Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,317 times

Advertisements

i am looking for a neighborhood in syracuse, that is ethnically diverse, good schools, safe, fun, rural/suburban mix.. help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I'd say either the Jamesville/Nottingham Road area of the Jamesville-DeWitt SD(pretty much the area that feeds into Tecumseh Elementary), parts of the Onondaga Central SD(which has noticeable amounts of Black and Native American students) or maybe parts of the town of Clay in the Liverpool, North Syracuse or Baldwinsville SD's. Fayetyeville-Manlius has a decent amount of Asian students(about 7-8%), with a few Black and a couple of Hispanic students. LaFayette SD is about 25-30% Native American and is more rural, with the bulk of the Native students coming from the Onondaga Nation Reservation. I'd say the best choice would be the Jamesville-DeWitt location in terms of the criteria. These websites can give you an idea of school information: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

New York Schools - Find a Public or Private New York School - SchoolDigger.com

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Onondaga (broken link)

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Also, do you have a price range? Are you looking to rent or buy? Do you want something walkable?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

60 posts, read 109,880 times
East side of the city.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
East side of the city.
Yeah, I'm not sure if "suburban/rural" and "ethnically diverse" are mutually exclusive per se, but they make for a difficult combination to find.

East side of the city wins for diversity in Central New York.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,686 times
Ethnically diverse is a relative term. The Salt Springs neighborhood, running from a few blocks below Seeley Road up to the LeMoyne campus and bounded on the north and south by Mountainview and Salt Springs Road, is roughly 60% to 70% black with the balance predominately white. The area on the hill just to the south of Lemoyne - which has somewhat more expensive homes (in some cases larger and newer) and has boundaries of East Genesee Street, Manor Drive, Salt Springs Rd. and Sunnyside Park Rd., is roughly 40% black and 60% white. These are of course very rough guesses.

Those areas are all inside city limits and part of the Syracuse City School District. Lots of great teachers and good students in the SCSD but the district is increasingly challenged - especially at the high school levels. I encourage you to look up the recent data on graduation rates and "college ready" rate for the Syracuse schools and those of surrounding suburbs.

I think Dewitt is the next logical area for finding a diverse or integrated population. My educated guess is that you'll find more Indian, Pakistani, middle Eastern and Asian families in Dewitt and Fayetteville than you will in other area suburbs or in the city. Due to the smaller percentage of those groups in our local population I can't really guess at any defined neighborhood where you'll find any particular group in largest numbers. In Dewitt the most diverse/integrated area is triangular in shape and has the boundaries of Thompson Rd., Erie Blvd East and Stanton Drive (Stanton has two separate sections - this is the leg of it that starts off Thompson near the Jewish Community center and winds around down behind the Econo Lodge hotel to end at Erie Blvd. East.) Again... strictly a guess here.... but I think that area is roughly 50/50 black and white, and has newer homes rather than a mix of old and new (in that area newer means built in the 60's through 80's rather than 20's through 40's.) There you have the benefit of being in the Jamesville-Dewitt School District - which has a fairly diverse student mix and a very good academic reputation.

I live in the Meadowbrook Drive area and you'll find that (for reasons I don't grasp) about half of the homes on Meadowbrook Drive itself to be owned by black families - yet when you move onto the side streets that run off Meadowbrook (including mine) there are only a handful of black or interracial families here and there.

IMHO you are correct to focus your search on the east side of the city and the nearby Eastern suburbs. Historically, it has been the upwardly mobile housing migration path first for Jewish families who were originally clustered in the old 15th Ward and subsequently for black families.

Note: I hope you'll look on my street - Scott Ave - it's a very welcoming street but in the two block stretch I live on there is just one interracial family (who is moving) and one black family.)

Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure if "suburban/rural" and "ethnically diverse" are mutually exclusive per se, but they make for a difficult combination to find.

East side of the city wins for diversity in Central New York.
Yeah, given the criteria it is pretty tough, but I thought about the options that make the most sense.

Also, some North and West side neighborhoods are pretty diverse, but are mostly working poor/working class.

As for suburban communities, Nedrow is roughly 10% Black and 8-9% Native American. I believe the area of DeWitt that was the old DeWitt(cdp) is about 15% Black and 7-8% Asian. I know that it has increased in other suburban communities too. Here's a good website for info.: 2010 Census Interactive Population Search

Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM

580 posts, read 1,173,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, given the criteria it is pretty tough, but I thought about the options that make the most sense.

Also, some North and West side neighborhoods are pretty diverse, but are mostly working poor/working class.

As for suburban communities, Nedrow is roughly 10% Black and 8-9% Native American. I believe the area of DeWitt that was the old DeWitt(cdp) is about 15% Black and 7-8% Asian. I know that it has increased in other suburban communities too. Here's a good website for info.: 2010 Census Interactive Population Search
Oh yeah, your suggestions were good ones (well, those northern areas I'm not so sure about).

North side of Syracuse is very diverse - really terrific collection of cultures and nationalities - but I'm not sure if I'd want to live in some of those neighborhoods, and if I don't, it's likely that most newbies really wouldn't be too keen on them.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Oh yeah, your suggestions were good ones (well, those northern areas I'm not so sure about).

North side of Syracuse is very diverse - really terrific collection of cultures and nationalities - but I'm not sure if I'd want to live in some of those neighborhoods, and if I don't, it's likely that most newbies really wouldn't be too keen on them.
Yeah, that's why I included the economic aspect of those urban areas.

As for the Northern suburbs, Liverpool SD is actually right behind J-D in terms of the percentage of Black students and also has a few Asian and Hispanic students. Volume of the diversity varies by school though. North Syracuse SD is similar, but with less volume. Interestingly, there is a Black principal at Roxboro Road Elementary, the head of elementary education for the district is Black, as is the new school superintendent. Both were districts that Black families moved to in the 1970's and 1980's when they were starting to move to the suburbs. Same somewhat with B'ville. Much of it was due to the former Hancock AFB and the breweries(Bud in B'ville and the former Miller plant in Fulton).

Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,317 times
my family is puerto rican, chinese, mexican and black... with a st bernard dog.. so i am looking for a safe place that we will fit in, get a good education for our daughter, i dont want to live in a neighborhood that is all one color.. be it black, brown or white. I am orginally from chicago, so diversity is very important to me. being that i have never been to syracuse.. i am writing notes of all these repsonses so when we plan our weekend trip up there, we can know where to begin looking . we are looking to rent a house with a fenced yard.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Does school size matter? How much land are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area