Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times

Advertisements

When my grandfather was born Syracuse was the same size as LA.

The population of the US is growing like crazy. Our cities are shrinking and the rest is flat.

On the plus side this area is somewhat of a land that time forgot. So when "the next big thing" comes along after the car we maybe in a good position to take advantage.

As I implied in the other thread what we do not need up here is a population balloon with cars. We don't have the roads and what we do have would be in the way of building roads(drive through Oneida between 5-6 to see what I mean). Exactly what the answer is I don't know. I do know we need new blood and a non-car way to move them.

I really like the trolly idea. One in small towns like Oneida it would be a waste but Utica,Syracuse and the Western cities I think could make good use.

No buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
That used to be the case in much of the country: The StreetCar Conspiracy

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: Streetcars making a comeback in American cities but they shouldn

Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 AM

I know all about that as I have kinda a lukewarm interest in trains. This areas train history I know little about but the Herkimer area I know some. The old trolley bridge is a place I (mis)spent much of my childhood.

NY basically died after the car became huge so we have largely the same infrastructure as pre-war. We do have a lot of sprawl so we have kinda the worst of both worlds. But when I go to growing areas like say Tampa or god forbid Jacksonville I respect that they move ALOT of cars with little hassle but am appalled by the road system they had to build to do it.

I do not want Syracuse or Utica to look like Jacksonville. Oh my god no. Something different, maybe new or maybe something old.

But we need a MASSIVE amount of new people. And I mean millions not dozens. I don't know if Utica has the right bedrock but lets say it does, in my dream Utica gets SEVERAL Empire State style buildings. When I lived in Florida it had like 4 million people, now its getting near 20. Mostly the cream of the NY crop. Thats crap.

BTW having Chrome spell check says I'm spelling Utica wrong is getting annoying.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 AM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
To be honest, we don't have a lot of sprawl and Florida grew due to a lot of senior citizens moving to that state, in part. I think it had more than 4 million people for a while now.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:23 PM

You must be young, when I moved there(was moved there) in the late 60's the population was 4.9 million.

Now its 18.8 million.

Listening to people here fight growth reminds me alot of being a kid in Florida schools back in the early 70's. Them swamp crackers just afew years prior had been forced to let blacks into the schools and now a horde of Yankees. It was to much for them. There way of life was over. Progress can be scary. They adjusted. Of coarse selling the trailer with 10 acres of worthless land to them "damm Yankees" for 3 million helped.

To be fair it worked both ways. My Uncle had a nice spread out in the swamp and I'd go stay. Well the kid up the road was my age and he had a pony. My Uncle would give me an aweful time about hanging out with that worthless white trash!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area