Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I love this guy's blog about Syracuse pizza:Syracuse NY Pizza Blog and Reviews

There may be a lot of pizza places around, but most of them aren't very good. Some people are happy with pizza and some people go out of their way for GOOD pizza. They make the same item, but they are all very different.
I agree ToeJam, I do not settle for any pizza. I am partial to Twin Tree's and my old haunt Varsity Pizza. My point to SyraBrian is, if you want variety, you may travel for it...whether GOOD pizza or other cuisine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,467 times
I was just about to recommend Franco's. It's a couple blocks from my place, and open until 3:30 in the morning, so I'm a semi-regular. They usually have about 15 types of pies available for slices; I've never seen the marsala out there, but I'm quite partial to the General Tso's (yes, Chinese food on a pizza - pretty decent at all times of the day).

Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post

There may be a lot of pizza places around, but most of them aren't very good. Some people are happy with pizza and some people go out of their way for GOOD pizza. They make the same item, but they are all very different.
Pizza joints in the SYR area seem to be like 'landscapers' (where anyone who can dig a hole and throw in a bush seems to be called a landscaper): There are LOTS of them, and they seem to come and go regularly, but most of them are not very good.

I just don't get it...yes, i have my favorite and think they make very good, relatively thinner crust pizza with GOOD sauce (one of the keys to good pizza), but what i don't 'get' is all the guys who open up and make exactly what the guy down the block sells (generally thick crust, canned sauce (the least costly they can find), and artificial cheese....sort of like Domino's. It is all horrible, and they don't seem to last long. Oh yes, they try to sell wings too. Where did that idea come from, that wings have anyhing to do with pizza?

Here's a hint, and a question all rolled into one: Get a good wood fired oven, and make a (very) thin crust pie in a wood fired oven. Does anyone in the Syracuse area do that? Not that i have found. You have a thriving business if you do it correctly.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:53 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I was just about to recommend Franco's. It's a couple blocks from my place, and open until 3:30 in the morning, so I'm a semi-regular. They usually have about 15 types of pies available for slices; I've never seen the marsala out there, but I'm quite partial to the General Tso's (yes, Chinese food on a pizza - pretty decent at all times of the day).
True and I would go there on occasion.

Actually, the Delta Sonic in North Syracuse has good brick oven pizza. I'm not sure if they are the only one to make pizza that way in this area though.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
In Oneida we have a Branch of a place in Mattydale called Christopher's.

They have some darn good pizza, here at least.

To many pizza places is like to much money or sex.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
In Oneida we have a Branch of a place in Mattydale called Christopher's.

They have some darn good pizza, here at least.

To many pizza places is like to much money or sex.
At the Mattydale location, they serve ice cream too. Pizza is so-so

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
Here they bought an ice cream parlor so thats actually the main bussiness.

Regular pizza I agree but from the specialty line its very good.

Matter of fact I ate there tonite.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I saw that General Tso's on the menu and definitely have to try that out sometime!! Looks like I found a few places to satisfy my craving for unique pizzas

Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've noticed an attempt at more Barbeque spots lately. So, maybe people are trying something else. You have to look around for some different types of food. I want to try an Indian restaurant some time soon. Same with Thai and some Korean BBQ.
I'm biased but I'll point you to Sahota Palace for Indian, Tokyo Seould for Korean BBQ (or Chrong House for fantastic truly authentic Korean but no sure of the serve BBQ there) and at this point I think Appethaizing is the best Thai within city limits. I've heard very favorable things about Sweet Basil Thai in Mattydale but haven't gotten out there yet. I plan to do so because although I like the food at the Appethaizing location on SU Hill.... the atmosphere is lacking.

On a related note pertinent for you "ch": I'll have real-for-real mac 'n cheese and collard greens at my house one week from this Saturday. I have family in town for a memorial service and will entertain a small group on the deck before some of us adults head up to Jazz Fest to see Return To Forever. You're welcome to stop by for a plate - seriously!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
I'm biased but I'll point you to Sahota Palace for Indian, Tokyo Seould for Korean BBQ (or Chrong House for fantastic truly authentic Korean but no sure of the serve BBQ there) and at this point I think Appethaizing is the best Thai within city limits. I've heard very favorable things about Sweet Basil Thai in Mattydale but haven't gotten out there yet. I plan to do so because although I like the food at the Appethaizing location on SU Hill.... the atmosphere is lacking.

On a related note pertinent for you "ch": I'll have real-for-real mac 'n cheese and collard greens at my house one week from this Saturday. I have family in town for a memorial service and will entertain a small group on the deck before some of us adults head up to Jazz Fest to see Return To Forever. You're welcome to stop by for a plate - seriously!
Thanks all around, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area