Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 AM

93,333 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

There was a NY Times article about a similar example in the Bay Area. PG County outside of DC is another. It's here to a small degree as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Yeah, did you see that piece about Memphis in The Atlantic about three years ago? I know Memphis is probably an extreme example - it's one of the largest (size-wise, not most populous) and most crime-ridden cities in the country - but demolition of their projects and careless distribution of Section 8 vouchers is having a disastrous effect on outlying neighborhoods all over the city.

It's likely this will be a problem in many American cities during this century. Demolition of projects and gentrification of inner cities will scatter problems across inner-ring suburbs; the problems will be exacerbated as the inner-ring areas see disinvestment due to renewed interest in cities and continued interest in exurbs. Could be a rocky transition; locally, it would be nice if the ill-effects of this were mitigated by increased interest in consolidation.
I am continuously impressed by everyone's knowledge of urban planning and history... and really enjoy reading what all of you have to say.

From a commoner's standpoint, I see Thrift as the economic charge... in business and real estate. I think that all of the faux-'burbs - ie. the ones that were formed after the max of "white flight" - will start to be seen as more and more undesirable... and the previous villages that started out as their own, self-sufficient (prior to Syracuse growing so quickly before the Erie Canal) areas will see some growth... provided that they're in an area with public transportation. People want more efficiency with their dollars now.

I see practicality growing. And I quite like it.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,665 times
I'm also routinely pleased to learn from the other posters on here; there's a ton of great information provided here that I don't see anywhere else.

The growth of practicality and frugality would be a good thing. In considering what identity, if any, Syracuse has (as was recently asked in another thread), our community would do well to become known for those characteristics.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
I'm also routinely pleased to learn from the other posters on here; there's a ton of great information provided here that I don't see anywhere else.

The growth of practicality and frugality would be a good thing. In considering what identity, if any, Syracuse has (as was recently asked in another thread), our community would do well to become known for those characteristics.
To some extent we can indeed be identified by those characteristics but there's been no effort (that I know of) to market our community in this way. It's worth noting that, apart from a tiny drop in home prices (which rebounded very quickly) and a bit longer turnover time, the Syracuse area was mostly unaffected by the housing market meltdown. We didn't have sub-prime mortgage issues in the area and although the McMansion phenomenon has happened in a few pockets around the area - it's not prevalent.

Another interesting fact about our area (a bit less true than it used to be but still fairly common) is that we have plenty of folks in the area who have "real money" but don't flaunt it. Excessive conspicuous consumption and flashy ostentatious displays of wealth are not unheard of in this area but there are far more people with significant financial resources around here than most people realize - but those people blend in better because they seem to be less hung up on notions of status. In short - people here tend to be fairly down to earth.

Last edited by phaelon56; 07-06-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM

93,333 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
To some extent we can indeed be identified by those characteristics but there's been no effort (that I know of) to market our community in this way. It's worth noting that, apart from a tiny drop in home prices (which rebounded very quickly) and a bit longer turnover time, the Syracuse area was mostly unaffected by the housing market meltdown. We didn't have sub-prime mortgage issues in the area and although the McMansion phenomenon has happened in a few pockets around the area - it's not prevalent.

Another interesting fact about our area (a bit less true than it used to be but still fairly common) is that we have plenty of folks in the area who have "real money" but don't flaunt it. Excessive conspicuous consumption and flashy ostentatious displays of wealth are not unheard of in this area but there are far more people with significant financial resources around here than most people realize - but those people blend in better because they seem to be less hung up on notions of status. In short - people here tend to be fairly down to earth.
I totally agree. I grew up in Onondaga Hill and to be honest, while it is viewed as a more of an upper middle class area, you couldn't necessarily tell the difference between say someone with parents that worked at factories and the kid that had a dad that was a doctor or lawyer when I was in high school. Even when looking at the Eastern suburbs, the people that live in that area tend to be pretty plain(for lack of a better word), for living in what is viewed as the more affluent suburbs in the area. Skaneateles might be a bit more flashy and even that seems to come from visitors. It also has a very rural character to it as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,126 times
I attended Nottingham High School in the 1970's and there was little visible difference (at least back then) between the kids from families with serious money and those of us from solidly middle class or lower middle class families. My daughter graduated from Marcellus High School in 2000 and it was still much the same way there.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
YES. The wealthy people I know aren't obvious about it. They either live in tucked-away, grand old homes that you can't see from the road and are modest in everything others can see... or they just live in impeccably cared-for homes and maintain good, solid vehicles as long as they'll run. You'd never suspect their wealth- that's the point... and also probably how they came to acquire and KEEP it.

They're the sort who bring the lawnmowers that are older than their children in to be repaired but pay cash to send their children to college... first at a SUNY school and then to finish somewhere with an exceptional reputation. They're the sort who provide newly married children with a house as a surprise wedding gift... or a substantial down payment. I know MANY people like this. They're not living in the McMansions, not driving luxury cars (except maybe for a treat and/or vintage project car) like it's normal, not wearing flashy jewelry, etc. They're the ones who have a small office in a large building or office park... but you don't know that they actually OWN that entire piece of property.

When I was little and scoffed at a bunch of dirty pennies on a west side street outside of our church, one of these people (good family friend) reprimanded me: "Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." It's true.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 2,940 times
I like to see the old mulberry square apartments rebuild exactly the way they were in the 70 and 80' s. Devil.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Thumbs down Little brodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
YES. The wealthy people I know aren't obvious about it. They either live in tucked-away, grand old homes that you can't see from the road and are modest in everything others can see... or they just live in impeccably cared-for homes and maintain good, solid vehicles as long as they'll run. You'd never suspect their wealth- that's the point... and also probably how they came to acquire and KEEP it.

They're the sort who bring the lawnmowers that are older than their children in to be repaired but pay cash to send their children to college... first at a SUNY school and then to finish somewhere with an exceptional reputation. They're the sort who provide newly married children with a house as a surprise wedding gift... or a substantial down payment. I know MANY people like this. They're not living in the McMansions, not driving luxury cars (except maybe for a treat and/or vintage project car) like it's normal, not wearing flashy jewelry, etc. They're the ones who have a small office in a large building or office park... but you don't know that they actually OWN that entire piece of property.

When I was little and scoffed at a bunch of dirty pennies on a west side street outside of our church, one of these people (good family friend) reprimanded me: "Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." It's true.
( When I was a small child my little brodi - little brodi was riding his tricycle and a invisible brick cleared him over the handle bars and he dented his forehead blood everywhere lots of crying. My deceased dad cleaned the wound and taped a penny over the wound. Old healing thought which only left a circle on his forehead for 1 month. Revelance!

Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 PM

That might can earn me a new sponsor when re visiting. A nice devil...%$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area