Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizgar View Post
Thank you I need something as soon as possible. I was also thinking of moving to Manlius, I heard a that its very nice
It is nice, but is further away from your sister in law. Camillus is also nice and is still pretty close to your sister in law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,340 times
Default ?? Shock !!

Hello Lizgar,

WOW!! You're ? NOT ? afraid of Cultural SHOCK!! You're ? NOT ? afraid of Atmosphere/Surroundings SHOCK? BIG difference between living in HUGE Brooklyn/NYC and tiny (in comparison) Syracuse. Several MILLION people in NYC and less than 500,000 in Metro Syracuse. There's a lot more available for you and your children in Brooklyn/NYC than in Syracuse. You may get Bored here. In comparison, Buffalo/Niagara Falls Metro has about 1,200,000 people. As long as you have considered all this, then go for it. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM

9 posts, read 13,907 times
I prefer moving to Syracuse because the cost of living is VERY expensive in NYC. The prices for apartments are ridiculous. Right now its me, my husband and my 2 boys all sleeping in a one bedroom apartment, I am paying 1,167.00 and that is not even including utilities. I cant even afford a two bedroom apartment. EVERYTHING in nyc is going up. The school districts are not that great. I been to Syracuse plenty of times and I love it. I dont want to go to Buffalo, it may have more people but I dont have any family there. I like Syracuse its small but its way better than nyc right now....TRUST ME !

Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
Actually... a one BR for $1167 without utilities sounds fairly cheap for Brooklyn or Queens. You might find a three BR flat in a two family house on the edge of Strathmore or in one of the better parts of Eastwood for perhaps $750 - $850. A two BR apartment in a complex will be about the same price but with the apartment you might get heat included. With most large 3 BR flats the utilities can easily average $175 per month averaged out over 12 months.

In addition to Roberts, Ed Smith is another highly rated elementary school but it's in the outer University area and the price f 3 BR flats and apartments in general is often high there because of the univeristy (as much as 1.5X to 2X the prices in other parts of the city.)

Manlius is nice but if your car ever goes on the fritz or you're a one car family with two working adults... it's quite a schlep to the city and the public transportation system here is very limited in scope and frequency because we have a large are and relatively small population.

You might also consider the Dewitt area - it's an older suburb on the edge of the city... easier to get places if the car has issues, close to shopping etc. and the Jamesville-Dewitt Schools are very good straight through 12th grade. Syracusee has some great teachers and is trying hard but the middle schools and especially the high schools are struggling with issues. To provide an example... the NYC public school results, after correcting for the number rigging done by Bloomberg's administration... still show an average graduation rate of about 60% and a "college ready" rate of about 24% (or so I read in a recent article.) The Syracuse public high schools were recently reported as having average graduation rates of 46% and a "college ready" rate of 9%.

Report: Only 37 percent of New York high school freshmen become college- and career-ready within four years | syracuse.com

Good kids with a parent or parents who provide structure, discipline and instill the right values at home will still find that their kids can succeed in the city high schools - but it's a bigger challenge than ever for such kids to find the right set of peers and avoid the distractions that are inherent in a school with major performance problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizgar View Post
I prefer moving to Syracuse because the cost of living is VERY expensive in NYC. The prices for apartments are ridiculous. Right now its me, my husband and my 2 boys all sleeping in a one bedroom apartment, I am paying 1,167.00 and that is not even including utilities. I cant even afford a two bedroom apartment. EVERYTHING in nyc is going up. The school districts are not that great. I been to Syracuse plenty of times and I love it. I dont want to go to Buffalo, it may have more people but I dont have any family there. I like Syracuse its small but its way better than nyc right now....TRUST ME !
Hello Lizgar, Husband, & 2 boys,

You've already visited Syracuse many times. That's great. So you have seen the Metro area and are somewhat familar with the City & Suburbs=great!! As long as you believe you'll be happier here especially with the more reasonable cost of living, I say, Welcome to Syracuse! Our area is also rated as a good place to raise children.

I agree with what "phaelon56" (above C-D Member) said about Dewitt. The Jamesville-Dewitt School District is well rated for education; might be better for your boys than some Syracuse city schools. There is Very Major shopping stores, restaurants, all sorts of businesses located in Dewitt for your convenience. Dewitt is on the City Bus Routes if or when your family might need to use bus service.

If you do some research, I'm sure you can find a decent 2 or 3 bedroom apartment in your price range for your family.

I wish you the best of luck with your possible move to Syracuse. Again, Welcome to Syracuse.

grdnrman

Old 08-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Interesting article...... Going by that article, Westhill might be the best choice in terms of achievement, location and finding apartments in the OP's range.

I think this article speaks to a wide range of aspects and how they differ between urban, small town/rural and suburban schools in terms of economics, immigration/assimilation, family structure/support systems and how one size doesn't fit all. That's not getting into Special Education as well

Also, how do they come to the conclusion as to who is college ready using their criteria? What about vocation ready as well?

Lastly, is the 75% graduation rate of Central Tech's first senior class this year going to make the SCSD consider more specialized school programs? I know that Syracuse Academy of Science had a 81% graduation rate and in spite of the 10% college ready tag, maybe a solution is right in front of their faces. Even Corcoran, has the IB program and while it is not great, has the highest graduation rate out of the SCSD HS's last June.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
Unfortunately there is little public discussion and no published figures that I've seen about the placement rates and post high school successes (or lack of same) for the SCSD vocational programs. Many kids won't be socially ready or motivated enough for college when they are 18 even if they have decent test scores (I know because I had excellent SAT scores and a high GPA but really wasn't ready or suited for college at that age.)

The test they use as a benchmark is ELA - English Language Arts. I think it's supposed to show how well developed a person's critical thinking is but that sort of test does have some inherent biases and doesn't test math or science reasniogn and knowledge. I assume (don't know for certain) that there is some criteria other than the ELA results but language/communication/comprehension skills are vital for success in all careers. Most skilled trades require math, science or reading and comprehension skills.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Unfortunately there is little public discussion and no published figures that I've seen about the placement rates and post high school successes (or lack of same) for the SCSD vocational programs. Many kids won't be socially ready or motivated enough for college when they are 18 even if they have decent test scores (I know because I had excellent SAT scores and a high GPA but really wasn't ready or suited for college at that age.)

The test they use as a benchmark is ELA - English Language Arts. I think it's supposed to show how well developed a person's critical thinking is but that sort of test does have some inherent biases and doesn't test math or science reasniogn and knowledge. I assume (don't know for certain) that there is some criteria other than the ELA results but language/communication/comprehension skills are vital for success in all careers. Most skilled trades require math, science or reading and comprehension skills.
If the benchmark is ELA, think about the school districts that get effected from that. Especially if the urban or highly diverse SD has an above average to high ESL student population.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:25 AM

9 posts, read 13,907 times
Phaelon56, what I was trying to say is that for a one bedroom apartment I pay 1,167.00 and utilities are not included. I still have to pay light, gas, etc. I only have one car and from I hear Syracuse tends to have a lot of snow storms, so my husband might have to get a Jeep. I've been looking for schools and I am considering Roberts and a private school that is nearby my home. 've seen negative reviews online about Bellevue school. I need to find a Daycare for my two year old so far I know of one nearby but I havent actually seen it yet . How far is Dewitt from where I plan to live (clairmonte Avenue next to onondaga park) ?. How is the bus schedules in Syracuse ? The buses run in NYC every 15 minutes but that is because NYC is more populated.

Grdnrman: Thanks for the info !! I've heard from several people and magazines (forbes) that Syracuse is a great place to raise a family. I am a mother of two boys, 5 and 2 and I love spending quality time and taking them out to places. so far I have taken the to Rosamond Gifford zoo and onondaga park is literally 2 steps from where I plan on living but is there any other places I can take them to ? especially around certain Holidays or seasons (ice skating, pumpkin picking, aquarium, beaches etc.). Please help !!!!!!!. and thank you for welcoming us Syracuse

Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 AM

60 posts, read 109,903 times
You will not "need" a jeep. With a front wheel drive car and snow tires, you will be able to get around the area's roads 99% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area