tape is standing in the way.

Quote:
Former Sears Building (S. Salina Street)
Check out what Minneapolis did with their old Sears building. Something similar to this project would be a great addition in Syracuse. About the Market

Quote:
Former Movie Theater (Route 11 Mattydale)
This is my second favorite building in the area. This is my all time favorite and I would turn it into a house in a heartbeat. NECRAT Picture V4.0

Quote:
Bring fledgling SUNY Upstate Cancer Center up to par with major institutions like Sanford-Burnham in San Diego and Dana Farber in Boston
What don't you like about the new Cancer Center being built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I think CENTRO owns the Sears Building and I would like to see something in the building across the street from it too.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,619,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I ran across something this weekend about a group that tried to raise funds to make this happen back in 2002. I didn't live here at the time, does anyone know what happened to that plan?

Mizpah Tower & Hotel Syracuse
I think there are a lot of people that want this to happen, but the red tape is standing in the way.

Check out what Minneapolis did with their old Sears building. Something similar to this project would be a great addition in Syracuse. About the Market

This is my second favorite building in the area. This is my all time favorite and I would turn it into a house in a heartbeat. NECRAT Picture V4.0

What don't you like about the new Cancer Center being built?
I'm not familiar with the plan, however I believe it may have been tied into one of Congel's earlier visions with the Carousel Expansion.

I agree. Unfortunately there is and will probably continue to be no movement regarding the Mizpah and Hotel Syracuse. The Hotel Syracuse's succession of owners and failed redevelopment plans, coupled with the financial troubles plaguing its Israeili owner make this project a no-go. Despite a major uptick in lending in major cities for hospitality and mixed-use projects, virtually of the the stalled projects in Syracuse continue to have difficulty obtaining financing. To make matters worse, Wilmorite's new strategy of incorporating a racino to finance the construction of the the hideously-designed Convention Center Hotel only casts further doubt on the ability of a Hotel Syracuse developer to line up the $15 million in cash set aside by the governor, state senate, and assembly. The OnCenter's periloius financial state and the recent refusal of the county legislature's Ways and Mean's Committee to provide additional funding adds another wrinkle to the Hotel Syracuse and Convention Center Hotel plans.

I like the design of the Cancer Center and am glad they went with a well regarded architecture firm that knows how to design attractive buildings. Unfortunately, I think the recruitment of top researchers and physicians will be hampered by the state's dire financial situation and inability to offer salaries that are comparable with private institutions and major public medical facilities in other states.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 05-25-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 AM

162 posts, read 274,296 times
SMTC is conducting a feasibility study for the conversion of some downtown streets from one-way to two-way. I hope it does prove feasible and they get to it:

Syracuse considers ridding downtown of one-way streets | syracuse.com

Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

In addition to an aquarium I would like to see the full build-out of Syracuse's Inner Harbor. A mix of upscale and market rate townhomes, condos, a seafood restaurant, small retail shops and a Franklin car museum would be nice.

Along those lines, I noticed an editorial in the Post-Standard mentioning that the state will transfer 34 acres of harbor land to the city. After several failed attempts to redevelop the area under the management of the Canal Corp, the city wants to take control of the process. Given the city's poor track record in handling projects, most notably RFP's for developers (I'm mostly referring to Driscoll's tenure), I question whether the city has the manpower to properly execute a rather complex and time consuming development process. Interestingly enough, the editorial made no mention of a residential component to Inner Harbor development. In my opinion its imperative that the city designate a portion of the Inner Harbor for housing development. The addition of market rate and upscale housing would help expand the neighboring Franklin Square district and increase usage of the creekwalk. A Parade of Homes featuring new Inner Harbor residences could potentially redefine an area widely viewed as blighted. The development of a cohesive residential neighborhood in the Inner Harbor area could have positive implicaitons for the northwest side of downtown and parts of the North Side adjacent to I-81. As it currently stands, the northwest end of Franklin Square has several vacant or underutilized properties that would be great candidates for loft housing and some other commercial uses. A grocery store situated between the Franklin Square and Inner Harbor neighorhoods would expand the development potential of both neighborhoods. Throw in a completed creekwalk and Syracuse could be on a path toward vitality.

Does anyone know if the Miner Administration has any plans for the Inner Harbor? Several articles in the past gave the impression that private development would be minimal.

Syracuse Inner Harbor's Promise: It's still huge, whether or not Destiny succeeds | syracuse.com

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 05-26-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Great points Rolls...... I would love for the Inner Harbor to have a nice mix of the things you mention and the Parade of Homes would be a nice touch. Maybe even a charter school in that area would work. That would really connect many parts of the city, but it will be interesting to see if the city will have the proper vision for that area.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
Along those lines, I noticed an editorial in the Post-Standard mentioning that the state will transfer 34 acres of harbor land to the city. After several failed attempts to redevelop the area under the management of the Canal Corp, the city wants to take control of the process. Given the city's poor track record in handling projects, most notably RFP's for developers (I'm mostly referring to Driscoll's tenure), I question whether the city has the manpower to properly execute a rather complex and time consuming development process. Interestingly enough, the editorial made no mention of a residential component to Inner Harbor development. In my opinion its imperative that the city designate a portion of the Inner Harbor for housing development. The addition of market rate and upscale housing would help expand the neighboring Franklin Square district and increase usage of the creekwalk. A Parade of Homes featuring new Inner Harbor residences could potentially redefine an area widely viewed as blighted. The development of a cohesive residential neighborhood in the Inner Harbor area could have positive implicaitons for the northwest side of downtown and parts of the North Side adjacent to I-81. As it currently stands, the northwest end of Franklin Square has several vacant or underutilized properties that would be great candidates for loft housing and some other commercial uses. A grocery store situated between the Franklin Square and Inner Harbor neighorhoods would expand the development potential of both neighborhoods. Throw in a completed creekwalk and Syracuse could be on a path toward vitality.
I have doubts that the Miner administration could do any worse than the Canal Corp's bungling of the last decade on that.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
I have doubts that the Miner administration could do any worse than the Canal Corp's bungling of the last decade on that.

I would agree with the statement, however the degree in which there will be an improvement under city control is undetermined. The city has done a miserable job of managing the airport. The Airport Commissioner position remains vacant. It never ceases to amaze that the Post-Standard didn't even bother ask about the status of this position when running the story about the impact of the Delta/US Airways swap at LaGuardia in yesterday's online edition. The security renovation and expansion was proposed more than 3 years ago and still no work has occurred. The latest RFP for food services (and there have been several failed attempts) received no response. I'm not solely blaming Miner for the inferior state of the airport and give her credit for purposing to replace cops with private security.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,025 times
Quote:
I would agree with the statement, however the degree in which there will be an improvement under city control is undetermined. The city has done a miserable job of managing the airport. The Airport Commissioner position remains vacant. It never ceases to amaze that the Post-Standard didn't even bother ask about the status of this position when running the story about the impact of the Delta/US Airways swap at LaGuardia in yesterday's online edition. The security renovation and expansion was proposed more than 3 years ago and still no work has occurred. The latest RFP for food services (and there have been several failed attempts) received no response. I'm not solely blaming Miner for the inferior state of the airport and give her credit for purposing to replace cops with private security.
Under the new authority legislation, does the mayor fill that position anymore? Does the position exist anymore?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Under the new authority legislation, does the mayor fill that position anymore? Does the position exist anymore?
That's a good question. I don't know. All of the other major airports have an Airport Manager. The city still largely controls who is appointed to the authority board, although there is a rotating member from the school districts that encompass the airport boundries. If an authority is indeed created, I'm not sure if the Commissioner would be paid by the authority or by the city. The position was advertised well after the legislation creating the authority was drafted, though not actually introduced. Once and if legislation is approved it will take some time to transition the airport from city control and get regulatory approval from the FAA. Having the top airport management position vacant for an extended period of time is not in the best interest of the airport, especially when there is an urgency to attract low cost airlines and improve existing service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area