Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,610,249 times

Advertisements

I don't like Wegmans sushi mostly because everytime I look in the case, there is no unagi and if there is, it just doesn't look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:20 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,512,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I don't like Wegmans sushi mostly because everytime I look in the case, there is no unagi and if there is, it just doesn't look good.
I rarely ever pull from the case - I'll order right from the chefs. But then again, I normally have a custom order and I want my sushi super fresh! I also do not like unagi, so I wouldn't know how it's supposed to look lol

Ever since I discovered they can make my favorite Hawaiian dish, I've been a fan

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,747,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The only place around to get good sushi is Ichiban. Chris will make you just about anything, and it is all fresh and tasty. The rice is made correctly. The fish is tenderly prepared. The attention to presentation is good.

Wegmans? Meh. The place on the corner in Armory Square (now closed) was, in a word, disgusting.
Was that Sakana-Ya? My uncle and his family would go there when visiting but I never stray from my Oriental Star. It's far too easy to get food poisoning from poorly-handled fish. I have an iron gut but the week-long fallout is remarkably unpleasant.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,610,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It's far too easy to get food poisoning from poorly-handled fish. I have an iron gut but the week-long fallout is remarkably unpleasant.
Tha is why I will never eat at Hinderwadels again. It's a great diet plan though.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM

845 posts, read 1,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Was that Sakana-Ya? My uncle and his family would go there when visiting but I never stray from my Oriental Star. It's far too easy to get food poisoning from poorly-handled fish. I have an iron gut but the week-long fallout is remarkably unpleasant.
No it was Ambrosia. It was more of a "scene" place than a food place. Big fusion menu with sushi just one of the things they offered - but in general they didn't have a good reputation for their food. Sakana Ya is in the middle of the block and is decent. I have only moderate experience with sushi but have enjoyed my meals there. I tried Kyoko in Fayetteville and didn't like it as much. I rarely get anything other than the simplest maki rolls or seaweed salad from the grocery store sushi cases and have no opinions to offer on quality.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 13,300 times
UPDATE: I am renting an apartment in Syracuse. Wish me luck, all.

Interesting views from everyone. Too bad some people became very defensive when all I did was ask questions (perhaps value-laden ones though?). I have not lived in Syracuse, but I have lived in upstate NY for 3 years. Buffalo, Rochester, etc. I know them well. It's all pretty similar after you get out of the NYC metro.

Ideally, I wanted to go back to Connecticut to be closer to my family but I'd have to settle for a lesser job over there. Syracuse will serve for the experience. I will be commuting about 45 minutes. That won't be ideal either, but it's doable.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 PM

92,667 posts, read 122,997,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
UPDATE: I am renting an apartment in Syracuse. Wish me luck, all.

Interesting views from everyone. Too bad some people became very defensive when all I did was ask questions (perhaps value-laden ones though?). I have not lived in Syracuse, but I have lived in upstate NY for 3 years. Buffalo, Rochester, etc. I know them well. It's all pretty similar after you get out of the NYC metro.

Ideally, I wanted to go back to Connecticut to be closer to my family but I'd have to settle for a lesser job over there. Syracuse will serve for the experience. I will be commuting about 45 minutes. That won't be ideal either, but it's doable.
Where are you driving from?

There are slight differences actually between the 3 areas. Rochester is more white collar, while the other two have more of a blue collar vibe. There is some crossover in that regard though.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM

294 posts, read 741,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imj7 View Post
Smuggo don't do it. I moved to Syracuse 2 years ago at 21 because it was the only place I could get a job. I pretty much lost 2 years of my life. I now live in NYC where I can no longer save a ton of money but the cheap cost of living definitely isn't worth living in Syracuse.
Hyperbole much? If you're going to describe something as "losing 2 years of your life", it had better refer to heroin addiction, jail, a bad marriage or something of that nature. Living and working in Syracuse hardly qualifies.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 AM

127 posts, read 271,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
Hyperbole much? If you're going to describe something as "losing 2 years of your life", it had better refer to heroin addiction, jail, a bad marriage or something of that nature. Living and working in Syracuse hardly qualifies.
Living in Syracuse was pretty much a 2 year jail sentence to me.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,857,595 times
[quote=Smuggo;19862691]"Pittsburgh is pretty important. They have UPMC and UPitt. It's well known for being the swingback among the "rust belt" cities. It's coming back in a big way and it is flourishing economically, while places like Syracuse just continue to decline."

I respectfully disagree for a number of reasons.

Granted Pittsburgh has a bigger base, but Allegheny County's population declined by 4.6 percent, and Pittsburgh's by 8.6 percent during the decade. The city's loss was slightly less steep than in the decade before, when it approached 10 percent. Granted Providence and New Haven grew over the last ten years, but so did Onondaga County and the Syracuse MSA...to some degree the CNY region. I think Syracuse has a lot in common with both Providence and New Haven, both in size and character. Syracuse is also taking charge of its future, with creative ideas through collaboration with community stakeholders.

The Syracuse/CNY census data for 2010 show that Onondaga County has grown by 8,690 residents according to 2010 U.S. Census; Madison County increased to 73,442 from 69,441 a 5.8 percent population gain. The city of Oneida gained 406 people, or 3.7 percent, to 11,393; Cortland County increased to 49,336 from 48,599. The city of Cortland gained 464 people, or 2.5 percent, to 19,204. Both Cayuga and Oswego Counties basically remained flat.

Revised figures show that the City's population actually lost less people due to a census tract error with the Town of Dewitt (which still gained after the error). The City's population actually dropped 1 %, not the 1.5 % originally reported. The City was supposed to drop another 10,000 people to 137,000 from 147,000, but it stabilized at 145,000. Growth in the downtown area may have contributed to that result.

Syracuse and CNY has had its share of struggles, but compared to other cities it is doing quite well. One only has to look at Buffalo and perhaps Rochester. Syracuse has made tremendous strides over the last ten years by transforming its economy from a heavy manufacturing to a green-based economy focused on the Education, Medical and Technology sectors. I believe this transition will continue with the new Center of Excellence, the CNY Biotechnology Research Center under construction, the proposed Cancer Research Center, the Golisano Childrens Hospital, expansions at St. Joseph's Medical Center, the VA regional spinal cord facilty under construction and, other developments in the area. The changing economy has brought people to the area as indicated above.

I was watching WCNY's Financial Fitness with guests, Mayor Stephanie Miner, County Executive Joannie Mahonney and the Presidents of SUNY Upstate Medical University and SUNY ESF (all doing a great job), I was shocked when the host of the show did not know of all the planning initiatives taking place in the area. My point is, even prominent business leaders may not be aware of what is going on in Syracuse/CNY which can translate in the national press.

Compared to the Buffalo region and other metros across the country (i.e. Detroit, Youngstown, etc), Syracuse and CNY look very good. Information is needed that educates, markets and promotes changes taking place and the history of the area that instills pride.

If you want a summary on Syracuse and the CNY region, particularly its history, demographics and revitalization, check out the Wikipedia link below:

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry for the long winded post, but I think Syracuse is as competitive as the other cities you mention. It just has a little catching up to do, but it is going in the right direction.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 08-18-2011 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area