U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,133 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My husband will be playing for the Syracuse Crunch hockey team this fall and we will be moving there in September. Could you recommend some safe areas? I have 2 dogs and we will be looking for a rental property with a yard, courtyard, or near a dog park. Most importantly, I would like a safe area, as he will be on the road alot and I will not know anyone in town. Peace of mind!

Also, we will have alot of visiting guests... anything to recommend to do around town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,219,338 times
What breed and size of dog? Most rentals have size or breed limits, so that would be helpful to know.
It sounds like Liverpool would be a good fit for you. They have a pretty good dog park out there. Wegmans Good Dog Park Onondaga County Parks

Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

56,766 posts, read 81,102,256 times
I'd say the Liverpool or Baldwinsville areas, as there is a big dog park off of Route 370 at Onondaga Lake Park. There is a dog park in the Tipperary Hill neighborhood at Pass Arboretum. That might work in terms of some things to do, as there are some pubs/bars in the neighborhood. That's if you are into that scene at all. Wegmans Good Dog Park Onondaga County Parks

James Pass Arboretum

Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Correction on Pass Arboretum. There isn't a dog park like the one in Liverpool, but it is a popular place for walking the dog and meeting others that walk their dogs as well. Burnet Park is right across the street too.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,133 times
Thanks! How far from the War Memorial rink would this area be (minutes to drive?)

Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 PM

1,537 posts, read 2,219,338 times
15-20 minutes tops.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofieMarion View Post
Thanks! How far from the War Memorial rink would this area be (minutes to drive?)
Tipperary Hill is a quick drive down West Genesee Street to Downtown and you would take a right onto South Salina Street, then a left onto Washington Street and a right onto South State Street to the War Memorial.

Liverpool would be a 10-15 minute ride on I-81 South to the Adams Street exit. Then, beer to the right and take Harrison Street to the War Memorial. Here are some websites that might help in finding a place: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Syracuse Apartment Rentals | Syracuse NY Apartment Finder

I found that Jamesville Beach County Park has an off leash area for dogs too: DogFriendly.com's Travel Guide: Jamesville Beach Park Off-Leash Area

Jamesville Beach Park Onondaga County Parks

Here's some more good information: Finger Lakes, New York | Dog Parks, Kennels, and Dog-Friendly Hotels in the Finger Lakes, New York

Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 AM

838 posts, read 1,433,371 times
The War Memorial facility is about a 15 - 20 minute drive from most parts of the city as well as from the closer suburbs including Liverpool, Dewitt, Fairmount, Camillus, Jamesville and Fayetteville. Depending on traffic it's about five minutes more to Manlius and perhaps another five to Clay, Raddison and Baldwinsville. There will always be exceptions of course - depending on traffic and where within the suburb you are living. But traffic problems, apart from well publicized highway detours or delays (which can be avoided) during the summer construction season, are nearly non-existent.

I live in the Outer University / Meadowbrook area - which I absolutely love. It takes me 7 to 8 minutes to reach the War memorial area. It's quiet, the homes are lovely and well maintained, and it has the feel of a real neighborhood in the sense of a variety of style and vintages of homes. As you've seen - dog parks are far and few between but there are so many options. I see dozens of people walking dogs in my neighborhood every day. You just have to bring a bag to handle their stuff as you cann't leave it ont he neighbor's lawn. Many people in my end of town take their dogs to the areas around the athletic fields and tennis courts behind Nottingham High School where there's lots of room to run and also to the Hookway tract - a beautiful pond and semi-wooded and walking area adjacent to Barry Park on the city's outer east side. There are places such as this all over the city.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
The War Memorial facility is about a 15 - 20 minute drive from most parts of the city as well as from the closer suburbs including Liverpool, Dewitt, Fairmount, Camillus, Jamesville and Fayetteville. Depending on traffic it's about five minutes more to Manlius and perhaps another five to Clay, Raddison and Baldwinsville. There will always be exceptions of course - depending on traffic and where within the suburb you are living. But traffic problems, apart from well publicized highway detours or delays (which can be avoided) during the summer construction season, are nearly non-existent.

I live in the Outer University / Meadowbrook area - which I absolutely love. It takes me 7 to 8 minutes to reach the War memorial area. It's quiet, the homes are lovely and well maintained, and it has the feel of a real neighborhood in the sense of a variety of style and vintages of homes. As you've seen - dog parks are far and few between but there are so many options. I see dozens of people walking dogs in my neighborhood every day. You just have to bring a bag to handle their stuff as you cann't leave it ont he neighbor's lawn. Many people in my end of town take their dogs to the areas around the athletic fields and tennis courts behind Nottingham High School where there's lots of room to run and also to the Hookway tract - a beautiful pond and semi-wooded and walking area adjacent to Barry Park on the city's outer east side. There are places such as this all over the city.
That is true. You see that around Upper Onondaga Park in Strathmore too.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM

655 posts, read 2,047,708 times
Default I suggest Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Radisson or Camillus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofieMarion View Post
Hello everyone!

My husband will be playing for the Syracuse Crunch hockey team this fall and we will be moving there in September. Could you recommend some safe areas? I have 2 dogs and we will be looking for a rental property with a yard, courtyard, or near a dog park. Most importantly, I would like a safe area, as he will be on the road alot and I will not know anyone in town. Peace of mind!

Also, we will have alot of visiting guests... anything to recommend to do around town?
Hello SofieMarion,

I would suggest an Apartment, Townhome or Single Family Home in the Liverpool area, Baldwinsville, Radisson, or Camillus; most areas in these suburbs are very safe, nice neighborhoods which you/your husband and your visiting guests would like, enjoy, and feel very safe there. Radisson is a nice/pleasant/quiet planned community and has meandering walking/jogging/bicycling paths throughout the large development, a golf course, lots of forested areas where you may see wildlife/rabbits/etc., ponds where you may see ducks/geese paddling around the water, more. Some rentals accept pet dogs especially if they are small size. Single Family Homes might be more apt to accept Large pet dogs.

You may want to take your visiting guests to the Armory Square area downtown Syr., Dinosaur BBQ Restaurant downtown Syr., The Retreat Restaurant in Liverpool, The Limp Lizard in Liverpool, and Coleman's Irish Pub & Restaurant in Tipperary Hill area of Syr.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 08-18-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area